Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil For 2.2 D-cat

T Sport 1978

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using 10w40 oil in the 2.2 (T180/SR180) engine.

The book saids that it recommends 5w30 for it, but my garage saids that they used 10w40 on all models and believe that this is fine.

The difference between the 2 is that 5w30 has better cold start characteristics, but 10w40 is better for higher temps/higher loads.

Either way, does it really matter and if so what is the worst case scenario?

Also anyone with experience with using fully synthetic on this engine?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using 10w40 oil in the 2.2 (T180/SR180) engine.

The book saids that it recommends 5w30 for it, but my garage saids that they used 10w40 on all models and believe that this is fine.

The difference between the 2 is that 5w30 has better cold start characteristics, but 10w40 is better for higher temps/higher loads.

Either way, does it really matter and if so what is the worst case scenario?

Also anyone with experience with using fully synthetic on this engine?

They use 10W-40 because it is much cheaper!!! In Japan the engineers spent a lot of time to find the best match for the engine. I wouldn't trust on the garage. (Actually I didn't do...they wanted to fill the same into mine (it is just 2.0 D-4D)) I will always use 5w-30 and just fully-synthetic! It works better after 10.000km than the semi-synthetic. If it is possible buy the oil for yourself and bring it. Check the HTHS number. If it higher than 3.5mPas, the oil can deal with the high temperature and load. For example: Mobil1 ESP Formula 5w-30 is perfect for your car!

There was a similar topic on the forum some times ago. I asked the same question. 5w30 is fully synthetic when 10W40 is semi. I wouldn't ask if they only changed the grade (5W20 or 5W40) but if they switch the technology oil was made that is a question (10W40 can be fully synthetic too). Maybe someone from Toyota could explain that.

As mountain_mania wrote developing right oil for a modern engine is not easy task. Toyota already got it wrong in the past (as VW, BMW and few others.)

There was a similar topic on the forum some times ago. I asked the same question. 5w30 is fully synthetic when 10W40 is semi. I wouldn't ask if they only changed the grade (5W20 or 5W40) but if they switch the technology oil was made that is a question (10W40 can be fully synthetic too). Maybe someone from Toyota could explain that.

As mountain_mania wrote developing right oil for a modern engine is not easy task. Toyota already got it wrong in the past (as VW, BMW and few others.)

Not quite right, 5W 30 is usually SEMI synthetic, it is the oil you should be using, unless you want to blow a hole in your pocket and spend more than you need to

A good/well known brand of 5W 30 Semi synthetic will be perfect

Kingo

Not quite right, 5W 30 is usually SEMI synthetic, it is the oil you should be using, unless you want to blow a hole in your pocket and spend more than you need to

Kingo

Hi kingo :king:

does that go for the 1.6 petrol engine as well , ( 5w 30 )

Kingo

Thanks for the reply so far.

What i really want to know is whether 10w40 is ok for the job? Do i need to kick a fuss with my garage/dealer as they use this and this alone?

You can get synthetic and semi synthetic for both grade, what i want to know however is does one work better than the other (Full Syn vs Semi Syn)?

I would also like to know because i've done nearly 20k and my garage uses Shell 10/40 oil.

This is what my local dealer told/gave me to use.

topupoilte9.jpg

You can get synthetic and semi synthetic for both grade, what i want to know however is does one work better than the other (Full Syn vs Semi Syn)?

The full-synthetic is much better, if you choose a good brand! The difference will be bigger after 8000-10000km!

Kingo

I use BP Visco 7000 5W-40 TurboDiesel Sport, it only costs about 35€/4L.

It claims to be fully synthetic, API CL/CF

Have you any opinion about this oil ?

The full-synthetic is much better, if you choose a good brand! The difference will be bigger after 8000-10000km!

So when my oil change is due, do you think it would be ok to use fully synthetic Castrol Magnetec?

So when my oil change is due, do you think it would be ok to use fully synthetic Castrol Magnetec?

I haven't tried the Magnetec. The Edge is a newer type.

Now I have Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 0w-30 in my engine. It started to "eat" it after 10000km (from max to the middle, it is absolutely correct). Some guys had the same experiences with EDGE. They changed to Mobil1 and the engine doesn't eat it after 13000km!So next time (next month) I will buy Mobil1 ESP Formula 5w-30. (The objective viscosity is not slighlt differ from the EDGE 0W-30)

In my book I read, that the oil should be ACEA C1, or minimum ACEA B5 (Mobil1 fits (B5) Castrol doesn't...)

In my country it's quite common to bring the oil because for the same price MUCH BETTER oil can be bought in a webshop!

does that go for the 1.6 petrol engine as well , ( 5w 30 )

I was just looking at my user's manual and Toyota recomends 0W-20 for 1ZR-FE (like yours and mine). They say: If you are unable to find SAE 0W-20, then you can use 0W-30 but at the next oil change you MUST use 0W-20.

Kingo

Kingo 5W30 is usually fully synthetic (it is hard to find it semi). When I asked my dealer about oil used they said "5W30 full synthetic". Most of car manufacturers are very strict about oil class and you would loose warranty if you put semi to the new engine. Difference between full synthetic and semi is huge so the price.

Most of car manufacturers are very strict about oil class and you would loose warranty if you put semi to the new engine. Difference between full synthetic and semi is huge so the price.

Despite this fact, garages doesn't care about it, and use 10w-40 semi-s for all cars.

Most of car manufacturers are very strict about oil class and you would loose warranty if you put semi to the new engine. Difference between full synthetic and semi is huge so the price.

Despite this fact, garages doesn't care about it, and use 10w-40 semi-s for all cars.

That is the reason I asked. Just want to know... :help:

My local Toyota garage only uses Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 for all the high performace engines, Diesel 2.2s and 1.8 TS etc.

There is no EXACT spec of oil, because it different countries, ambient temperatures mean you should have a different spec oil, that is why in the handbook there are a range of oils you can use

You can get BOTH semi and fully synthetic 5w 30, we use semi in our workshop, and I supply Toyota branded 5w 30 semi in packs for over the counter sales. 10w 40 can be used, although there will be a very slight decrease in MPG fuel consumption (less per gallon)

The ONLY engine you need different oil for, is the new 1.33 Auris engine, this has thinner oil for the stop/start system

Don't get too hung up about 5w 30 or 10w 40, so long as you get a good branded name, it will be fine

Kingo :thumbsup:

There is no EXACT spec of oil, because it different countries, ambient temperatures mean you should have a different spec oil, that is why in the handbook there are a range of oils you can use

You can get BOTH semi and fully synthetic 5w 30, we use semi in our workshop, and I supply Toyota branded 5w 30 semi in packs for over the counter sales. 10w 40 can be used, although there will be a very slight decrease in MPG fuel consumption (less per gallon)

The ONLY engine you need different oil for, is the new 1.33 Auris engine, this has thinner oil for the stop/start system

Don't get too hung up about 5w 30 or 10w 40, so long as you get a good branded name, it will be fine

Thanks Parts King, how much of a difference could oil make to MPG? Could those people whom have had bad experience with MPG be caused by the use of thicker oil?

Incidentally, my car uses 10W40 and has just been topped up with the same.

Just did a long round trip to Leeds for work and it did the return in 1 tank from full (470) miles and it wasn't even showing low... I filled up anyway and calculated the MPG to be 45.68 which is pretty much spot on the money on quoted MPG.

I am going to insist on 5W30 on my next service as the manual suggests this, will see how much a difference there is with MPG.

Thanks Parts King, how much of a difference could oil make to MPG? Could those people whom have had bad experience with MPG be caused by the use of thicker oil?

Incidentally, my car uses 10W40 and has just been topped up with the same.

Just did a long round trip to Leeds for work and it did the return in 1 tank from full (470) miles and it wasn't even showing low... I filled up anyway and calculated the MPG to be 45.68 which is pretty much spot on the money on quoted MPG.

I am going to insist on 5W30 on my next service as the manual suggests this, will see how much a difference there is with MPG.

Interesting point about the MPG

I can only assume with the thicker oil, there is more friction in the chambers and therefore it needs more fuel to generate the same power.

I think its clutching at straws and that is only my interpretation. It could be a totally different reason, but i might suggest the other oil grade too.

Synthetic oils reduce the friction as they are made in different technology to semi synthetic. There are only polymers that are required and nothing else so the friction is reduced. It has completely different molecular structure (lighter molecules pump much easier ). In semi there is still mineral base and that is imperfect.

Toyota recommends 5W30 (good cleaning, friction reduction, fuels saving etc) but this oil is almost unavailable as semi synthetic (I know Kingo said they sell it). 5W30 is usually full synthetic (just check any reseller). That is why they pour 10W40.

Semi oils are still good but remember oils is not only to reduce the friction. It cleans, reduces heat, reduces deposits etc, and full synthetic oils are much better in this. So I do not understand why the step back- only because it is cheaper?

It is not recommended to change the oil from thicker to thinner as that may increase its consumption and engine may start "leaking"- especially with high mileage engines.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links