Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Real Life Mpg Figures From Owners

aygo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnan

• Billy Aygo

• Goldfish11

• T V O R

Just back from the dealership. Have to say they were very helpful. Anyway they ran the diagnostics check and everything seems to be as it should. I also asked them to check the brakes just in case. Ok there as well. Interestingly though my MPG has risen above 52 according to there checks. They seem to think that the engine is starting to loosen off. This may explain why so many were reporting dissapointing results in the first few weeks of ownership. The service manager seemed confident that it should improve further and asked me to monitor it over the coming weeks and bring it back in if this was not the case. It's such a great car fingers crossed. Any thoughts!

Well obviously no one has any thoughts at the minute. I have noticed however that this thread has had over 1500 views by far the most of any thread on the forums. My conclusion is that in this climate in particular MPG figures matter a great deal to joe public as Toyota are only to aware!

Well obviously no one has any thoughts at the minute. I have noticed however that this thread has had over 1500 views by far the most of any thread on the forums. My conclusion is that in this climate in particular MPG figures matter a great deal to joe public as Toyota are only to aware!

Just running about my local area my mpg is about 56 on Scangauge and trip computer, and the car does seem to becoming more responsive (done 900miles now).

I also am getting used to the engine characteristics and not trying do drive it like my Aygo which would pull a higher gear more easily with its lower rev max torque output.

I expect the economy will continue to improve, but doubt if it will ever reach the mystical Toyota figures!

We have started believing the SHIFT indicators on the the car. I thought it was mad when it told me to shift down at 45mph but when I did I notice the real time fuel performance improves. For the last few days I have been disciplined and done what the car has told me. The mpg has risen from 52mpg to 59mpg.

I think the IQ is far to clever (excuse pun). If you do what it says on the shift gauge the fuel economy seems to improve. Often it seems counter intuitive and against everything you have been told. Perhaps thats why the Toyota boffins get such good mpg they just do as they to by the car.

Its a device you plug in to the OBDII port that gives you additional data from the car's ECU.

http://www.scangauge.com/

johnan has one connected up to his iQ.

Also info here:

http://www.ukobd.co.uk

Johnan,

How have you mounted the scangauge in your IQ is it a nice tidy fit? Any chance of a photo?

I am thinking about fitting one (I love fuel monitoring ;) ) but just want to be sure it will fit in so wifey wont get upset.

Its a device you plug in to the OBDII port that gives you additional data from the car's ECU.

http://www.scangauge.com/

johnan has one connected up to his iQ.

Also info here:

http://www.ukobd.co.uk

Johnan,

How have you mounted the scangauge in your IQ is it a nice tidy fit? Any chance of a photo?

I am thinking about fitting one (I love fuel monitoring ;) ) but just want to be sure it will fit in so wifey wont get upset.

Goldfish,

If the pics. work you can see the Scangauge fits nicely into the flat, redundant area to side of the speedo. pod.

I didn't "build it in", but superglued a piece of offcut plastic I had lying around to the back of it, and then fixed it with one screw through the plastic extra piece, the hole of which can be easily disguised if I remove the gauge ,if I sell the car.

The wiring just disappears down the door jamb and connects to the OBD socket very neatly.

Apart from accurate fuel and distance measurements, I always like to keep an eye on voltage and water temperature and the Scangauge is perfect for that apart from all the other things it can do.

If you look in the Toyota's owners Aygo forum there is at least one informative thread about the Scngauge and its uses, but no use for fitting to an iQ though, obviously!

Hope that is of use, and helps your case with "she who must be obeyed"!

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/johnan1383/001.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/j...n1383/002-1.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/j...n1383/003-3.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/j...n1383/004-3.jpg

Iv'e mentioned elsewhere on hear Im employed by a Lexus/Toyota centre and this fuel consumption issue is a concern to me also. Through experience one can deduct a good 10 mpg from the official figures.. See this link...

http://www.green-car-guide.com/news/offici...al-life-mpg.htm

I too am expecting a good 50-55 mpg and will certainly have words with people if it doesnt happen..

Steve

On my iQ (only 50-odd miles so far) the mpg meter (in avg mode) is showing 60.0. Oddly, though, in instantaneous mode, it never exceeds 60.0. On the Yaris I used to drive it would often show 99.9 when going downhill. That's what I'd expect here too.

My dealer's theory is that it needs a significant mileage before it will show accurate displays. I can see that for the average figure but the instantaneous ought to be right from the get-go. Shouldn't it?

Anyone any thoughts?

Yes, I have mentioned this before, that the instantaneous mpg figure will not read above 60.0mpg.

I asked my dealer to check it and he said their demo car was the same.

This means in effect the displayed average mpg figures will be lower than they actually are.

I have found my inbuilt computer average mpg figure is usually around the 53mpg mark while my Scangauge reports nearer to 60mpg and above, as the Scangauge does compute overrun mpg figures in the hundreds which is more realistic, rather than cutting off at 60.0mpg.

I have found too that although the speedo reads high, as they always do, the trip odometer (on my car anyway) is very accurate according to gps signals.

Just done another refill, and the average is now about 54mpg...I must have been driving very carefully before to get those higher figures!

All the above m.p.g. figures are a little disappointing. I am changing my Rav diesel for a new model this week, and have managed 51 m.p.g. out of the existing one. Because I do such a gigh mileage I needed to buy a small 2nd car, and after testing both the IQ and Aygo, finally decided on a demonstrator 08 Aygo Blue. However, I also test drove the IQ and found this to be a marvellous experience. The car is packed with quality, and a far more superb vehicle than its slightly smaller cousin the Smart. I regret not paying that bit extra that would have secured the IQ, but trust the Aygo will serve its purpose.

If you look at my posting in the "Positive iQ" string, you will see that my iQ is driven around hilly Devon, has done about 950 miles, and over the last 200 miles (ie since the last fill-up) has averaged in excess of 60 miles per gallon. Could be considerably more of course, but I can't tell because of the bizarrely limited average mpg meter.

To be honest, if you can't get a MINIMUM of 50mpg over a tankful of petrol you must be a strange driver - or you spend ages stuck in city traffic and not moving - or you are something to do with Autocar magazine!! (see elsewhere). :)

If you look at my posting in the "Positive iQ" string, you will see that my iQ is driven around hilly Devon, has done about 950 miles, and over the last 200 miles (ie since the last fill-up) has averaged in excess of 60 miles per gallon. Could be considerably more of course, but I can't tell because of the bizarrely limited average mpg meter.

I'm into my third week with the IQ and have made 4 or 5 visits to the petrol station. A trip to Scotland and back this week put me over 1500 miles in total. Most of the drive back from the Durham services was motorway and dual carriageway cruising at 60-70 mph. I too found that the trip computer is providing little useful information, and the journey averaged 60mpg, i.e. something over 60 since it won't go above this figure.

I've therefore given up on the meter and will start working it out manually based on fuel pumped in and miles covered.

I raised some queries with Toyota about the average fuel calculation (specifically how to reset the value), and they have a response which I'll add to this forum.

I'm into my third week with the IQ and have made 4 or 5 visits to the petrol station. A trip to Scotland and back this week put me over 1500 miles in total. Most of the drive back from the Durham services was motorway and dual carriageway cruising at 60-70 mph. I too found that the trip computer is providing little useful information, and the journey averaged 60mpg, i.e. something over 60 since it won't go above this figure.

I've therefore given up on the meter and will start working it out manually based on fuel pumped in and miles covered.

I raised some queries with Toyota about the average fuel calculation (specifically how to reset the value), and they have a response which I'll add to this forum.

Just back from 5 days driving around Northumberland including some stunning roads through the moors.

Had strong winds most of the time which meant fuel calculations would be less than accurate but on the M74 heading south keeping at 70 ish the mpg was about 49 (on the Scangauge, as the inbuilt thing can't be accurate) and in general touring about it was about 55.I am not a hard driver by any means and I would be pushed to get any better than that, keep up with the traffic, and enjoy driving the car!

I tried driving according to the indicator lights but was getting nowhere!

Happy with the car though, comfy felt "posh" and coped with hilly terrain and motorways well.

As far as I know the only way to reset the average mpg, for what it's worth, is to refuel once the gauge shows about half a tank left..at least that is what has caused mine to reset.

I topped up the tank each time, so don't know if just putting in a smaller amount would still cause a reset.

It didn't reset, refuelling when only one "block" had been used up on the gauge.

If there is another way to do a reset, I would be interested to know about it.

Having read all the posts I think rather than the gauges calculating miles per gallon I'll just go for miles per tank and see how far it gets me per fill up and calculate from that I'd expect high 50's or so from what I've seen having done 100 miles in 2 days (normally a weeks milage for me). Here's hoping for 60+!!!

:) Hi guys,

had my IQ2 multidrive a week now and just had to do the first fill up. The average mpg was reading 44.2 on the display - pretty good but nothing like the quoted figures. I do about 16 miles round trip per day through light city traffic.

The fuel guage seems a bit erratic. The dealership said they had 'filled it up' for me, and the guage showed full at first, but the first block dissappeared in about 30 miles. I had done about 160 miles and still had a couple of blocks left, then this morning, as I pulled out to go to work, the final block was flashing. I went to work and back with it still flashing and then decided to pop to the local garage ( 174 on the clock ). On the way to the garage I looked again, and I had 2 blocks again. Then when I pulled up at the pump 1 flashing block again !

Anyway, I put in just under 27 litres, and interestingly the manual says you get the flashing block with 5.9 litres left - pretty close since it is a 32 litre tank.

Sounds like the dealers idea of 'filling it up' was fill it till it shows full on the guage.... methinks

I've reset the trip now , so next fill up I'll do the calculation and see if the computer mpg matches the 'actual' amount to refill it. I'll let you know.

Happy motoring

It's me again replying to my own quote ! As promised I have done a re-fill and calculated the figures. I got to 276.7 miles and re-filled it with 27.8 litres. That works out to 9.95 miles per litre, or 45.2 miles per gallon. The built in computer said 46.4 mpg. The flashing reserve came on at around 265 miles, so again the 5.9 litres left seems pretty accurate, and so I reckon you've got about 55 to 60 miles left once reserve comes on.

This might help en is fun to share with people who drive an Iq as well.

I'm, as soon as i've my Iq, filling out these figures.

Visit My Website

Greetz from the Netherlands,

Peter

I've started manually calculating MPG based on fuel put in the car and distance travelled rather than reporting on the meter in the car. The last load averaged out at 53.6 MPG.

2 refills and I am on 41mpg? :-(, not racing around and travel on my own mostly....

Just joined this forum and really pleased to find thread on 2nd gear but wanted to input regarding fuel consumption figures. I've now done about 2500 miles using the iQ for commuting only (me and my briefcase). I do a 75 mile round trip each day from Trowbridge to Bristol, half on country lanes (hills, bends, and lots of mud and muck!) and half on the M4 (usually 70 - 80mph average). My best on a tankfull is just over 60mpg driving as carefully as I possibly could every inch of the way, my worst is 51mpg ignoring the gear change light and revving it to the red line in second (70mph!) and third (>80mph!!) far too often. My sensible average is 54mpg which I'm very happy with because that's exactly the same as I got with my previous Suzuki Swift 1250cc turbo diesel but petrol is 10% cheaper! :D

Regards to all

Kingswoodjohn (I lurve the iQ especially when parking and doing u-turns!)

My best on a tankfull is just over 60mpg driving as carefully as I possibly could every inch of the way, my worst is 51mpg.

Hi John - could you let us know how you're working out your fuel consumption? Presumably, if you're getting over 60MPG, you are using a manual method or your own meter.

I'm up to 1700 miles, and still (manually calculated) getting low 50s, which I am disappointed with. I'm coming from a diesel Yaris which gave me c. 70MPG, and I was hoping based on the advertising to get over 60MPG in the IQ.

I agree on the manoeuvrability of the car - a real strength, and also love its solidity on the road - it doesn't feel like a small car.

My best on a tankfull is just over 60mpg driving as carefully as I possibly could every inch of the way, my worst is 51mpg.

Hi John - could you let us know how you're working out your fuel consumption? Presumably, if you're getting over 60MPG, you are using a manual method or your own meter.

I'm up to 1700 miles, and still (manually calculated) getting low 50s, which I am disappointed with. I'm coming from a diesel Yaris which gave me c. 70MPG, and I was hoping based on the advertising to get over 60MPG in the IQ.

I agree on the manoeuvrability of the car - a real strength, and also love its solidity on the road - it doesn't feel like a small car.

Hi Purnah.

I always fill up at the same petrol station (which is completely flat and level) and fill up until the pump repeteadly clicks out. Before each refill I check the average fuel consumption gauge and mileage to work out my own figure. My figure is consistently 1 mpg below the average gauge figure; so, for example, on my last tankful I calculated 53.5 and the gauge showed 54.5. Hope this helps :-)

Latest news from the wife's car is an average since new of 54.05mpg. Best tank has been 55.6, worst 52.4 mpg. I agree, her 02 D4D that she traded in gave better mpg, but diesel is much more expensive.

She is happy with the IQ which is all that matters.

Personally I think Toyota needs to go further, more for the money or drop the price of the car. I can't see it taking off in it's present state even taking the financial climate out of the equation. There is too much opposition out there in this price bracket.

I drive an Aygo and can get 60mph on some runs but only driving with real concentration and slowly. Normaly driving is about 45 to 50mpg because the gearbox is so long ( to get those figures ;) ) you have to drop gears to keep up speed. 5th gear that is geared for 145mph when the top speed is 96 .. chasing that 61mpg figure Toyota have made real driving more expenisive in effect. I would guess the same is true of the IQ.

Of course Smart, IQ, Aygo etc are now all dinosaurs to some extent such is the pace of diesel developement. Look at the new VW Polo Bluemotion. It does 70-80mpg, has more power, more torque and more performance to boot. It's also 99g / km. And bigger !

It's a no brainer.

Regards

Andy

try diesel !

see iq-board.de forgerman user values. diesel get 4.6 liters/100km typically (50 m/US gal. or 60m/UK gl..)

HATTIE2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links