Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wont Start

mvs

Hi, just been searching the net and found the forum, hope someone can help me out with this before it goes to the dredded dealers.

its a rav4 1996 petrol 2.0

Car was running fine but engine management light was on,

checked for fault coded (bridged terminals type) 1996 car.

got the code fine then followed instructions to clear codes.

removed efi fuse for a minute then replaced. then turned ignition back on and put pins in again to see if fault code had erased.

was not getting any flashes from the light atall.

i turned ignition off to check the bridge was in place properly, as i did this the light flickered dimly a couple of times.

turned ignition on again and put bridge across terminals a 2nd time still nothing.

turned igniition off removed bridge, then ignition on no engine management light atall

now the car wont start.

ive checked the efi fuse again its not blown,

im now lost and dont know what to do.

any help appreciated

thanks

Welcome to the club.

Is this one with two buttons on the remote?

If so hold both buttons until the car locks itself then unlock it and try again.

I think the remote might be out of sync.

Welcome to the club.

Is this one with two buttons on the remote?

If so hold both buttons until the car locks itself then unlock it and try again.

I think the remote might be out of sync.

Hi thanks for the reply

Yes it does have two buttons on the remote,

ill give that a try tomorrow, so i take it the early ones have immoboliser aswell fingers crossed.

im sure (well hope) its something and nothing

I've pm'd you. Charge the Battery and check the alarm fob is syncd as described above.

If yer au-fait wi car wiring I can take you thru the alarm system

If not, then its easier to get an auto electricain to check it. The dealer won't have a clue.

thanks for the info and pm ill write back in a minute.

heres how far we've got.

The car has an alarm/immobilizer which baically breaks into the starter motor wiring. ive removed this now but it wasnt the problem.

I can get the car to run for approx 5 seconds very rarely its a bit hit and miss, the car has a chipped key with a reader around the ignition barrel.

im now considering if this would work -

buy a 2nd hand ecu

lock set & keys

reader that goes around the ignition barrel.

does anyone know if this would work or would it still have to go to toyota.

thanks

thanks for the info and pm ill write back in a minute.

heres how far we've got.

The car has an alarm/immobilizer which baically breaks into the starter motor wiring. ive removed this now but it wasnt the problem.

I can get the car to run for approx 5 seconds very rarely its a bit hit and miss, the car has a chipped key with a reader around the ignition barrel.

im now considering if this would work -

buy a 2nd hand ecu

lock set & keys

reader that goes around the ignition barrel.

does anyone know if this would work or would it still have to go to toyota.

thanks

interesting - I hadn't heard of a chipped key setup on such an early rav....unless its an import. The immobilisers I've seen also break the ignition circuit as well as the starter circuit.

Have you checked if theres a spark at the plugs?

The way forward would be to run with the keys you have and get the wiring right to start and run the car.

Then fit a more recent aftermarket immobiliser system rather than try to use an old system....they were not that reliable.

From what you say, maybe the ignition (or less likely fuel) is interupted by the ignition lock/reader. It should be fairly easy to trace the cables - as far as I know these systems were fitted by Toyota when the cars came to the UK.

I'd tend to stay away from a dealer as they will charge far more than an auto-electrician. Its simple enough wiring - its just the time to work out where the wires go and which are the interrupted wires.

I'm sorry I'm not nearer otherwise I could have come along to compare the wiring systems.

I'm not sure if this would help but have you tried looking at the ground wire from the negative terminal on the Battery? Once I had a car that wouldn't start in temperatures below freezing. It turned out my ground wire was bad. I would use jumper cables to connect the negative terminal to a piece of clean metal on the engine. It started right up. Got rid of that car and got the Rav.

Dealers arent that bad if you find a good'un. As for your fault, can you remember what the fault code was? Your car should have the chip in key, as you say. If its an immobiliser fault, have you tried one of your other keys? Sometimes the system looses memory of certain keys and wont let you start car because it dont recognise key being used?

Is the car attempting to start? Also, is the remote a genuine toyota one? If it is then this has nothing to do with starting car, its only for door locking.

Thanks for all the replies, and advice.

have now managed to fix it,

It was nothing to do with the chipped key being faulty or immobilizer in any way.

The ecu earth wires were changing to live somehow, So when i put an earth to the ecu everything was fine. car ran if i take my earth away it cuts out and sometimes starts sometimes wont.

Must have a poor earth somewhere but i cant find where.

so for now a seperate earth wire spliced in is doing the job. Hope this helps if anyone else comes accross this problem.

cheers

It was nothing to do with the chipped key being faulty or immobilizer in any way.

The ecu earth wires were changing to live somehow, So when i put an earth to the ecu everything was fine. car ran if i take my earth away it cuts out and sometimes starts sometimes wont.

so for now a seperate earth wire spliced in is doing the job. Hope this helps if anyone else comes accross this problem.

cheers

Glad you are sorted.

We are always interested in how owners resolve problems - thanks.

cheers

Glad you are sorted.

We are always interested in how owners resolve problems - thanks.

thanks,

well if anyone needs any info on wiring let me know i have copies of ecu pin outs