Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso Towbar And Electrics

Nogbad

I'm new to the Verso (and this forum) .......so Hi to all!

Had the Verso now for a few weeks and have to say I'm very pleased.

I now need to fit a towbar for my trailer and I'm planning to fit a TY 4304 'flange type towbar from PCT Automotive as I believe they have a ggood protective finish and will fit without having to cut the bumper. I also prefer a 'flange type' bar over Toyota's 'swan neck' design, because I'd like to fit a 'bumper protector plate' to prevent damage when coupling up the trailer.

I'll be doing the work myself and have fitted many towbars for myself, friends and family over the years but I am thinking about buying Toyota's - 'single electrics' wiring kit (part number PZ 457-E8562-00) to make the job of wiring easier.

I presume the kit will come with instructions however, I'd be grateful for any comments or tips from anyone who has used this kit...and whether you think it is worth the expense?

I already have the factory instructions for fitting Toyota's own PZ408-E8552-00 (fixed - swan neck type) but there's no mention of how the wiring kit is fitted.

Any advice , much appreciated,

Cheers

Hi

Welcome to the club, sorry can't help with your question, I did read something on another thread a while ago about the Toyota wiring kit and they said it was very good so hopefully it will be easy...

Good Luck, let us know how you get on...

Pete

Toyota wiring kits are very good, you just plug the kits inline wiht the original looms (already has correct plugs fitted etc).

You wont go wrong with the Toyota kit as opposed to the dodgy cheaper type that come with scotch locks lol.

Mart.

Toyota wiring kits are very good, you just plug the kits inline wiht the original looms (already has correct plugs fitted etc).

You wont go wrong with the Toyota kit as opposed to the dodgy cheaper type that come with scotch locks lol.

Mart.

Hi

Just picked up a Toyota wiring kit from my local dealer. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with instructions and dealer's parts man was less than helpful.......unlike others I've come across (won't print off the fitting instructions for me ).

Panicked a bit at first 'cos the kit's bigger than some motorcycle looms I've seen!

OK, so now that I've calmed down..... think I've figured out where most of the connections go.

Long power feed (with in-line fuse)...... I guess goes up front to the Battery?

Any tips on best way to route the cable, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

PCT towbar fitted really easily, great piece of kit, nice finish and no need to cut the bumper!

Real problem with the Toyota wiring kit though. Had presumed that kit would be dead easy and would just plug in at rear light clusters. However the leads on the kit, that presumably go to the rear lights, do not match the plug or socket on the light cluster. Instead each connection terminates in a white plastic socket..... plus 3 separate wires, each fitted with spade conectors (see left of attached photo). The white socket is a different style to the plug (on the car wiring loom) and which fits into the light cluster (to right of photo).

I didn't get any instructions with the kit and my local dealer won't print off the instructions for me either, so I'm a bit stuck.

I think that it may be a matter of removing three wires from the original lighting plug (on the car loom) ...and replacing them with the three separate wires from the kit (the ones with the spade connectors already fitted). The kit came with a couple of separate plugs that exactly match the white plastic socket already fitted to the kit , so I think the three wires removed from the lighting plug, may then fit into this plug..... which in turn would then be inserted into the white socket on the kit, so creating the conection between loom and towbarkit?.

Trouble is, none of the cable colours on the loom or the kit correspond, so it's not obvious.

Is there anyone who can advise? Am I correct in thinking it connects up as above, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Has anyone out there actually fitted one of these kits or had one fitted to their car? If, so can anyone please tell me what colour on each of the rear light connections (left and right), should connect with the corresponding lead on the kit?

Hope you can help,

Regards,

Dave

post-73354-1235335528_thumb.jpg

Hi,

PCT towbar fitted really easily, great piece of kit, nice finish and no need to cut the bumper!

Real problem with the Toyota wiring kit though. Had presumed that kit would be dead easy and would just plug in at rear light clusters. However the leads on the kit, that presumably go to the rear lights, do not match the plug or socket on the light cluster. Instead each connection terminates in a white plastic socket..... plus 3 separate wires, each fitted with spade conectors (see left of attached photo). The white socket is a different style to the plug (on the car wiring loom) and which fits into the light cluster (to right of photo).

I didn't get any instructions with the kit and my local dealer won't print off the instructions for me either, so I'm a bit stuck.

I think that it may be a matter of removing three wires from the original lighting plug (on the car loom) ...and replacing them with the three separate wires from the kit (the ones with the spade connectors already fitted). The kit came with a couple of separate plugs that exactly match the white plastic socket already fitted to the kit , so I think the three wires removed from the lighting plug, may then fit into this plug..... which in turn would then be inserted into the white socket on the kit, so creating the conection between loom and towbarkit?.

Trouble is, none of the cable colours on the loom or the kit correspond, so it's not obvious.

Is there anyone who can advise? Am I correct in thinking it connects up as above, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Has anyone out there actually fitted one of these kits or had one fitted to their car? If, so can anyone please tell me what colour on each of the rear light connections (left and right), should connect with the corresponding lead on the kit?

Hope you can help,

Regards,

Dave

Hi

Never fitted one to a Verso, but there is a way to work it out if no one comes up with the colours...

Look at this it is the plug on the other end of the wires, this is the REAR view of the plug, as you are looking at the connections, so swap it over if you look at the side where you plug in the caravan.

wiring.gif

So now you can work out which wire on the Toyota loom goes to which socket in the caravan plug, if you can't see the colours in the plug you could use a continuity meter or a bulb and a Battery to make up a simple circuit...

Now you have to work out which colour wire goes to which bulb on the rear light unit, take off the inner piece with the bulbs in it, there are two spring catches to remove it, you should be able to see the tracks on its circuit board and note which bulb they go to, a case of try and see, get someone else to work the lights so you know which bulb is which. Then it's just a case of matching them up, I think I would use extra pieces of wire to connect up and see if the trailer board lights work OK first and then put it together when all checks out.... it's a bit of a pain to do but I did it like this on an old car I had when I couldn't find the wiring diagram. You can't really damage anything with a wrong connection, the lights just work funny.....

I think you are right in the idea, remove the connectors from the Toyota rear light socket, put these in the empty socket you have, then plug that into the towbar socket and plug the three wires in the picture back into the rear light socket. To remove the connectors, have a look at the ones on the wires you have there will be a barb on them which holds them into the plastic socket, you have to use a very small screwdriver to flatten these the right way to get the connector out, don't yank them they will get damaged. Then bend them back again so they will hold in the new plug...

Good Luck, hopefully someone will answer your question directly and save you some time

Pete

:)Hi,

Hope you can help,

Regards,

Dave

You can get a copy of the instructions for the wiring kit from Toyota's AIM Website : http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/default.aspx

I don't think I'm allowed to attach the file as it'd be copyrighted, it's easy enough to get from the above site and after a brief look, I think you're about right in what you're thinking.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

NOGBAD, Do you have a picture of the towbar fitted? i'm looking to get one for my verso, preferably the flange type also. just wondering what it looked like.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi,

Hope you can help,

Regards,

Dave

Dave, you are right about the way it wires up. Usually the fitting instructions booklet is supplied in the box with the loom. YHPM.

Mart.

Hi,

Managed to get a copy of the fitting instructions from my dealers other branch, this morning. Guys there, much more helpful than the local branch.

Finished the job this pm and everything works fine. Method was as I suspected but a breeze once I knew which wires to switch.

Many thanks to everyone for support and advice. Particular thanks to Pete, Mart, Mike and Brian. Great to know there's always someone who can help

Picture of towbar is attached for Mike (you can view fitting instruction on PCT Automotive website ...just google PCT Auto') Got mine mail order from DIY Towbars for £112.

Next job.....Fog lamps! (already got the instructions for these though)

Cheers Guys

Regards

Dave

post-73354-1235592571_thumb.jpg

Picture of towbar is attached for Mike (you can view fitting instruction on PCT Automotive website ...just google PCT Auto') Got mine mail order from DIY Towbars for £112.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the pic Dave, Have been quoted £110 for this towbar so may just get it.

Thanks

Mike.

one problem i've just thought of, the verso we're getting is the sr model with parking sensors, will they be ok with a towbar or go off al the time?

one problem i've just thought of, the verso we're getting is the sr model with parking sensors, will they be ok with a towbar or go off al the time?

Hi Mike,

Yes, you've got a point there, flange type might well be a problem with parking sensors.

Probably why both the Toyota towbars are of the 'swan neck' variety?

When I was first looking at towbars I got written quotes for both the fixed (PZ408-E8552-00) and de-mountable (PZ408- E8553-00) Toyota towbars. It says on each quote that they are 'compatible with Toyota Parking Aid PZ 464-T0420-00'.

Best to check with your dealer though. Incidentally the de-mountable type is not compatible with full size spare tyre (where 17" accessory alloys are fitted).

Cheers,

Dave

Well, I've ordered my towbar now, Have gone for a westfalia 335354 which is a swan neck type with a flange and looks ok. managed to get a good deal at £115 all in after shopping around a bit. it says you need a bumper cut but its not visible and also says its compatible with the sensors so hopefully should be o.k

• 1 year later...

Well, I've ordered my towbar now, Have gone for a westfalia 335354 which is a swan neck type with a flange and looks ok. managed to get a good deal at £115 all in after shopping around a bit. it says you need a bumper cut but its not visible and also says its compatible with the sensors so hopefully should be o.k

mikeverso

can I ask you where you got the towbar for £115 and is it any good, did you need to cut bumper after all