Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help. Oil In Spark Plug Holes

Spockoff

Help. Recently replaced spark plugs and was shocked to discover oil about inch high in 2 of the 4 spark plug holes. The car does not appear to be be buring any oil. Does anyone know what would have caused this? Regards Chris

Help. Recently replaced spark plugs and was shocked to discover oil about inch high in 2 of the 4 spark plug holes. The car does not appear to be be buring any oil. Does anyone know what would have caused this? Regards Chris

I am just guessing here but the rocker cover gasket on my gt4 there is like 2 of them, the big one which is for the outter rim and a small one which fits around the spark plugs. If it is the same on your car then the inner one may just need replacing or you could tighten the rocker cover bolts and see if that helps but it is easy to rectify. Someone with the same car will be able to confirm this but it would seem like thats the problem.

On most cars this is due to the rocker cover chest gaskets (rubber seals pressed into the underside of the rocker cover which seperate the spark plug channel from the heads). The gaskets go brittle over time and allow oil to seep through. A word of warning: Use a small pipe to suck the oil out before removing the spark plugs as i have known two cars (not toyotas) to bend conrods due to their owners allowing the oil to drain through into the combustion chamber. When the cars were started the oil didnt burn off quick enough and as the piston rised up the chamber it was not strong enough to compress the oil that had seeped through, bending two of the conrods and ultimatly leading to engine failure!

If I replace the rocker cover gasket, is this a job I could complete reasonably easily. From the looks of things I need to take a lot of things off the top of the engine just to get to the rocker cover? regards chris.

If I replace the rocker cover gasket, is this a job I could complete reasonably easily. From the looks of things I need to take a lot of things off the top of the engine just to get to the rocker cover? regards chris.

Trust me its easy, havent u got the manual?

Yeah I have the manual. Just that most rocker covers that have come across in the past were a case of undo the bolts and remove breather hoses and job done. This one has the throttle, parts for the induction and ACIS system obscuring all the screws. Thats another thing. Dont you think its strange that the rocker cover is fixed with screws and not bolts. Oh well must be for a reason. Was also worried about all the other gaskets I would be disturbing on the induction and throttle systems too.

post-72589-1235573071_thumb.jpg

ive recently changed my plugs and noticed the two plugs in the middle had some oil on them.

the other two were bone dry.what celica u got mate? mines gen 6 st 202 3sge

That is exactly the same as me. I have got a Gen 5 st182 with the same engine as you 3SGE. Have done some more research and found some information about people changing to fully/semi synthetic oil and this happening. Im not sure I buy into this because the viscosity of the oil should still be the same (providing you follow your viscosity temperature chart). I changed the oil in my car when I brought it before I changed the plugs so the oil could have been in the holes already. I suppose if the oil was too thin then it would leak past the gaskets or if you over filled with oil then this would happen. Some one has said that the gaskets can get brittle over time. Im only going on what i have read in other forums mind.

That is exactly the same as me. I have got a Gen 5 st182 with the same engine as you 3SGE. Have done some more research and found some information about people changing to fully/semi synthetic oil and this happening. Im not sure I buy into this because the viscosity of the oil should still be the same (providing you follow your viscosity temperature chart). I changed the oil in my car when I brought it before I changed the plugs so the oil could have been in the holes already. I suppose if the oil was too thin then it would leak past the gaskets or if you over filled with oil then this would happen. Some one has said that the gaskets can get brittle over time. Im only going on what i have read in other forums mind.

Oil would have to be incredibly thick to not leak out. The viscosity won't make much difference. The hot and cold is more likely to allow a gasket to move and leak. It's only a drop of oil. Soak it up with a cloth. At least the plugs won't go rusty. You see this on loads of engines these days because plugs are often burried between the cams.

defo think guna look in to replacing the rocker gasget weird how we have same engine and leak is in same place.

seems like a common thing almost

• 3 weeks later...

Same here - 1998 GT 3SGE 5W40 fully synthetic. No. 4 plughole fills up to maybe 1/2 inch in 9000m. Tweaked up the front cam cover bolts (all went a bit), but too much to disturb to get at the rear bolts. Just mop it up before removing the plug. Also if it gets too deep it may rot the plug lead rubber.

• 1 year later...

Trust me its easy, havent u got the manual?

please could you help me locate a manual for the st202 3sge 1994 celica coupe 2.0 ltr i am in desperate need of infor on a cam belt change any help would be most appreciate ,,any answer for me please ssend to fixer14@hotmail.com

Hi All,

It's 90% chance its your rocker cover gaskets. Note I said gaskets. There is a gasket that runs around the edge and the 2 outet plug holes.

There is another gasket that is located in the middle (looks like a pair of glasses). This will be your problem. Change both though only £20-25 for gaskets.

It took me 2 hrs to do this job from start to finish. Just make sure you keep all the bolts you take off in order.

Throttle body, exhaust gas mixer pipe (front pipe that sticks out in a bad horse shoe shape), bracket that supports the throttle cable, breather pipes etc. I also if I remember right took out the top cam cover bolt but i cant remember if this was necessary now... Basically you cant go wrong if you take your time....

Hope this little bit of info helps... Oh I step up from the 5-40 oil to 10-40 slightly thicker so wont leak as much... The older the engine the thicker the oil has to be as things start getting worn out...

Big E

Same happened to me on my 4A-GE because I had to run it with no gaskets.

Oil went everywhere. To clear it up just make use of the capillary effect and stuff some rag down there. Pull it out and then remove the plugs, wipe them of oil and you should be fine.

The gaskets will be the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links