Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior Door Panels....grrrr!

Brassik

Anyone else more than a bit perturbed at how easily the interior door panels (the tops specifically) scuff and scratch? I'm forever wiping off white smudge marks and I've already got a scratch on the passenger panel....very very annoying! it does upset me a bit to think that they could have cured this by using a more resilient plastic surface on certain parts of the interior.

Also noticed that when you take off your seatbelt, if you're not careful it whacks against the door panel, which again scratches it! I've already got gouges at the edge of the panel.

Just a minor gripe, but I like my interior to stay clean and blemish free.....with this interior it feels completely unavoidable to damage it. :(

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brassik

• Lofty2k9

• no_data

• dash

That's not very good... Like you say, they seem to have used inappropriate plastics.

I did notice the white smudge marks in the showroom and demo iQ's.

Looks like we're going to have to be very careful with seatbelts etc.

Thanks for the heads-up.

That's not very good... Like you say, they seem to have used inappropriate plastics.

I did notice the white smudge marks in the showroom and demo iQ's.

Looks like we're going to have to be very careful with seatbelts etc.

Thanks for the heads-up.

No worries!

I'm a bit of a clean freak, and I like new things to stay pristine so it's really heartbreaking when a car I've had less than 2 weeks is already showing scratches! shame on you Toyota! :angry:

I’m sure there will be a few more ‘problems’ as time progresses. There always is with any new car. I would always wait at least 12 months for the bugs to be sorted, or even wait for the face lifted version.

ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!

Another day, another scratch on the door panel!!! :(

seriously, this is SO annoying, at this rate it'll be the tattiest interior I've ever owned, I am SERIOUSLY annoyed about how easily succeptible to scratching/scuffing the door panels are.

is there anything I can apply to them to stop it happening? a protective film of some type? I'm at my wits end already!

So I'm left with a 10 day old car that is already tatty inside....NOT happy.

This used to happen in my smart - a solution I found was to use a silicon sponge over the door panel. It built up a layer of protection and helped a lot. Don't buy the fancy silicon pad from well known car shops, buy the shoe-shine one that is a fifth of the price in your supermarket.

In my 5th smart I used it from new, applying it every couple of weeks and that car had no scratches at all on the interior panels. The other thing I've looked at is the thin 3m type film but it is getting it off again that worries me, I have no idea how it would leave the door panel.

This used to happen in my smart - a solution I found was to use a silicon sponge over the door panel. It built up a layer of protection and helped a lot. Don't buy the fancy silicon pad from well known car shops, buy the shoe-shine one that is a fifth of the price in your supermarket.

In my 5th smart I used it from new, applying it every couple of weeks and that car had no scratches at all on the interior panels. The other thing I've looked at is the thin 3m type film but it is getting it off again that worries me, I have no idea how it would leave the door panel.

I tried Googling this silicon sponge item, couldn't find anything....do you have a link that I can see? definitely need to do something as the door panels are too prone to damage. thanks

This type of thing - http://tinyurl.com/bkb79z

The shoe shine pads in supermarkets are cheaper though and work just as well ;)

thanks Red, I'll give that a go tonight! anything to save my door panels. :(

Any scientific or otherwise assessments of wipes or pads in the battle to prevent marking the interior trim, yet?

(I couldn't find things called shoe-shine pads in my Tesco, but plenty of furniture clean/protect wipes)

I dont find the marking a problem but if there is a way to apply a protective finish without changing the current look, I would be interested.

ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!

seriously, this is SO annoying, at this rate it'll be the tattiest interior I've ever owned, I am SERIOUSLY annoyed about how easily succeptible to scratching/scuffing the door panels are.

Can you take some pictures and provide links to them on a hosting site (or upload as attachments) so we can see the problem.

Thanks

ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!

Can you take some pictures and provide links to them on a hosting site (or upload as attachments) so we can see the problem.

Thanks

Will give it a go shortly, don't have the capacity to upload pics at work but I should be able to at home.

Will give it a go shortly, don't have the capacity to upload pics at work but I should be able to at home.

Hi

Any joy with the pics? Would be interested to see what the trim looks like.

Did you manage to disguise the damage at all with silicon wipes?

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Any joy with the pics? Would be interested to see what the trim looks like.

Did you manage to disguise the damage at all with silicon wipes?

Cheers

Dave

No pics yet, sorry!

the scratches look awful though....the floor model at the Toyota garage was literally tattered inside! it really worries me to think how my car will look after a years driving....I feel like I don't dare touch any of the interior plastics tbh, they are magnets for damage.

the wipes did nothing btw :(

I've complained to Toyota.....I bet I won't be the only one!

if only they'd thought to use more resistent plastics in their panelling, I tried in an inconspicuous area on mine yesterday and I was literally able to gouge a scratch into it with a very light rub of my nail....ridiculous

Had another look at an iQ in the showroom over the weekend.

The 'cup' behind the internal door handle is a different, harder material which should resist scratching (thankfully !!).

The door cappings though are another story, doesn't take a lot to leave a light coloured witness mark (the type of mark which you'd normally expect to rub away with a wet finger; but they don't - I tried).

The cappings have a slightly waxy texture; I wonder if a waxy dashboard cleaner would restore the appearance...

Brassik, have you had chance to try any other cleaning products?

• 2 months later...
Had another look at an iQ in the showroom over the weekend.

The 'cup' behind the internal door handle is a different, harder material which should resist scratching (thankfully !!).

The door cappings though are another story, doesn't take a lot to leave a light coloured witness mark (the type of mark which you'd normally expect to rub away with a wet finger; but they don't - I tried).

The cappings have a slightly waxy texture; I wonder if a waxy dashboard cleaner would restore the appearance...

Brassik, have you had chance to try any other cleaning products?

luckily I've got no new scratches as yet, but I've not found anything that will prevent them....I tried that 303 Aerospace stuff, it certainly makes it look pretty, but I tried a scratch test on a hidden patch of the plastic and it cut just as easy....you can literally go deep with a brush of a finger nail.

very frustrating.

me and my partner are super careful inside the car now, which isn't how it should be! definitely don't feel very relaxed driving!

I haven't had this problem although it was a concern before I bought the car having read all about it here.

I don't have nails ( bite them) and don't need to carry keys have not caught the panels with anything.

However I am not particularly careful, my husband always moans when he is in the car that I just let the seat belt go and that I should feed it back gently !

I have had seat belt marks on the door and especially on the back panel, however when I was the car and dry it off I use the slightly damp cloth to wipe over them and they go. am hoping they will continue to do so although do wonder if at some point the scuffs will become proper scratches and then I will not be able to get rid of them !

• 1 month later...
luckily I've got no new scratches as yet, but I've not found anything that will prevent them....I tried that 303 Aerospace stuff, it certainly makes it look pretty, but I tried a scratch test on a hidden patch of the plastic and it cut just as easy....you can literally go deep with a brush of a finger nail.

very frustrating.

me and my partner are super careful inside the car now, which isn't how it should be! definitely don't feel very relaxed driving!

Been advised by a dealer that the best way of removing scuff marks is to use Autoglym Instant Show Shine havent had the need to try it yet as dont have any scuff marks yet. You can get it from Halfords £5.99p worth ago surely?

very frustrating.

Been advised by a dealer that the best way of removing scuff marks is to use Autoglym Instant Show Shine havent had the need to try it yet as dont have any scuff marks yet. You can get it from Halfords £5.99p worth ago surely?

Having read this thread, before I picked up my car, I drove straight back to work & emptied half a tin of silicone onto the interior panels - similar to the Autoglym stuff above - & touch wood, mark free at the moment, two weeks in.

I'm sure it won't protect against hard knocks & nicks, but it works against the glancing blow, & the seat belt buckles!

Stephen

Has anyone tried this stuff? Still waiting on my IQ coming but want to get prepared!

Unfortunately I'm not refering to "scuffs" in my main post.....my main issue is with deep scratches, which happen too easily on the interior of this car.

there really is no way to remove them, you can mask them a tiny bit (I did this with a brown felt tip pen of all things!!) but there's no removing them (sadly)

I've used the 303 protectorant (google for it) and so far no scratches at all. We haven't been especially careful either........

Yep, I've been using that stuff too.

I did a test on a hidden patch of the plastic (in the boot sill) sprayed on the 303...then did a scratch test (with a light rub from a finger nail)

result = scratch.

Gutted!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links