Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1996 Sprinter Carib - Compass Setup?

Whomper

Evening all,

Recently moved out to NZ from the UK and acquired an imported Japanese 1996 Toyota Sprinter Carib Z-Touring 4WD (1.8 engine, auto). It's basically a Corolla in a push-up bra, and goes pretty nicely. Unfortunately, I have no manual, and even if I did, it would be in Japanese.

One thing that is stumping me is the dashboard compass - this is an LCD affair, labelled "Field Monitor", which gives you the temperature, a compass, and a pretty poor guess at the what the weather is doing.

The compass is about 60 degrees out, and I can't work out how to calibrate it. Next to the Field Monitor is a button saying "Compass Adjust" - if you press this once, the display starts to flash, press it again and it stops flashing. It doesn't seem to behave any differently while flashing (still changes as the car turns), and I can't see that any of the other buttons or dials in the car affect it at all.

Does anyone know how to set this compass, or failing that, how the compasses are set up in Toyotas of the same era?

Cheers,

Alex

(ex of York)

Or this one.

On level ground, face the car North, adjust the compass to point North using the adjusting knob marked "N". Then face the car East, adjust the compass to point East using the knob marked "E". Repeat this until compass is faily accurate. They recommend doing this every couple of weeks!

Gave this one a go, but it didn't seem to work - I'll give it another shot, clockwise as well as anti-clockwise.

I have no separate N/E/S/W buttons, just the single compass adjust.

Cheers for the suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on.

• 13 years later...

I have a similar car. Z touring 1.6. The compass works but its lights are very deem. You can't even read the compass at night. The radio doesn't work altogether. Checked fuses they are OK. It all started after giving it a thorough washing. Someone kindly assist. I need the radio back

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links