Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Different Power On Rear Brakes

Rvall

Hi all,

I'm having problem with my rear brakes.

I have a 1999 Avensis 2.0 with drums in rear.

The problem is that when braking, the left side only gets 50% of the power compared to the right (Which is fully ok)

When right side brakes lock, the power is finally transfered to the left side and they reach the same level as the right side did a long time ago.

The brakes are adjusted as they should be, a manual spin of the wheel and it stops after 2-3 turns.

The mechanics are nothing wrong with, all cleaned and greased.

The handbrake (by wire) works equally good on both side.

The lefthand side has been bled, so no air.

Ok, the shoes, might be time for changing them but not urgent at all. Still 3 mm left and they are rather even worn down.

And it's not the autoadjuster, it works, I think, but as said, the shoes are perfect matched to the drum and don't need this right now.

Now I've been told a lot of different reasons and need some help with what it might be...

- the brake cylinder on the leftside could be faulty (Very unlikely according to Toyota dealer, almost never happens)

- the Proportion Valve could be faulty or need cleaning (Where is that located? Doesn't it only divid power between front/rear?)

- flexible hose could have soften and expand instead of cylinder (Why does the brake eventually work, the power shouldn't be harder just because the right hand locks, the hose should expand more...)

Any suggestions? Anyone else have had this problems?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

The problem is that when braking, the left side only gets 50% of the power compared to the right (Which is fully ok)

When right side brakes lock, the power is finally transfered to the left side and they reach the same level as the right side did a long time ago.

The brakes are adjusted as they should be, a manual spin of the wheel and it stops after 2-3 turns.

Ok, the shoes, might be time for changing them but not urgent at all. Still 3 mm left and they are rather even worn down.

And it's not the autoadjuster, it works, I think, but as said, the shoes are perfect matched to the drum and don't need this right now.

Now I've been told a lot of different reasons and need some help with what it might be...

- the brake cylinder on the leftside could be faulty (Very unlikely according to Toyota dealer, almost never happens)

- the Proportion Valve could be faulty or need cleaning (Where is that located? Doesn't it only divid power between front/rear?)

- flexible hose could have soften and expand instead of cylinder (Why does the brake eventually work, the power shouldn't be harder just because the right hand locks, the hose should expand more...)

Thanks in advance.

What do the brakes perform like on the handbrake? Do they do the same? If so the problem lies with the brake shoes/drum friction, such as contamination of the brake linings. If the handbrake works evenly (or pretty much so) on both sides, it is a hydraulic problem.

How is the hydraulic circuit split on this model? front/rear or cross corner or triangular?

Some motors have two proportioning valves, 1 for each side. Some have a dual valve , some just a single. Most common place to find it/them is under the car, near the rear axle in the metal brake lines. Pipe(s) from master cylinder go in,

pipe(s) to rear flexes come out.

Sorry the info is general rather than vehicle specific but without seeing it, that's the best I can do.

Hopefully someone else can be more specific.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Just realised, this is the one that had the sticky brake on the left hand rear. Can't help but think the problem is now with the brake shoes being polished or burnt from the sticky brake problem, causing a lower friction value. I think if you fit a new set of rear brake shoes, the problem will be solved. Otherwise, they may bed back in given some time and use.

Hi Q.S.

You are observant. Yes, I had the sticky break on this side.

The shoes might have seen better days after that, I agree. But since the handbrake gives equal preassure on both sides, I don't think it's related to the shoes anymore.

Thanks for you input.

And the squeking sound from the earlier stuck shoe (or what ever it was) is now completely gone after my cleaning and readjusting.

Ok, I might have adjusted the shoes so that the are too far apart from the drum, so they can't touch them, and also making the power less.

Even so, they can only be adjusted 1 or 2 notches on the adjuster wheel and that can't make up for 50% loss of power.

So I'm back at the Proportion Valve...

Anyone has changed this or maybe even cleaned the old one with success?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links