Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.8 All Built In Japan?

Yaris-Nut

Hi all Yaris owners!

Havent been on here for what seems like a long time. Thought i'd say hi since i'll be part exchanging my beloved P1 1.3 SR for a new 1.8 SR and i should be another proud owner by next week .. yay!

Just one question on my mind though for all those 1.8 owners .... are the SR 1.8's still made in Japan or are they made in France like the rest of them now?

Hi Yaris Nut :)

I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, the 1.8SR is the only one built in Japan. You can tell by the first few digits of the engine number being JTD which translates to being built in Japan. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong lol :$ :D

I've had my 1.8 SR for a few weeks now and am very happy :) (I too used to have the mark I Yaris 1.3 SR) I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

What colour by the way?, and if I drive past you I'll give you a flash n wave lol :D

LOL .. so long as its a flash and wave of a legal kind then that's fine! :lol:

That's great i can't wait to get it and see! I've gone for the Alsace granite (grey), bit boring i know but i've been driving a blue one for nearly 7 years so i thought i'd give another colour a go.

Nice to meet you cbzcbz and i'll say thanks in advance for your flash! :thumbsup:

lol, :D Don't worry, it would be a legal flash haha :D

Nice choice of colour, my MR2s in that colour. I wouldn't say boring mate, looks quite striking :) Mine is Vivid Blue Metallic by the way. My old Yaris SR1.3 was Caspian blue. The Reg of your old SR didnt end OUY did it by any chance?

Enjoy your new SR :toast:

Nope not that one, although i'm sure you'd recognise it if you saw it since there are not many mark1 yaris SR's around now. My one is carribean blue with toyota led rear tail lights and jap rs front grill etc.

Before making my mind up i was thinking of getting the new 1.33 SR with the 6 speed gear box. It was smooth to drive, very quiet and very economical however its just missing too many features that the previous one had. Also i have a thing for smart led rear lights .. they look so cool .. so i had to go for the 1.8. :)

Just hope i havent made the wrong choice since i do a fair bit of mileage now! :unsure:

I'm sure you have made the right choice :) Yes the 1.33SR is more economical with its stop-start technology and low tax, but it doesn't look as good as the 1.8 SR in my opinion. Horses for courses and all that :rolleyes:

Mine is doing 35 mpg around town on standard 95ron (and that was in snow too lol), on a run it'll probably do around 45mpg. I've just filled up with 97ron as it was only 91.9 per litre, so we'll see if its much different with better fuel :)

oh, and I know what you mean about the rear LED lights :)

Nope not that one, although i'm sure you'd recognise it if you saw it since there are not many mark1 yaris SR's around now. My one is carribean blue with toyota led rear tail lights and jap rs front grill etc.

Before making my mind up i was thinking of getting the new 1.33 SR with the 6 speed gear box. It was smooth to drive, very quiet and very economical however its just missing too many features that the previous one had. Also i have a thing for smart led rear lights .. they look so cool .. so i had to go for the 1.8. :)

Just hope i havent made the wrong choice since i do a fair bit of mileage now! :unsure:

As far as I know it is made in Japan, and speaking with my local dealer, so are the other Yaris’s that have VSC fitted in a 3 door (go figure)

I don’t think the new 1.33 is missing too much that you would notice. Normal air con instead of climate, key instead of push button, no spoiler or skirts but I’m sure you could live with that.

I think the Stop/Start and the 6th gear would blow the other issues out of the water. Also £35 (£30 with the new taxing system) road tax instead of £170 (£175) and the 55+mpg, I would like to know what the revs are in 6th at 70mph.

My T-Sport (in 5th) 2000 revs at 40mph and 4000 revs at 80mph

The new Yaris (2009) has new rear lights that have LED’s (brakes I think), and a new radio display, different headlights and tinted rear glass.

I still want a 1.8 though :thumbsup:

TVOR i understand what you're saying because i've been weighing up the pro's and con's for weeks now and i would be saving around £600 - £700 a year based on current petrol prices and road tax with the 1.33.

However the 1.33 is missing a spoiler, chrome exhaust, large (good looking) alloys, lowered sport springs and the integrated tom tom that the pre-facelift SR had, so it looks like a standard yaris! It does have led stop lamps, but they have re-designed the clusters in a way that clearly shows the red, white and amber making it look too fussy and not as attractive imo. Also missing more minor things like the smart multi-sectioned boot thingy and a foot rest!

Good thing is the engine is very quiet and the 6 speed gear box very smooth and alot better than the old notchy gearbox. It feels like a big car when i drove it and with 70mph in 6th you'd be doing around 2000-2500 rpm (from memory) which is extremely good for cruising down the motorway! However although it officially has more hp than the old 1.3 i felt it lacking a bit in gear grunt. Also i found myself working the gears quite alot on a motorway when theres a hill.

But the most important factor of why i did not go for the 1.33 is because it did not have rear disc brakes, VSC and traction control as standard. It is an optional extra of nearly £400 however when i enquired about it Toyota was not sure on what the waiting time would be since they were built to order. Said it would probably be 2-3 months, so they may well come from Japan like you said, but the waiting time was a bit too long and they would have to devaluate my current car even more! :(

However since i got a good saving, i figure i should stop dreaming of the 1.8 and just get one! :thumbsup:

What you save in one year in running costs will pay for the extras and you will still have change! £600 - £700 a year is a massive saving!

Maybe the cosmetic bits that are missing are done to weight reduction to improve miles per gallon? A spoiler won’t provide any down force (but it looks good) but its extra weight. Smaller wheels are lighter. You could upgrade the alloys at the point of order?

All the new Yaris’s are going back to the normal boot as most owners remove the shelf anyway. In my opinion it looks better without the split boot.

VSC is £345 but I’m sure with a bit of a haggle that could be negotiated, and worth the wait. I agree that you SHOULD have VSC/TC, anyone buying a new car without those as standard or as an option need their heads examining.

I’ve got a gut feeling that fuel prices are going to shoot up again and the thought of paying £175 a year for the privilege of driving down pot holes grates me (that’s 5.8 years worth of road tax for a 1.33)

If I had a choice (and the money) I would go for the 1.33 but my heart would go for the 1.8 :thumbsup:

The rear discs look big on the new Yaris...

Toyota-Yaris-FL-12.jpg

Toyota-Yaris-FL-3.jpg

I agree, it's a difficult decision to make between head and heart. This time i've gone for the heart, cos i figure if i dont go for it now a few years down the line i'll be married and my missus will have me drive an MPV!! :crybaby:

Hmm .. where'd you get those piccies from? Everyone i've looked at so far has drums unless Toyota has plans to release another grade with discs as standard.

Btw cbzcbz, where'd you get your 97ron petrol from because i'm paying 87.9 just for the normal stuff at Shell?

Here :thumbsup:

Judging by the alloys it looks like the T-Spirit, the SR has multi spoke rims.

VSC is optional and some of these photos do show rear drums (Yuk!) Only standard on the 1.8SR as you know, that’s why I didn’t understand how the Aygo has rear drums and VSC, yet the iQ has rear discs for the same thing.

The bumpers are slightly bigger on the 09 Yaris and you can clearly see the LED brake light set up.

Has to be a 3 door though but that’s starts a whole new debate! :lol:

I got my 97ron fuel from Savacentre in Oldbury, but I know that Sainsburys in Amblecote are the same price too. I get petrol prices emailed weekly by petrolprices.com. Simply register, and you'll get prices local to you. I've found it very useful for saving the odd pennies :D

I agree with some of TVORs points, but I just loved the look of the 1.8SR, and having had a 1.3SR in the past, I thought the old 1300 lacked grunt , so I'd rather have the extra power as my mileage isn't too high. They are both good cars, but the 1.8 is built in Japan :), and I'm not sure about the 1.33 :$

Either car would be a winner :)

They are both good cars, but the 1.8 is built in Japan :), and I'm not sure about the 1.33 :$

I’m led to believe that the 3 door variant with VSC is built in Japan. Anyone wanting a 3 door with VSC has a long wait which could be up to three months, probably why you don’t see any as people can’t be bothered waiting! That fact alone makes it more desirable :drool:

Is the 5 door made in Japan too then? Mine has the VSC and engine no starts JTD, so I assumed it was made in Japan from what I've read on here :g:

I like that extra piece of mind knowing its made in Japan :)

Is the 5 door made in Japan too then? Mine has the VSC and engine no starts JTD, so I assumed it was made in Japan from what I've read on here :g:

I like that extra piece of mind knowing its made in Japan :)

Yes!

J - Country of origin - Japan

T - Manufacturer – Toyota

D - Passenger car

:thumbsup:

My Toyota dealer called today with some bad news. It appears the car i should be getting this week isn't going to arrive at all unless they can find me one!!

When i paid last tuesday they said there was definately some in stock and i would have it by next week, now they're saying they're all gone! Upon further questioning it sounded like they messed up my order and did not place it!! :ffs: When i paid the deposit i'd expected there to be one less yaris on the market and now this!

I am so angry and disappointed .. :angry: . They're going to call me back on Thursday and if they havent found one then it looks like i wont be getting one. :(

My Toyota dealer called today with some bad news. It appears the car i should be getting this week isn't going to arrive at all unless they can find me one!!

New or used? 3 or 5 door?

Sorry to hear that mate :( Have you considered a used one? I got my 57reg 5 door in Vivid Blue Metallic with only 5k on clock for 8.5k so you'll save a few pennies over new :)

Hope you get it sorted anyway :)

There are plenty new 3dr's out there, I was enquiring about a 5dr version but there are apparently none left. So offered a new 3dr for £9k with met paint. My local dealer can get hold of one, but I would try drivethedeal first.

There are plenty new 3dr's out there, I was enquiring about a 5dr version but there are apparently none left. So offered a new 3dr for £9k with met paint. My local dealer can get hold of one, but I would try drivethedeal first.

Would you mind telling me which dealer and location please? Phone number too if you have it. I take it that price was for a new one?

Many Thanks!

Yup brand new car indeed. It was drivethedeal who offered the price, waste no time in contacting them. I've used them before...I'm sure you're aware of how it works, they take your cc details and refer you to a Toyota dealership who take your deposit and process your order. DTD do not take any money from you!

If it was me I'd go DTD route because although my local dealer matches prices like they did on our 1.3 SR their service at times leaves a lot to be desired.

I have emailed the sales manager of Mr T dealership (he's brilliaint), to check if they can still supply a car and will forward their to you details shortly. Will also try to contact someone on another forum who works for Mr T. Worth a try PM'ing 'Parts King' on here as well.

If anybody wants a price on any new or used car, I dont mind passing it on to the relevent people my end. PLEASE give your exact spec, colour, etc etc and any deal you have been offered, I don't mind doing the donkey work, but need to know all the facts first

Kingo :thumbsup: