Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Question And Mpg

eelblady

Hi, I've got a 1992 16v gen 5 which I've had for a few months. The ABS has never really worked properly. I initially though it might be to do with the sensors, so I checked all the connections on them, to no avail.

I've noticed that the 2 front drive shafts, which should have a toothed ring on the brake disc end, don't have the toothed ring. Does anybody know whether the rings are totally integral to the drive shaft or are they like a collar that could be slipped/fitted over the existing shaft? And if so where can I get them (cheap) from?

The drive shafts are in good condition and wouldn't otherwise need changing, plus I'm quite practised at cadence braking, so I'm reluctant to change both drive shafts unless I really have to.

One other question, I'm doing a lot of miles on packed motorways at the moment, and I'm getting 32mpg. Which seems okay, but does anybody get more, if so how (without going too slow)? Would a free flow air filter increase mpg, whilst giving more power when I'm not driving for economy? Oops, that's 2 questions

:eek:

The toothed ring you are on about is called a hub nut! There should be one on each wheel! this is what holds the wheel on to the drive shaft! :unsure:

They are not part of the drive shaft and are slipped on the end they are then held in place by a split pin.

if I was you I would get a mechanic to have a look at your car! I snapped a drive shaft in my 91 5th gen, just before the hub nut. This allowed the wheel to wobble and crush part of the abs sensor hence the ABS stopped Woking!

as for your second question i don't know.

with regards to the MPG.. i get about 50 miles on a tenner... but then i do like to DRIVE the car... :P

Thanks for your reply, but I do have a fair degree of mechanical knowledge, and unless I'm very much mistaken (and I'm not) the hub nut is located in the hub, not on the drive shaft inboard of the brake disc assembly.

The toothed ring I refer to is normally referred to as a phonic wheel that the ABS sensor 'reads' for want of a better word, to assess relative wheel speeds. I referred to it as a toothed ring, in case anybody was confused by a phonic wheel reference.

Sorry for any confusion

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links