Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Is The Pollen Filter On The Prius?

benw123

Hi guys, as per the title, does anyone know where the pollen filter lives in the Prius? I assume it's in the engine bay somewhere. The reason I ask is that my Prius is in for a service today, and the Service Centre got in touch to ask if I wanted it replaced. Apparently, it's blocked so I want to check this first before paying £34 for a new one.

Hi guys, as per the title, does anyone know where the pollen filter lives in the Prius? I assume it's in the engine bay somewhere. The reason I ask is that my Prius is in for a service today, and the Service Centre got in touch to ask if I wanted it replaced. Apparently, it's blocked so I want to check this first before paying £34 for a new one.

It's in the glove box and it's washable, tell them to read the manual and stop trying to rip you off

It's in the glove box and it's washable, tell them to read the manual and stop trying to rip you off

Nice one - precisely what I wanted to hear!

Interesting.

The handbook for the 2008 Prius says check the filter, and replace if necessary. No mention of it being washable. So I guess that, at some time, Toyota has replaced a washable filter with a cheaper disposable one.

Also, looking at my bill for the last service (20,000 miles, 8 months), the cost of labour was significantly more than the cost of the filter so if the dealer is going to do the work, it probably makes sense to replace. However, given the fact that the filter can be replaced in a very few minutes, the labour charge seems excessive.

Also the handbook describes filter replacement being necessary if the aircon is under strain, or there is excessive misting of the windscreen. Neither of these was the case with mine, so I've probably been taken for a ride this time.

Next time, I'll mark the filter and go back to asking for all replaced parts after the service. Also, I'll check the filter myself, before future services, and replace it if necessary with a new one from another dealer.

I must admit, I don't really trust the local dealer any more, as I was charged for the 20,000 mile service but the basic 10,000 mile column was checked off, not the 20,000 mile one. So either the technician was careless and just ticked the boxes by rote, or the car just wasn't serviced correctly. Neither option is encouraging. Also the oil level was well over the top mark on the dipstick. Anyway, the dealer has now repeated the 20,000 specific items and removed the excess oil, so hopefully all is now OK. So I think a certain amount of checking is in order for the future.

NO It is NOT washable

Do NOT blow out a cabin filter, or wash it out, they are full of tiny particulates that can damage your health, they are also electrostatically charged to trap these tiny particulates, and washing it out destroys that

REPLACE IT!

Kingo :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Part number 87139-47010-83 Retail price £9.99 GENUINE PART/PRICE

EDIT:

Have washed mine for 4 years now, and someone with a vested interested in selling parts cannot really be judged to be impartial.

EDIT:

Have washed mine for 4 years now, and someone with a vested interested in selling parts cannot really be judged to be impartial.

Just because you have washed it out doesnt make it right, some people smoke and live till they are 90..............

But then I have a vested interest in making about £1.80 in selling one :!Removed!:

Here is the Technical info, but I suppose the people writing the report could just have easily said "wash it out and save us the trouble of writing a report"

**** have recently completed a study into the effectiveness of cleaning the

Cabin Air Filter (CAF) by applying high air pressure to the reverse side and attempting to blow debris

and particulates from the filter membrane.

The results of the study show that Technicians are directly exposed to harmful debris/particulates

released from the CAF. In addition, the dust remains suspended in the workshop atmosphere,

thereby creating an indirect risk to colleagues or anyone entering this area. The same situation also

applies to engine air filters.The analysis also shows that the operational efficiency of the CAF is largely unaltered following the attempted cleaning and your customers will not notice any benefit.

........... The correct procedure is to replace these filters should a Technician, through visual inspection, judge that they require cleaning.

But if you want to wash or blow it out............carry on, nuff said!

I'll probably clean the filter outside then. £9.99 is a good price next to Toyota's £34 they wanted - although this may have included fitting - but nothing in those filters could be as bad as all the exhaust fumes I had to breathe in when cycling to and from the service centre this morning and again at lunchtime!

C'ant believe people pay 1000s for a car and ***** about 20 -30 quid for a filter thats there to protect your health,some of these filters are even charcoal sprayed to protect you from inpureities.the one you washed out must be working really well, breath on.

C'ant believe people pay 1000s for a car and ***** about 20 -30 quid for a filter thats there to protect your health,some of these filters are even charcoal sprayed to protect you from inpureities.the one you washed out must be working really well, breath on.

For decades cars have done without them though! I'm 31 years of age and can still remember cars running on leaded 4-star - without catalytic converters of course - which many of us breathed in over the years too. A pollen filter isn't really going to make much difference, clean or not.

For decades cars have done without them though! I'm 31 years of age and can still remember cars running on leaded 4-star - without catalytic converters of course - which many of us breathed in over the years too. A pollen filter isn't really going to make much difference, clean or not.

What utter tosh!

A clean pollen filter can help prevent allergic reactions to air borne particulates.

There is no point in going back to the "Good old days" when cars did not have heaters or radios fitted and the windsreeen wipers were powered from a vacuum tapping off the engine.

Modern cars have particulate filters and they should be renewed when they become dirty................It really is just a small cost to pay for comfort..............If you cannot afford to change your filter regularly then maybe you should not be running such a "technologically advanced" car ;) :lol:

:huh:

Just for the record what do you wash it out with ? I can only imagine that water would reduce it to a pulp and petrol or such solvents would do the same or render you as high as a kite within 30 seconds the heater is switched on.

What utter tosh!

A clean pollen filter can help prevent allergic reactions to air borne particulates.

There is no point in going back to the "Good old days" when cars did not have heaters or radios fitted and the windsreeen wipers were powered from a vacuum tapping off the engine.

Modern cars have particulate filters and they should be renewed when they become dirty................It really is just a small cost to pay for comfort..............If you cannot afford to change your filter regularly then maybe you should not be running such a "technologically advanced" car ;) :lol:

I'm amazed this thread has caused so much friction! The garage reported that the filter was blocked, so I'll check this first and then decide whether or not to replace it. Fortunately I don't suffer from any allergies - probably because, in the "good old days", cars didn't have things like pollen filters - but the word blocked means the filter and housing needs cleaning out. Will check it out and update this thread when this happens.

• 1 year later...

I agree with Parts King and I have no connection with selling spares or Toyota dealers.

I recommend change the filter; as far as I know if you try and wash it or clean it it is no longer suitable for the job.

On the Gen 2 the pollen filter is behind the glove box.

On the Gen 2 the pollen filter is behind the glove box.

What's the best way to get at it, please?

Open the glove compartment, push inward the back side of the glove compartment and pull the whole glove compartment assembly down wards, once done you will see the filter casing and you are good to go in replacing the old filter