Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Learning To Drive In A Iq

5drive

Hello iQ's

Just ordered my iQ2 for the 1st of march.

I'm leaving the AA to start up my own funky eco driving school in my fantastic iQ!

So lots of lucky learners will be able 2 drive this yummy car.

Does any 1 think its a good car 2 learn in?

can't wait!!!

This quote from daveyip post # 22 my iq

"Sorry but I don't. OK for the learner as it's compact, but what about you as the owner?

Driving school cars should be cheap to buy, cheap to run and easy to fix. For all these reasons my dad has run Ford Fiesta diesels for all his 25 years of being a driving instructor - about 8 cars. Despite a few accidents (all someone elses fault) and breakdowns he's never been without his car for more than a week as the garage which can't fix a Fiesta hasn't yet been found.

How will the IQ cope with 30,000 teaching miles per year? What is spare part availability like? What if it gets bumped on week one and you need to wait 12 weeks for parts to come as the car is new? Will the clutch be up to this mileage? How much are service items? Does it have a spare wheel? Does it have dark cloth covering the seats? Is the passenger seat comfortable? What does it drive like over rough potholed surfaces? Is the boot large enough for various bits and pieces you need to carry as an instructor? The fuel tank is also very small - 33 litres less reserve won't get you many lessons. These are questions you should be asking before buying.

Dad knows a few instructors who have had the Yaris, but these are expensive to keep on the road as are the new Mini and Renault Clios."

I will reply once I’ve got the car!

Does anyone else have a oppinion?

Should have got an Aygo ( :lol: ), but otherwise I'm sure you will find the iQ robust.

Those learners are probably going to wear the clutch quickly, so might be worth finding out how expensive that is to replace.

Paul.

Maybe your both right..., but!

I looked and test drove all the normal cars like the Aygo, C1, fiat 500, ford ca and fiesta + many more.

Then I saw the iQ “wow how cool is that” And as I wanted air con and other stuff...,( 9 air bags for example) really it wasn’t that expensive.

As for the clutch, I only teach driving part time maybe 15,000m per year, so shouldn’t be a problem.

I know the iQ is a risk BUT it looks so cool I believe many people will love driving it!

I think the IQ is too small to learn in if that is possible!!

Most people for their first car will have a Fiesta/Clio/Corsa so makes sense for them to learn in one. If you learn in a really small car, you will struggle to adapt to a bigger car? After all, you have to think of your 'customers' needs instead of your own...I just dont think the IQ will give a honest view of what driving is like. Thats all my opinion though! So dont take it to heart...

Good luck though, i hope it all goes well for you :)

Does size matter!?

The iQ is small and my ford focus is big.

Driving skill is one thing and spatial awareness is another.

At least the iQ is as wide as a focus, as for the length well yes its titchy!

In any new car one needs to get use to it.

After only a few months I had to trailer a massive trailer full of rowing boats like the ones in the boat race, that was hardcore.

Yes you’re right it is about me, I so want to drive an iQ.

Maybe very happy instructor = good driving lesson

Well seems like you already made your choice, so it doesnt matter what we think anyway :P

From my point of view i didnt care what i learnt in as long as i learnt haha (hence why i learnt in a micra!!)

I dont think i could buy a car that i loved for someone else to drive it all the time either.

Are you going to get the second set of pedals installed into it for the passenger side?

As I said before, good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Hi,

As an ex AA instructor like you, I wanted something small and eco when I left.

Ive had two Aygo's which were v. good and now a Yaris 1.3 TR which is alot better. I was impressed with the IQ when I borrowed one, and the non driving :huh: wife cryed when she saw one, she liked it that much.

I think you will be fine, there's just enough space for an SE examiner in the back for you check test, the only probs I could see would be the v. small turning circle, for TIR(full lock will about face it on some roads!!) and the over shoulder visability is a bit wanting. Further, anyone over 6ft might not fit in, and there's no height adjustment for the ikle people.

On the plus, its great to drive, more like the Focus than the Aygo, quiet, funky, nice inside with plenty of space, and comfy. I dont think you should expect more than 40-45 mpg out of it though, but running it on BP ult or Shell V power really helps the 1 litre's power and economy.

Hope all this helps, I think you will be fine, I might get an auto myself and teach the wife!!

Ian

Wow a glimmer of hope!

Yes I have ordered an unknown commodity “the iQ” for my new driving school.

Risky? Well the worst that could happen is everything goes wrong and I re sell the iQ at a £1000 loss, (this includes the dual control peddles).

That’s how much I pay the AA for 4 weeks use of their ford focus!

The turn in the road will be great; as they have to use reverse gear it should be easy.

I really like all your thoughts I know I’m trying something different and risky.

I just want to do something different.

Please if you don’t think the iQ will be a good car to learn to drive in- keep posting.

2 more weeks till I start my iQ lessons ;)

Personally I would steer clear.

the "over the shoulder" view is almost non-existent (not a problem for an experienced driver albeit! and the rear window is very small, so seeing out the back of the car is a pain in general.

but yes, the turn circle is incredible, it's almost dodgem-like.

The front windows are so long, when I looked over my right side I could see “the blind spot”.

As for the left hand blind spot maybe not so good, but normally one would pull out to the right

Especially on the test.

When I took of the back head rests of I could see lots behind me.

For example reseving into a road I could see the curve in the back window!!!

So cool as for many cars this is not so.

So many new cars have rupish views when looking back as is with my focus and punto, at worst the iQ is the same.

Last little thing, why if you’re an experienced driver is it NOT important to check your blind spots before moving away?

11 more days and counting till the first iQ driving lesson!!!!

Just been to see my little funky iQ.

Being a 09 plate it has to stay there till Sunday, then it’s all systems go.

All my existing pupils want to give the iQ a go, first lesson in oxford on Wednesday!!

I wonder if this is going to be the first ADI dual control iQ lesson EVER!!!!

So excited, will let you all know how it goes.

Good luck... All I can say is that I think will stand out with the IQ. If I was looking for a driving school and I saw your little car pootling around town I think I would give you call. It's competitive out there I would imagine so anything that makes you distinct and gives you a USP must be good - gotta be more fun than a Corsa!

Nick

Now I have driven my IQ around a while, I just wanted to let you know that the gear stick is quite 'short shift' and i have put it in the wrong gear a couple of times. (Pulling away from standstill at a junction in third will NEVER work :lol: ) So might need to take extra care with your pupils that they get the gears right!

Good luck

Re driving the IQ, I am amazed at how the wife's IQ car will demand 5th gear at a speed of about 35. It is much like driving a diesel, it loves those low revs. On the other hand my 07 Yaris d4d is like driving a petrol, it does not like the low revs! The wifes previous car, an original non turbo Yaris d4d loved the low revs like the IQ does. To have an IQ as a driving school car, I would advise any student that this petrol car does not behave like any other petrol engined car. I am not critising it, I have never driven a car like it, 5th gear at 35 mph and loving it. I'm sure any other petrol engined car would be bouncing all over the road at 35mph in 5th.

YES!!!

A fantastic first day teaching in the iQ.

I could bang on for ages..,, but will try to keep it short.

One bad thing though I’ve got the dreaded NOTCHY 2nd gear thingy, but will be fixed on Friday..,, hopefully.

Everyone loved it “ yummy” being the most used word.

The manoeuvres were a joy.

Loads of people pointing “what the ..., is that!”

I had a big :D on my face all day, having fun whilst learning to drive - fantastic.

Thank you, Toyota!! My ford boring focus is well and truly buried.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links