Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Service Costs Shocker!

stannersc

My girlfriend has just taken her 07 reg aygo to a toyota garage this morning for its 2 year full service at a toyota main dealer.

The cost was £190 for the service which she knew about.

But they have just phoned her and told her that the brakes need replacing and that it needs a new tyre.

Im not sure if its disks+ pads and shoes +drums (front and back) they are saying need doing or if its just the front but they ware saying the total costs going to be over £650 including the service and tyre.

Surely it doesnt need new disks or pads having only covered 15k miles. Same for the tyre.

I have a C2 VTS which has covered similar milage and i have loads of wear in my disks + pads left and tyres.

Anyone else had similar experience with their ago at the same milage?

Ive told her to tell them not to do the brakes or the tyre and just do the service so i can look for myself.

I suspect they maybe doing the "shes a woman" lets tell her all this needs doing thing.

Thanks. Chris.

My girlfriend has just taken her 07 reg aygo to a toyota garage this morning for its 2 year full service at a toyota main dealer.

But they have just phoned her and told her that the brakes need replacing and that it needs a new tyre.

Im not sure if its disks+ pads and shoes +drums (front and back) they are saying need doing or if its just the front but they ware saying the total costs going to be over £650 including the service and tyre.

Surely it doesnt need new disks or pads having only covered 15k miles. Same for the tyre.

I have a C2 VTS which has covered similar milage and i have loads of wear in my disks + pads left and tyres.

Ive told her to tell them not to do the brakes or the tyre and just do the service so i can look for myself.

I suspect they maybe doing the "shes a woman" lets tell her all this needs doing thing.

Thanks. Chris.

wat?! £650.00!!!! thats shocking!! id tell 'em to take the damn thing back haha think my 1st tyre from toyota cost me £70.00!!! i can get decent Bridgestone tyres for £45.00! thats bad for a 1st service! mine is due in approx 4months! not looking forward to it haha x

Buy the parts off me (25% off discs and pads-special offer) The :king:

Get a price for fitting them, anthing over 1.5 hours tell them to whistle!

Kingo :thumbsup:

So ive got the job sheet from the garage.

The break down goes as follows:

305.48 Front disks and pads. (265.00 for 2 disks + 40.48 for set of pads)

25.00 for brake fluid

25.00 for clutch fluid

123.74 for two new tyres.

190.00 for service.

£668.48

My initial reaction was WTF.

So far weve knocked off the cost of the disks because they are going to change them for free under warranty (didnt think they covered disk/pads/exhausts etc :confused:)

So just gotta pay 40.48 for the pads.

Ive told her to tell them to go spin trying to charge 25 for brake fluid and 25 for clutch fluid, 50 quid something that probably costs them in reality what, less than 10% of that?.

I thought all fluid e.g oil etc were included in the service cost usually anyway?

And ive looked online and the exact same tyres can be had for 51 quid each from fitted black circles, not looked anywhere else yet.

Chris.

650 is way over the top

i once got a price of 250 quoted for dront discs and pads for my celica, when i looked elsewhere it came to 135.00 all in and fitted

same with tyres, best try the likes of national tyres or a local 1 man band tyre supplier, i wouldnt put cheap tyres on a new car, mine came with them on and ive just had to replace them after 10000 miles

If they're replacing the discs under warranty they're admitting they're defective ( ie. not from wear and tear).

If that's the case then that's why the pads need replacing (as the discs are defective).

Mine's done just close to 30k and no mention of brakes when it was last serviced.

Stand your ground mate !

So ive got the job sheet from the garage.

The break down goes as follows:

305.48 Front disks and pads. (265.00 for 2 disks + 40.48 for set of pads)

25.00 for brake fluid

25.00 for clutch fluid

123.74 for two new tyres.

190.00 for service.

£668.48

My initial reaction was WTF.

So far weve knocked off the cost of the disks because they are going to change them for free under warranty (didnt think they covered disk/pads/exhausts etc :confused:)

So just gotta pay 40.48 for the pads.

Ive told her to tell them to go spin trying to charge 25 for brake fluid and 25 for clutch fluid, 50 quid something that probably costs them in reality what, less than 10% of that?.

I thought all fluid e.g oil etc were included in the service cost usually anyway?

And ive looked online and the exact same tyres can be had for 51 quid each from fitted black circles, not looked anywhere else yet.

Chris.

£650 is way OTT. Have the basic service done if you're wanting the dealer stamp but go to an independant garage for everything else!!

Whereabouts in Yorkshire you from?

Other than the disks being a stupid price.

But I assume the car was booked in for a 'fixed price' 2 year service.

If so, if the clutch and brake fluid are both listed in the Toyota Service Manual they should be included in the price of the service. Otherwise what are you actually paying for when you pay for the service ?

Buy the tyres from Kwik-fit or a local independant tyre shop.

Also put a complaint into Toyota UK, they are selling the Aygo as needing very little money needing to be spent on it in it's first few years of use. I don't remember the exact numbers but I thought it was about £500 over the first 3 years, including the servicing costs.

Are they located next to the Dandy Highwayman Pub?

Disc and pads £75 from EBC and they are better than the Toyota versions.

As said if the discs are under warrenty they HAVE to fit new pads as part of the job.

£25 for fluid? :angry: That just makes me angry.

A brake fluid change is recommended after two years. It is not included in the cost of the 2nd year service.

Clutch fluid change has completely fooled me!

As for brakes they are always an easy way for garages to make money, but likewise they are really easy for any owner to check before leaving the car for service.

If the spare tyre is unused this should be used as one of the new ones. If the old one is still legal use this as the spare, if not get it done yourself.

That is a really over priced, I am sure my second service was around the £190 including all those fluid etc

As for the brakes and brake discs, I just had my third service for 30k miles and had to replace the disc and the pads which I think is quite pants tbh but I did it through kwik fit for 150.00 for discs and pads and I have had new tyres for the second time.

I dont think pads can come under warranty as they are consumables

That's correct.... however if the garage is replacing the discs under warranty, that admits a problem, which will have had an impact on the pads so they should be replaced for free at the same time ;)

That's correct.... however if the garage is replacing the discs under warranty, that admits a problem, which will have had an impact on the pads so they should be replaced for free at the same time ;)

I doubt they would replace the disc under warranty either, surerly they are consumables also and its not the garages fault (apparently) that the pads were not replaced sooner preventing wear on the discs?

If they do am gonna be rather miffed.

There does seem some inconsitancy with whats done under warranty, I am having my clutch replaced under warranty however I know some 107 owners had to pay for theirs.

Prepare to be rather miffed....

I doubt they would replace the disc under warranty either,

So far weve knocked off the cost of the disks because they are going to change them for free under warranty

:P :lol:

Prepare to be rather miffed....

I doubt they would replace the disc under warranty either,

So far weve knocked off the cost of the disks because they are going to change them for free under warranty

:P :lol:

:o :censor: :ffs: :crybaby::bash::death:

not impressed, wonder if Kwik fit would give me a refund :lol:

A brake fluid change is recommended after two years. It is not included in the cost of the 2nd year service.

Clutch fluid change has completely fooled me!

Looking at Toyotas own service information (http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/MaintenanceSchedules/aygo/Final.pdf) page 4 - seems to say that the Brake Fluid should be replaced at 18,000 miles. If that is the case it should be included if you have purchased a full 2-year service.

The Clutch Fluid is much more open to interpretation though.

Thanks. Chris.

£190?? I got charged £270 for my 2 year service! They even charged me for screenwash (even though i'd only topped it up the week before!!) I sure they used the same water to wash the car that they then put in the screenwash, it left my windshield manky as :censor:

They also told me that its recommended for the two year service that the discs and pads are changed but they couldn't do mine cause they couldn't find the locking key for the alloys ( i keep it in a secret location known only as 'the spare wheel well' ) If thats what they charge for the brakes i'm glad they didn't think to look in the boot!!

On the subject of service charges Is the 'Environmental Protection Fee' what they charge for disposing of the fluids they drain from your car? That cost me about a tenner, I also got charged £5 for a Lithium Battery which i don't know what i needed it for! My key fob was working fine.

Thanks. Chris.

Just a quick update on the status so far.

Basically my GF told them what RYX said, "if there admiting the fault with the disks then there should be replacing the pads also"

They said they would have to contact toyota GB and see if she had to pay for the pads or not.

Currently as it stands they are saying she probably wont, and theres a very good chance she will get the disks and pads under warrenty.

They wouldnt budge on the 25 quid for clutch and 25 quid for brake fluid so they arnt doing that.

They price matched black circles for they tyres tho.

So as it currently stands shes going to be paying for the service at 190 and the tyres at 51 each.

Chris

How can a car that is very light and has hardly any bhp be wearing it's tyres out after only 15 000 miles ? This is the 3rd time I have read about this happening. Something funny going on.

I think the pads are crap and wearing out quickly and so damaging the discs between services. Everything just seems so soft.

It's my MMT gearbox and clutch I worry about .. it is nowhere as near as good as the one in my old Yaris.

Regards

Andy

Cluch fluid NO NO NO the Aygo has a cable ( not sure about diesel ) so if its a petrol NO cluch fluid as for the rest seems very deer to me

Just a quick update on the status so far.

Basically my GF told them what RYX said, "if there admiting the fault with the disks then there should be replacing the pads also"

They said they would have to contact toyota GB and see if she had to pay for the pads or not.

Currently as it stands they are saying she probably wont, and theres a very good chance she will get the disks and pads under warrenty.

They wouldnt budge on the 25 quid for clutch and 25 quid for brake fluid so they arnt doing that.

They price matched black circles for they tyres tho.

So as it currently stands shes going to be paying for the service at 190 and the tyres at 51 each.

Chris

Hi

Thats good news then....

Does the £25 for brake fluid include Labour to change it, if it does then for the brakes it's not a bad price at dealer prices, as mentioned above they are charged for disposal of the old fluid as well, that, the cost of new fluid and labour to do it would be about £25...

Well done for standing your ground, the dealers do try it on even if the Toyota ones are far more friendly than most...

Maybe it's a sign of the times, they are desparate for every penny they can get.....

The dealers now say that because of the long service intervals they have to change things that MAY wear out before the next service....

I've just changed two tyre on my wifes Yaris after 11,000 miles, I think modern tyres are nice and grippy but the rubber is very soft and wears out quick, can anyone else remember the Michelin add years ago "lapped the world not once, but twice with tread to spare" (how sad is that that I remember it) well that adds up to nearly 50,000 miles!!!

Pete

Don't forget that by law they are required to hold on to and allow you to examine any parts they replace because they have 'worn out'.

If you are doing low miles, there is also nothing to stop you telling them not to replace things like the discs if they are still legal. If they are charging you to swap all the parts out, what's the difference if it is done now or in 6 months. You might also find a better deal if you can phone around with an exact problem that you want fixed.

I've had my discs and pads changed out under warranty as well; I mentioned they squeeled a lot

and had done so since I bought the car, so they made note of it and phoned me later that day

to tell me they were changing them under warranty, so they would have my car ready for me

next day instead of that afternoon. They didn't even charge me the extra day for the loaner Yaris...

This all happened at little under 20.000mi (30.581km) and as I understood there was a

series of lesser quality brakes used in a time bracket that fitted my car (sept. 2006)...

As for tyres, I changed my first set at 27.843km, but they still had about 3,5mm of thread on them,

I changed them out as I was getting winter tyres and had a second (second hand) set of the same

wheels with summer tyres on them with over 7mm of thread left...

I'm currently running the winter tyres for my second season and I recon they will last another

season or two, adding up to about 35.000km for the winter tyres. My summer tyres will probably

need to be replaced at the end of this summer, they'll have about 35.000km on 'em too by then...

My previous cars did about 40.000km on a set of all-seasons, so I'm quite OK with these numbers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links