Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning: Oil Maintenance Required

tubaman

My T180 was serviced at 19K miles & when the car got to 19775 miles a warning came on the dashboard `Oil Maintenance Required` which is presumably reminding me that a 20K service is due.

Does anyone know if it can be turned off without a visit to the dealership ?

Have you tried reading it in the manual. My avensis has an oil change light and it tells you in the manual on how to reset it.

My T180 was serviced at 19K miles & when the car got to 19775 miles a warning came on the dashboard `Oil Maintenance Required` which is presumably reminding me that a 20K service is due.

Does anyone know if it can be turned off without a visit to the dealership ?

Not sure which model you have but if it has the combined SATNav/Audio display press the INFO button and select maintenance and reset the date.

Fitter

turn the key to acc/lock with the odometer reading showing, turn the key to on whilst holding down the trip reset button continue holding for about 5 seconds till the light goes off and the odometer reads 000000

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

"Oil Maintenance Required" warning appeared on the dashboard widow that normally displays the fuel computer readings for no apparent reason. The oil was changed less than 5000 miles and only 7 months ago. The maintenance schedule on the satnav screen had been correctly reset at the last oil change.

I tried the procedure detailed in the owners manual page 155 with the ignition key and trip button but this did not clear it. I then disconnected the car Battery for a couple of hours and when I reconnected it the problem had gone.

This highlights an issue that has confused me since I got the car back in 2008. The owners manual page 154 details an "Oil Management System" for diesel cars without multi-function display whereby the car will tell you when an oil change is necessary by lighting up the above "Oil Maintenance Required" warning light or after a maximum of two years or 18000 miles, however the service schedule (and Mr T) says that the oil should be changed at 12 months or 10000 miles maximum. I have gone along with the 12 moth/10000 miles change because much of my driving is towing a caravan with the engine working very hard especially in extremely hot weather on French Autoroutes where much higher towing speeds are allowed. Previously I have owned Peugeots that specify 2 year/20000 mile oil changes and cannot understand why Japanese cars haven`t followed and caught up with the 21st century.

Chris, I change my oil every half year which is just over 4000 miles. The reason is that the oil is breaking down, plus I do a few short journeys which are not good for the engine.

Later engines can be monitored by usage as well as mileage. A car doing lots of short journeys, crawling along in traffic, getting hot and working hard breaks the oil down sooner.

Towing a caravan in hot weather would require an engine in good condition and the oil is a major factor. Especially as it feeds the turbo.

20000 mile oil changes when the engine gets older becomes more risky in my book. Also some owners don't even do regular oil level checks between the changes!

I think Toyota and other makers who use a similar system are sensible to monitor the usage.

Konrad