Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toc Back To How It Once Was?

Calisto

IMO we need to get TOC back to the club it once was....I feel the forum had lost its spark in some areas.

The Rav forum is how we need the whole forum to be....lively, fun, full of banter.

We need to have a sense of community once more...then mebbe more peeps would come to the local meets and shows.

We have lots of Mods but no specific meet co-ordinators, the mods we did have are still on the forum as mods, I just think TOC needs a spring clean to get it upto date. I know this takes time, effort and mebbe a little money.

Can we have something along the lines of Gold again...separate chat place for those members that have paid, not just a chat room, but a place where "anything goes" without mods getting up in arms all the time.

I will pay to support my club....many people would be willing to do this I think. B)

Any one got any ideas?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothwell_buyer

• Pompey Gaz

• Bizarra

• Calisto

Never happen!

Blah Blah, stay on topic, Blah Blah threads locked/deleted/over moderated. The best lively/fun/full of banter is when topics start to go off on a tangent and then the humour wit and imagination starts to show. Eventually the post tends to go full circle and end back to where it was. Unfortunately we get too much 'Blah Blah Stay on topic' which kills conversation.

You never chat to friends in the pub and spout out ‘Stay on topic otherwise I will walk off and not speak to you’ do you?!

Here is a perfect example of an innocent genuine thread that goes completely off topic but is entertaining/funny and imaginative, but some people would like to get the rule book out...

Here

People will eventually decide to go elsewhere. Just my observation (for what its worth) :thumbsup:

Clubs change and move on, thinking of 'how good it was back in the day' wont change how it is now. I still think the banter is still there, just a lot of new faces and old skool people have moved on for all sorts of reasons. It's like when a group of friends used to hang out every night in the past, you would never get it back.

Regarding meets, not many people seem to be that bothered about traveling or showing their cars. The attendees list for JAE is a prime example, the biggest Jap car show of the year and we can only get 8 names.

Personally I think the club is alive and strong.

To be fair, its a lot better then it was a year or so ago...

I seem to be on here more than I was with my last few months of toyota ownership!

if i had a toyota i would be more proud of showing it off.

I only just got my laptop back properly working this past week and since then i've been on here every day lol.

there is alot of threads i feel i can't post in because i don't have a toyota but if i can help i try to. I enjoy it here, I've made som great friends, Mo, Moff, Dale, SJ, Jappy, Em, Steve, less & Anne, Dawsey, Asha etc and am proud to be a part of this club. I've just changed jobs so now am home i'll be able to come to more meets when i have time.

Like I said I enjoy it here, i enjoy the meets, i enjoy the users and my friends.

And this is the only forum I'm on I haven't been banned from LOL

Good for you Gaz.... you don't need to have a Toyota to have friends on here :thumbsup:

EDIT....

We need more arguments! That always livens things up :lol:

Do we :eek:

Why do you say that :unsure: Who the heck do you think you are suggesting there should be more arguements :angry: Flippin' cheek saying that :ffs:

Cor it makes me so angry when someone wants an arguement :censor: :boxing::bash:

So then do you wanna make something of it ;) :lol:

exactly, i've had 66% not toyota car histroy but still enjoy it here, i was on about the model specific part of the forum, lol.

If anyone wants to donate me a toyota though I wouldn't say no :P

We need more arguments! That always livens things up :lol:

I agree, I do enjoy a good heated debate when the other person knows how to express their views properly. Anything annoying you recently TVOR? :P

So.....To make Toc a successful forum every topic has to drift, we have to argue and there should be no moderation.

Sorry, not while I'm around ;)

Black Death, Rickets, Malnutrition, BW Tele, no Sunday shopping Oh those where the days....... :)

So.....To make Toc a successful forum every topic has to drift, we have to argue and there should be no moderation.

You know full well that is not how I want TOC to be.

imo.....we need new forums, it's a shame the photography forum didn't get off the ground...a few peeps were interested.

4 years ago when I first joined this club....TOC was a hive of activity now it seems it just seems to be plodding along.

Well said!

I like things how they are now, I think it's a good forum just that I seem to be on facebook too much instead of coming on here! :lol:

Anything annoying you recently TVOR? :P

I have my moments :D

Not every topic has to drift, but now and again it has to and will do, my point is just let some things flow with the tide.

We don’t always have to argue but if a couple of people get into a spat or ‘Mutual Combat’ as I like to call it, let them sort it out there and then. Job done! Chances are they kiss and make up afterwards anyway!

Obviously there has to be moderation to stop the undesirables and maintain some decorum, but some things have to have a chance to go through a full cycle :thumbsup:

Having a Gold level subscription members only 'anything goes' area gets my vote :thumbsup:

There's been talk of Gold coming back for a while which is why i never took out a subscription... knowing my luck if i did Gold would be back straight after! :lol:

As for only 8 down for JAE i don't understand that... we've got 16 going to Santa Pod for one day in the Corolla forum!! :huh:

As for only 8 down for JAE i don't understand that... we've got 16 going to Santa Pod for one day in the Corolla forum!! :huh:

That's part of the answer Gaz :yes:

As with the "Rav" forum or the "Aygo" forum, a lot of folk don't realise this is the "Toyota Owners Club" an don't venture from their "Forums" ;)

I was saying to Lauren yesterday that I didnt recognise half the posters in the other sections. They should post in the generals section more!!!

I was saying to Lauren yesterday that I didnt recognise half the posters in the other sections. They should post in the generals section more!!!

Or join us at JAE ;)

The place has changed and has new people and a new way of thinking.... I know - lets blame the moderators! :rolleyes:

No, it's called evolution:

ev⋅o⋅lu⋅tion

   /ˌɛvəˈluʃən or, especially Brit., ˌivə-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ev-uh-loo-shuhn or, especially Brit., ee-vuh-] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.

2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.

3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

4. a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.

5. a motion incomplete in itself, but combining with coordinated motions to produce a single action, as in a machine.

6. a pattern formed by or as if by a series of movements: the evolutions of a figure skater.

7. an evolving or giving off of gas, heat, etc.

8. Mathematics. the extraction of a root from a quantity. Compare involution (def. 8).

9. a movement or one of a series of movements of troops, ships, etc., as for disposition in order of battle or in line on parade.

10. any similar movement, esp. in close order drill.

Things evolve, it's a natural part of the process of life. People move, people join, people change, priorities change... it's just a fact of life. The fact is that the "new breed" of members choose to behave in a more segregated way, this has, IMO been pushed on them with the segregation of the forums, something I was always personally against and am glad it's back to the way it was but the damage has already been done.

It'll never be the way it was and to be honest if that's what people want, well they'll be waiting a long time. Change happens, people need to deal with it and embrace it and if they want to make it different, put ideas forward to make it so.

People are quick to blame others for the failings, but it's everyone's fault really. It's easy to blame moderators but we're not the power behind this forum, it's the members that are. We're just easy scapegoats....

As for JAE, it was unfortunate that the organisers didn't have a date & venue set earlier. A lot of people who used to go to JAE with us have moved on so the newer people, who are segregated from General, probably don't know about it. A bit of advertising and publicity will help and maybe get more on board, but all these little cliques have formed and cliques don't tend to mix....

Some things are hard to change and social structures within communities are one of them....

Having a Gold level subscription members only 'anything goes' area gets my vote :thumbsup:

There's been talk of Gold coming back for a while which is why i never took out a subscription... knowing my luck if i did Gold would be back straight after! :lol:

I've posted a few times asking about the return of Gold, & never got any info, or a meaningful answer.

I have kept my Gold status for exactly the same reason as you, even though I would like to support the club financially.

Never heard a reason for it's departure & no info on its return.

The place has changed and has new people and a new way of thinking.... I know - lets blame the moderators! :rolleyes:

No, it's called evolution:

ev⋅o⋅lu⋅tion

   /ˌɛvəˈluʃən or, especially Brit., ˌivə-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ev-uh-loo-shuhn or, especially Brit., ee-vuh-] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.

2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.

3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

4. a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.

5. a motion incomplete in itself, but combining with coordinated motions to produce a single action, as in a machine.

6. a pattern formed by or as if by a series of movements: the evolutions of a figure skater.

7. an evolving or giving off of gas, heat, etc.

8. Mathematics. the extraction of a root from a quantity. Compare involution (def. 8).

9. a movement or one of a series of movements of troops, ships, etc., as for disposition in order of battle or in line on parade.

10. any similar movement, esp. in close order drill.

Things evolve, it's a natural part of the process of life. People move, people join, people change, priorities change... it's just a fact of life. The fact is that the "new breed" of members choose to behave in a more segregated way, this has, IMO been pushed on them with the segregation of the forums, something I was always personally against and am glad it's back to the way it was but the damage has already been done.

It'll never be the way it was and to be honest if that's what people want, well they'll be waiting a long time. Change happens, people need to deal with it and embrace it and if they want to make it different, put ideas forward to make it so.

People are quick to blame others for the failings, but it's everyone's fault really. It's easy to blame moderators but we're not the power behind this forum, it's the members that are. We're just easy scapegoats....

As for JAE, it was unfortunate that the organisers didn't have a date & venue set earlier. A lot of people who used to go to JAE with us have moved on so the newer people, who are segregated from General, probably don't know about it. A bit of advertising and publicity will help and maybe get more on board, but all these little cliques have formed and cliques don't tend to mix....

Some things are hard to change and social structures within communities are one of them....

Ah BUT, Em, there is also devolution :D . Chickens are the descendants of Dinosaurs. Just one example that comes to mind, without research :bookworm:

I'm sorry...who are you? Welcome

Another post which went "Off topic" was" finding people." We got a very nice :thumbsup: reminder from Em to bring it back on topic.

The following was my apology & reply :rolleyes:

Sorry, Em ,

I know we went off topic here & in other threads, too. It is just so easy though

I suggested that a helpful mate in the Force might accommodate him. Then came the post explaining how a Police man got into serious trouble for doing that . I gave my example of how a Mate in the force helped me. Then, naturally, after what I'd posted, the banter started.

I am not an Arms dealer & am anti IRA +Associates, though I have 2 friends who have done time for membership.If I keep away from Politics, they are highly intelligent, articulate men, one of whom does walks all over the world for A Children's hospital Charity. I don't understand it.

I may have surrendered my A.r.s.enal , but I still have a sheath knife in a drawer about which I feel guilty. Guilty, because I had a very good one which I lost. I promptly wrote a letter to my Gran, telling her the story, By return post came the replacement which I still have. Those were the days when a kid could have one for throwing at trees, whittling sticks etc, & never dreamed of sticking it in someone. I feel guilty coz I knew what the outcome of my letter would be

It is like , for example , friends sitting in the pub. They chat about something, & then someone says something & the conversation goes off at a tangent, and again, and again.

I have deliberately gone off topic here to give an example of how one thing leads to another.

I promise I will try (not easy!) to stay in topic as much as I can in future

Another post which went "Off topic" was" finding people." We got a very nice :thumbsup: reminder from Em to bring it back on topic.

The following was my apology & reply :rolleyes:

Sorry, Em ,

I know we went off topic here & in other threads, too. It is just so easy though

I suggested that a helpful mate in the Force might accommodate him. Then came the post explaining how a Police man got into serious trouble for doing that . I gave my example of how a Mate in the force helped me. Then, naturally, after what I'd posted, the banter started.

I am not an Arms dealer & am anti IRA +Associates, though I have 2 friends who have done time for membership.If I keep away from Politics, they are highly intelligent, articulate men, one of whom does walks all over the world for A Children's hospital Charity. I don't understand it.

I may have surrendered my A.r.s.enal , but I still have a sheath knife in a drawer about which I feel guilty. Guilty, because I had a very good one which I lost. I promptly wrote a letter to my Gran, telling her the story, By return post came the replacement which I still have. Those were the days when a kid could have one for throwing at trees, whittling sticks etc, & never dreamed of sticking it in someone. I feel guilty coz I knew what the outcome of my letter would be

It is like , for example , friends sitting in the pub. They chat about something, & then someone says something & the conversation goes off at a tangent, and again, and again.

I have deliberately gone off topic here to give an example of how one thing leads to another.

I promise I will try (not easy!) to stay in topic as much as I can in future

I'm confused. why have you got a big knife? who said you was in the IRA? :\

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links