Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do You Tighten My Handbrake?

Adrian Mo

hey, i was wondering if anyone knows how to tighten the handbrake on my 2003 corolla

the back of the car is discs but there is a seperate drum for the handbrakes!

hey, i was wondering if anyone knows how to tighten the handbrake on my 2003 corolla

the back of the car is discs but there is a seperate drum for the handbrakes!

The adjuster is on the rear hub, if i remember correctly you adjust via a hole in the disc. Someone will answer this with more detail for sure.

Handy... Mine needs a good tighten! it's been bad since I bought the car!

have a look at my guide, there is a rubber plug, take that out shove a screwdriver in and turn it.

yeah i know the rubber plug ur on about - do you adjust both sides the same?? like so many turns each or do u turn it till you cant turn it anymore lol?

what do you mean take a look at 'my guide"

cheers man :)

have a look at my guide, there is a rubber plug, take that out shove a screwdriver in and turn it.

yeah i know the rubber plug ur on about - do you adjust both sides the same?? like so many turns each or do u turn it till you cant turn it anymore lol?

what do you mean take a look at 'my guide"

cheers man :)

Check out nrgizer's signature, the "change rear brakes" gives it away! :lol: :P ;)

i took the rubber screw out and look in with a torch and turned the disc - what exactly am i looking for cause i cant see anything that can be adjusted, no screws, nothing :s lol

cheers

i took the rubber screw out and look in with a torch and turned the disc - what exactly am i looking for cause i cant see anything that can be adjusted, no screws, nothing :s lol

cheers

oh rite - i read thoroughly and saw the bit about moving the rubber plug to the bottom - but what is the toothed wheel? cant see it in the photo or mayb u can, i just dont know wot it looks like lol :s

i took the disc off completely to see wot i needed to turn - saw the toothed wheels - then it was relatively easy :)

handbrake is tight again :D cheers man ;)

• 3 weeks later...
i took the disc off completely to see wot i needed to turn - saw the toothed wheels - then it was relatively easy :)

Going to look at mine this weekend, should I have the handbrake fully on or off or inbetween or what when tightening?

Going to look at mine this weekend, should I have the handbrake fully on or off or inbetween or what when tightening?

I kept the handbrake off and turned the screw n kept trying to move the hub round! Tightened it untill I cudnt move the hub then just loosened it a tiny bit! Did that 4 both sides an the handbrake go up 2-3nicks :)

I kept the handbrake off and turned the screw n kept trying to move the hub round! Tightened it untill I cudnt move the hub then just loosened it a tiny bit! Did that 4 both sides an the handbrake go up 2-3nicks :)

Cheers, hopefully the weather holds...

I just found in the corolla manual that it says that the hadnbrake has to be "routinely bedded in" and should be done by Mr T.

Has anyone had to replace the handbrake shoes? How long are they good for? Just wondering if I should replace the shoes when I get some new discs and pads?

I just found in the corolla manual that it says that the hadnbrake has to be "routinely bedded in" and should be done by Mr T.

Has anyone had to replace the handbrake shoes? How long are they good for? Just wondering if I should replace the shoes when I get some new discs and pads?

Of course toyota r gonna say that lol, they just love our money!

The brake shoes for any handbrake should never need replaced imo (providing the same shoes aren't the primary source for brakes)! They're not used to wear really, just to stop the car from rolling! If there's anythin on them at all then it's enough :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links