Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Diesel?

davystokes

I am about to buy a 2007/8 Avensis estate and would like advice on which diesel version. The 2.2 is obviously more powerful, but the 2.0 litre more economical and lower tax in the UK.

Any thoughts?

Davy

I am about to buy a 2007/8 Avensis estate and would like advice on which diesel version. The 2.2 is obviously more powerful, but the 2.0 litre more economical and lower tax in the UK.

Any thoughts?

Davy

Davy hi

for sure it's yr choise basing on your soul and manner of drive.

the diesel is diesel either 2.0 or 2.2

i'd purchased 2.2ltr due to the landscape is mounty here.

wait for another comments on here.

Cheers/Igor

To davystokes,

This one is a bit of a Hornet's Nest, i know of many many people with the 2.2 version who have had no trouble with engine & are very happy with car in most respects. But many many people on this forum have a series issue with the 2.2 in regards to fuel consumption in particular & have been particulary unlucky with mechanical problems ie: Injectors & Head Gaskets for example. Cannot really comment on 2 Litre as it would appear to not have so many complaints if any in regards to engine on this forum. As to car its self, you would be buying a fine well made car.

As "igormus" suggests would be well worth your while waiting for more comments in regards to the merits or complaimts in regard to this particular model.

Regards, Beagh.

But many many people on this forum have a series issue with the 2.2 in regards to fuel consumption in particular

I think that this mainly seems to relate to the T180 though rather than the 150bhp version?

I have the 2.2 TR estate 07 good spec no problems to date 20,000 just over on the clock, loads of power and really not that bad at all

on the fuel side. :D

I previously had a 2003 2.00 and now have a 2008 2.2. the difference in performance is very noticeable the 2.2 is a far more flexible and the lack of power at low revs is much less on the 2.2. Also the engine is much smoother and quieter. fuel consumption wise I have not really seen any difference between the two.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Yesterday I did manage to test drive an Oct 2008 2.0 D-4D Avensis estate. I was pleasantly surprised how fast I could hustle it down country lanes - the surge from the turbo was noticable. However, when I changed from just bowling along to engaging the turbo the fuel consumption rose from 42mpg to 32mpg!

But at 70mph on a motorway it had little acceleration left for lane changes.

I felt that the engine had to be kept between 1700 and 3000 revs and so the 6-speed gearbox had to be worked hard. I have never driven a diesel before so this came as a surprise to me; I had believed that diesels had much more lower speed pull than a petrol engine but under 1700rpm it bogged down - or maybe the turbo doesn't come on till 1700rpm?

Above 3000rpm and it was getting a bit rough.

So Revbands comment that the 2.2 engine is smoother and has more low down pulling power is of interest.

DAvy

My wifes T180 is fitted with a tuning box lifting it to 215bhp which might help you change lanes on the motorway somewhat. The turbo at 1700 is coming on and stays on to red line but after your 3000 that you noticed it has past its peak torque band which is why you notice the power difference.

We had a 150bhp 2.2 TR for 24hr test before i bought her car and it performed extremely well and can be lifted to around 180bhp with a tuning box if required so you can remove it for any warranty work when needed if you require more power.

Main thing on the 2.2 seems to be injector noise which seems to be put right under warranty by replacing the injectors for a modified set, Which worked in our case anyway and still is.