Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Real Life Mpg Figures From Owners

aygo

:) Hi guys,

had my IQ2 multidrive a week now and just had to do the first fill up. The average mpg was reading 44.2 on the display - pretty good but nothing like the quoted figures. I do about 16 miles round trip per day through light city traffic.

The fuel guage seems a bit erratic. The dealership said they had 'filled it up' for me, and the guage showed full at first, but the first block dissappeared in about 30 miles. I had done about 160 miles and still had a couple of blocks left, then this morning, as I pulled out to go to work, the final block was flashing. I went to work and back with it still flashing and then decided to pop to the local garage ( 174 on the clock ). On the way to the garage I looked again, and I had 2 blocks again. Then when I pulled up at the pump 1 flashing block again !

Anyway, I put in just under 27 litres, and interestingly the manual says you get the flashing block with 5.9 litres left - pretty close since it is a 32 litre tank.

Sounds like the dealers idea of 'filling it up' was fill it till it shows full on the guage.... methinks

I've reset the trip now , so next fill up I'll do the calculation and see if the computer mpg matches the 'actual' amount to refill it. I'll let you know.

Happy motoring

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnan

• Billy Aygo

• Goldfish11

• T V O R

Latest average mpg on the trip meter is 55mpg, 190 miles since last reset.

Hi all,

Have had the IQ 2 manual now for 2 weeks and have been using it solely to commute my 122 mile round trip to work (No passengers or Luggage). Roads used are mainly motorway, dual carriageway and national speed limit rural roads. I have one small section of 40mph dual carriageway with 2 roundabouts and three sets of traffic lights which I have to negotiate. Steep inclines account for about 5% of my journey. I work shifts so I miss any rush hour traffic so my journeys are usually 60 - 70mph steady drives. Results so far are very dissapointing 45-48mpg based on making an note of fuel put into the car x travelled miles since last filled then calculating it via a website calculator. I have recently sold my Aygo Blue which was returning 58-60 mpg which had happily travelled this route for 18 months or so. I have actually been travelling this route for 12 years. Guess I got greedy with the IQ stats. Have carried out the usual checks tyre pressures, made sure air cons off, keeping the windows closed etc. I have also checked for heat build up around the wheels in case the discs, pads are lightly rubbing. However have found no evidence of this. Having also owned a Prius before the Aygo and a Citroen C2 1.4Hdi all used on the same journey (I take my Mpg very seriously) I can honestly say it is worse than all of them. I have now contacted the dealer and am waiting for a response from Toyota Technical. N.B. I have a colleague at work who picked one up at a different dealership (2 March) same IQ2 manual and he has also reported dissapointing mpg results. Maybe the autocar guys actually drove the car and tested the mpg for there review rather than taking the manufacturers figures as gospil.

Hi all,

New here, but looking forward to contribute. My own IQ is not really getting that great mileage either. It's ok, but nothing really great (I struggle to cover just over 300 miles on a tank, admittingly mostly stop-go traffic). I guess the biggest issue is the shape of the fuel-tank! It's flat, never been done before, and the low warning light comes on very early indeed, especially after some roundabouts.

How far can you drive after the light comes on? Any comments?

Please remember that the internal MPG measuring on the computer is likely not correct, as the speedo is over-optimistic. My MPG always shows around fifties, but I get low fuel warning quickly....

"How far can you drive after the light comes on? Any comments? "

Till you break down :lol:

I have noticed my MPG steadily going up each time i fill up..

I usually fill up just as it starts flashing so thinking this may distort the figures a bit on fuelly as i could still have a few more miles left in there! But dunno how far i can push it lol

Please remember that the internal MPG measuring on the computer is likely not correct, as the speedo is over-optimistic. My MPG always shows around fifties, but I get low fuel warning quickly....

My speedo is optimistic, as is normal, but according to gps readings the odometer is spot on, certainly on my iQ, so I have to expect the distance part of any fuel calculation will be accurate.

I usually fill up just as it starts flashing so thinking this may distort the figures a bit on fuelly as i could still have a few more miles left in there! But dunno how far i can push it lol

Hello again, Please don't base your mpg on the internal computers they are crap I have also issues with the digital fuel guage its all over the place . Use what you put in fuel at the forecourt against miles already covered and use an online website calculator (search google UK - mpg calculator) Hope this helps.

Hey, yeh i been using Fuelly to track my mpg (see sig), never looked at the trip computer lol

Hello again, Please don't base your mpg on the internal computers they are crap I have also issues with the digital fuel guage its all over the place . Use what you put in fuel at the forecourt against miles already covered and use an online website calculator (search google UK - mpg calculator) Hope this helps.

Also zero your trip meter when you fill up to assist your calculations. I can't believe that someone on the forum thought 40 odd mpg was acceptable compared to there old car! I was getting 60 mpg with the same engine (Aygo) on the same route.

Also zero your trip meter when you fill up to assist your calculations. I can't believe that someone on the forum thought 40 odd mpg was acceptable compared to there old car! I was getting 60 mpg with the same engine (Aygo) on the same route.

My Scangauge which has now been calibrated with a number of inputs of fuel used, per accurate distance covered is giving consistent reading of 53/54mpg per daily usage, which is remarkably similar to the inbuilt trip computer readings (which I would normally not trust at all).

As others have said, I would have hoped for more, as I think my Aygo gave better figures.

Much prefer the iQ though, all things considered!

Think the penny drops, I too prefer the IQ over the Aygo. The build quality and drive in general is fantastic. However I am not interested in looks (I'm 41 and baulding) I want a car that Toyota said is better than the Aygo's mpg and it clearly is not by a massive margin. Same Engine!

Second refil, shows the car has done 55mpg on that tank, no special effort trying to drive any differently.

Second refil, shows the car has done 55mpg on that tank, no special effort trying to drive any differently.

Thanks Mike for the input however you didn't mention how you calculated your mpg (don't use the cars computers as previously stated) and your driving environment!

Thanks Mike for the input however you didn't mention how you calculated your mpg (don't use the cars computers as previosly stated) and your driving enviroment!

Remember too the engine though the "same" as the Aygo has been modified to give torque and power at different rev. values to the Aygo, to give the "magic" output of co2 of 99gm/km, but to me the engine has to be driven at higher revs to match the Aygo's performance and hence economy suffers.The iQ is heavier too which doesn't help.

I wonder, if they forgot about the zero road tax lure and the 99gm/km, and just stuck the existing Aygo engine into an iQ, how much better or worse that would be.

There are some experts on this forum who know much more than I do about such things!

I guess we need to find some-one who can 'assist' to re-programme the ECU so it becomes the Aygo engine again = more useable

Thanks Johann, I wasn't aware that the IQ was heavier, that said try explaining the 15 - 20 mpg difference with my Aygo over the same journey! I suspect in order to get the 99 figure £0 tax rate (and other firsts) they have compromised on the mpg. I would rather pay the £35 yearly and have 60+ mpg over the lifetime of the car (massive savings)!

Thanks Johann, I wasn't aware that the IQ was heavier, that said try explaining the 15 - 20 mpg difference with my Aygo over the same journey! I suspect in order to get the 99 figure £0 tax rate (and other firsts) they have compromised on the mpg. I would rather pay the £35 yearly and have 60+ mpg over the lifetime of the car (massive savings)!

As you say, it looks like the important thing was zero road tax and no congestion charge, where applicable and not out and out economy....but the "official" figures in the sales blurb indicate about 5mpg better than the Aygo on the combined cycle, so something is not adding up.I can live with 54mpg on average, but why do the figures indicate a much better figure is normal?

I expect the new 1.33l iQ will be more economical than the 1.0l as it will be less stressed and perform adequately at lower revs, but will be above the 100gm/km magic figure.Sounds like it will be what we are waiting for,( dammit, if only I had known!)...power in reserve and economy if required with all the good points of the existing iQ.(except you have to pay £35 road tax)

As you say, it looks like the important thing was zero road tax and no congestion charge, where applicable and not out and out economy....but the "official" figures in the sales blurb indicate about 5mpg better than the Aygo on the combined cycle, so something is not adding up.I can live with 54mpg on average, but why do the figures indicate a much better figure is normal?

I expect the new 1.33l iQ will be more economical than the 1.0l as it will be less stressed and perform adequately at lower revs, but will be above the 100gm/km magic figure.Sounds like it will be what we are waiting for,( dammit, if only I had known!)...power in reserve and economy if required with all the good points of the existing iQ.(except you have to pay £35 road tax)

Quite agree and as for the hypermiling challenge with two adults and some luggage and getting just over 500 mile to the tank (71.6mpg) even driving were possible at 50-60mph on motorways. Who are they kidding! SALES BLURB.

Quite agree and as for the hypermiling challenge with two adults and some luggage and getting just over 500 mile to the tank (71.6mpg) even driving were possible at 50-60mph on motorways. Who are they kidding! SALES BLURB.

As an after thought I might try and contact the gentlemen in question and hire them to drive me to work and back. They must be exceptional drivers!

Whats the Scanguage? I have not found this yet I am just getting readings from pressing the mode button. Will Scanguage appear once I have emptied the tank and re-filled it?

Sorry for being ignorant about this.

Whats the Scanguage? I have not found this yet I am just getting readings from pressing the mode button. Will Scanguage appear once I have emptied the tank and re-filled it?

Sorry for being ignorant about this.

Don't really use the computer apart from the odometer to guage Mpg usage. I believe it's one of the readings under the mode button operation. However I'm sure one of the others will come back to you with a definitive answer. Incidentally my car is going into the dealership for a full diagnostic check reference my dissapointing MPG results tomorrow. Will update on here with any feedback (if any) once known.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links