Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noob Celica Owner - Airbag, Battery Disconnection & Brakes Questio

Felfy

Hi All

I'm a Noob Celica Gen 7 GT Owner, (Nov 2006 reg), with a couple of niggling problems/glitches & questions

1. The SRS Airbag Warning Light has started flashing - the weird thing is it doesn't flash all the time - it flashes on 3 out of 4 ignition starts....
    (Also, is this problem covered by the 3 Year Manufacurers Warranty)?
  2. In relation to the above issue, I have read on this forum that disconnecting the Battery overnight might solve the problem
    Airbag Problem - Disconnect Battery Suggestion
    Are there any inherrent 'dangers' involved in this? i.e. Alarm & Immobilzer/ECU problems?
  3. The travel on my brake pedal sems a little 'long' - is it a case of just bleeding the brakes & is it a simple/straightforward operation on a Celica GT?
    Or is there a more sinister problem lurking beneath the 'sponginess' of the pedal

Any help/suggestions for rectifying these problems/niggles are appreciated

Otherwise, I'm a very, very happy Celica GT owner

(Cost me an arm, a leg & a couple of inches of hairline, but it has always been my 'Dream Car')

Best Wishes

Felfy

Hiya and welcome to TOC!

Regarding the first two, if your car is still under warranty then take it back. The disconnecting the Battery over night won't hurt at all, but it's doubtful it will make it any better either. If you already have a fault such as a dodgy connection it will still be there after.

It's a good idea to disconnect the Battery on your toyota for 10 mins or so when you first have it anyway so it can learn your driving style.

I believe the pedal travel is quite long on all of them, it certainly is on my T sport. You soon get used to it.

Either way, if it's under warranty then get them to have a look at all of your questions really - it's there for that very reason i suppose! B)

Thanks for the quick reply sjrainsford

I've followed your advice & I'm taking it down to a local Toyota Dealership for a 'checkup', I'll post back with the outcome later on

But,

It's a good idea to disconnect the battery on your toyota for 10 mins or so when you first have it anyway so it can learn your driving style.

You are joking about this aren't you?

The Celica can't be that good can it? That it actually 'learns' the way you drive your car? How so?

If it's true, then I'm even more impressed...... :eek:

Thanks for the info

Best Wishes

Felfy

Hiya and welcome to TOC!

Regarding the first two, if your car is still under warranty then take it back. The disconnecting the battery over night won't hurt at all, but it's doubtful it will make it any better either. If you already have a fault such as a dodgy connection it will still be there after.

It's a good idea to disconnect the battery on your toyota for 10 mins or so when you first have it anyway so it can learn your driving style.

I believe the pedal travel is quite long on all of them, it certainly is on my T sport. You soon get used to it.

Either way, if it's under warranty then get them to have a look at all of your questions really - it's there for that very reason i suppose! B)

does the car really learn the style of your driving? might try it on mine

Update on Dealership visit

Popped into Westlands Toyota in Stourbridge, (very friendly, helpful & professianal people), & the Technicians checked the Airbag System & Brakes for me

(Took about one hour)

Results are as follows:-

1. False alarm on the Airbag Warning System - Possibly caused by a loose plug/short circuit on the Driver/Passenger seat. (Warning Light reset)
  2. Brakes/Lines/Pads checked & system bled - Yes, one of the Technicians acknowledges that the Celica GT, (et al), does have a long-ish & slightly soft Brake Pedal
    (I may be old-fashioned, but I prefer a 'stronger/stiffer' feel on my Pedal- any tips on how to achieve this are appreciated)
  3. I may try the Battery Disconnection & learning 'reset' this weekend - more updates after that time. (Any more info appreciated, sjrainsford)

So that's it, my Celica is A1 now & everything was covered by the bullet-proof Toyota Manufacturers Warranty

Thanks to all for advice/contributions & Westlands Toyota in Stourbridge, (recommended)

Best Wishes

Felfy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links