Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Price Help Please

Torque

I'm going with my mum tomorrow to look at a '58' plate, registered Sept '08, 5 door, Aygo Platinum, manual, fitted with xtra protection pack and the car has covered 4k miles. Can anyone give me a price for this so as I know what I have to haggle with, if it comes to it.

Can’t give you a figure from Glass’s Guide as it’s too new.

New on the road price was £8,385.00, and with air con £8,875.00. Protection pack was worth £380. So that is £9255 on the road with air con. I would offer around 10% to 15% off the new price the average being £8000 cash (with air con)

:thumbsup:

New on the road price was £8,385.00, and with air con £8,875.00. Protection pack was worth £380. So that is £9255 on the road with air con. I would offer around 10% to 15% off the new price the average being £8000 cash (with air con)

I would be offering a lot less than that for a second hand car!

My new (ordered from factory) Aygo sport cost me £7050 in 2008. That was almost 10% less than the list price then.

Or, did I read your message wrong first time? Did you mean £8000 less 10 - 15% which would be £6800 - £7200?

Still seems a lot for a 2nd hand car!

For the Platinum Aygo with air con and protection pack would have cost £9255 on the road last September.

It will have two and a half years Toyota warranty remaining and still be taxed for 6 months.

I thought a fair price would be around the 8k mark.

For the Platinum Aygo with air con and protection pack would have cost £9255 on the road last September.

It will have two and a half years Toyota warranty remaining and still be taxed for 6 months.

I thought a fair price would be around the 8k mark.

Since haggling hard could net a 10% saving in this climate, I would want to spend a lot less on a 2nd hand car.

Dealers take the p with second hand Aygos - obviously cashing in on those downsizing. One of our local dealers was trying to sell 2 year old models for just £500 less than a new one.

OP drop your spec and you could pick up a brand new Aygo for much less than a second hand platinum, unless the platinum has something you really need.

Classic example, and if someone could explain I would be grateful, how does a second hand Yaris (1.33 SR) on a 58 plate with a 1,000 and 3,000 miles on the clock cost more than a brand new one?

The second hand one doesn’t have metallic paint yet a new 09 plate with metallic will be cheaper if you went to Mr T now and ordered one today!!

:blink:

Thanks for your replies folks and sorry for not having got back sooner, I was so angry last night that I didn't wish to post for fear of saying something that I might later regret.

They offered £1200 below Glass' for my mums :o I did end up getting them up by £500 but they were still £700 short. The Aygo, which they wanted £7700 for by the way, did not have xtra protection pack fitted, as advertised, now I would have pursued this under trade description laws if my mum had wanted to proceed but she didn't, it was also in awful condition there were marks galore on the front and back bumpers, marks on the roof, marks around the petrol cap flap. Some of these marks would have polished out but some certainly wouldn't and some would have necessitated a spray, there were marks galore inside on the headlining, seats, sills etc, to be blunt there was a fault on almost every panel both inside and out.

I thought the car industry as a whole was having a hard time, it's nearly March and I would've thought that dealers would be happy to shift stock to make way for trade in cars where people were picking up '09 plated models. If yesterday's experience was anything to go by I am not surprised that car workers are being made redundant or laid off all over the place.

On a good note we had a look at the IQ and I was blown away with it, my other half and my mum thought it was ok. However, if my mum decides to go for one she certainly won't be getting it from the dealership that we visited yesterday!

What is your mum trading in? You didn’t mention it in your initial post.

The Aygo sounds too used and abused which is a shame may have been a hire car. For only 6 months old and only 4k on the cloak it makes me wonder what the history is/was. Glad you walked away from it, there are plenty more out there.

6 months old - probably an ex courtesy car.

The first Aygo we looked at was an ex Toyota HQ car. It was high mileage - 23,000 in just over a year. For some reason the selling dealer didn't seem to think this should affect value! A quick look round revealed two new tyres required for the front, one rear tyre low, one rear tyre OK, didn't check the spare. A quick visual inspection also revealed the front pads were low and the disks were low and had a grove.

They had a technician look at it and we were told they were OK for three months so nothing would be changed.

Needless to say at just £500 less than a new car we walked.

A lot of dealers seem to take the proverbial 'ssıd'

:angry:

Our recent experience confirms this.

I've had my AYGO for 2 years now.

My wife decided to swap her mint civic in for one.

The difference between trade in price and AYGO condition was unbelievable.

Tatty, scratched, unloved cars going for top book price with a crap trade in price etc.

It took a couple of weeks but we eventually bought a 2700 mile, 8 month old ex-demo

in perfect unmarked condition for the right money.

Get your money sorted and in place, when the right car comes along (and it WILL) do the deal.

SHOP AROUND! 2 weeks spent now finding the right car save months of "I wish I'd waited".

Car dealers are over a barrel at the moment however, AYGO, C1 & 107 are all in demand.

Buy a "proper" car, NOT a compromise "A couple of scratches don't really matter" car.

The same dealer will than make a huge issue of how much it will cost to sort out when you trade it back in.

Ian.

There are dealers, and there are dealers. TBH, any garage, let alone a Toyota or any other franchise dealer dont deserve to sell cars if they are presented shabbily, with dents and scratches and at full up money. As everyone keeps saying, the car industry is having a hard time, but cars still have a value, especially Aygo/Yaris and smaller cars in general. These cars are the bread and butter for the motor trade and you are not going to find them with massive discounts, there is an assumption that because you want to buy a used car, then the dealer has to do some sort of give away deal, just because times are hard. The answer is, as it always has been, SHOP AROUND, if a dealer has a shabby car on his forecourt and wants top dollar for it, go somewhere else, he doesnt deserve your money and you shouldnt be winding yourself up about how much he was or wasnt prepared to give you, be realistic, if a car is presented in top condition, full warranty etc etc, and your P/EX is in excellent condition, then there is no good reason why you cant come to an amicable deal, you get a good P/EX price and you get some movement on the buying price of the new car.

The motor trade has not been in such a bad state for many years, but for those who actually do care about their customers, deals are still being done, go and deal with one who wants your business

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm trading in my AYGO Black - 27k miles (registered July 2006) with protection pack, mud flaps and Air for a facelifted Black with the same spec. to be collected next Monday.

All I'm paying is £3800.

As you say, there are some good dealers and some not so good.

Thanks again folks for your imput.

TVOR my mum is trading in a May '07 Fiat Punto 1.2 Active 3dr with 2900 miles on the clock. The guys at this Toyota dealers said that if a car comes in which is under average mileage it's just a bonus to them but if one comes in which is over they start deducting money from the offer because of that. Seems that according to them they win either way - just can't get my head around it.

There are good dealers out there of that I am sure, I have personally come across quite a few but there are also too many who operate on a stitch up the customer at every opportunity basis only.

I've just got a trade in price of £4k, subject to dealer seeing the car, against a '58 plate Subaru Justy. I have no doubt that they will be happy with what they see but I just need to convince my mum to drive the 30 or so miles to go and look at it and that's where this deal may fall down, I may have to get my other half to drive the Punto over there for her :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links