Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heating Problem Avensis 2004 D4d

tomekpel

Hi, heating in my Avensis 2004 D4D does not seem to work at all. The air is being blown inside but cold. Checked the fluid level, all fine but one of the water pipes that go inside the car remains cold even when engine reached normal temperature. Any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks! Tom

Possible faulty thermostat not allowing coolant to circulate. Check heat difference between top / bottom rad hoses & radiator itself. And watch your hands in case rad coolant fan kicks in whilst your checking components. Best to check with engine off, but still look out for fan.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi, heating in my Avensis 2004 D4D does not seem to work at all. The air is being blown inside but cold. Checked the fluid level, all fine but one of the water pipes that go inside the car remains cold even when engine reached normal temperature. Any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks! Tom

have thermostat changed

cheers/Igor

Engine reaching normal temp, coolant level ok, must be down to the heater control valve not opening and so not letting hot coolant flow through heater matrix. (one pipe is cold so no flow)

Does it have climate control or manual control? If manual could be just the cable come adrift and not operating the valve. If it's climate control it could be a sensor fault, valve fault or electronic control unit fault.

That's my take on it anyway. Hope it is helpful.

Thanks for replies everyone. I went down to see a mechanic today. He had a look with engine on for a few minutes and fluid cap off. He said it might be the valve indeed and that I may check it myself under the dashboard. If not I was going to come back for him to do it. To my surprise thou, after I drove off and done maybe 200 yards the heating kicked in. I don't really know what think of it now.

Thanks for replies everyone. I went down to see a mechanic today. He had a look with engine on for a few minutes and fluid cap off. He said it might be the valve indeed and that I may check it myself under the dashboard. If not I was going to come back for him to do it. To my surprise thou, after I drove off and done maybe 200 yards the heating kicked in. I don't really know what think of it now.

Possibly had an airlock and running with the cap off has released it. Has the system been refilled recently? Fingers crossed that it's all ok now. Just keep an eye on the coolant level for a while.

Possibly had an airlock and running with the cap off has released it. Has the system been refilled recently? Fingers crossed that it's all ok now. Just keep an eye on the coolant level for a while.

Nothing's been done to it recently. I wonder how an airlock could develop, is it 'natural' for engines to do that? Anyway, I'll have a bottle of coolant handy and keep and eye on the level.

Nothing's been done to it recently. I wonder how an airlock could develop, is it 'natural' for engines to do that? Anyway, I'll have a bottle of coolant handy and keep and eye on the level.

You could get an airlock after the system has been refilled (antifreeze change etc.)

The other way you really don't want to hear,,,,, if the head gasket is starting to leak from a cylinder accross to the water jacket, the bubbles of gas can go up into the heater and get lodged there, but fingers crossed it isn't.

Hopefully it was the valve sticking shut or something similar. Is it climate control? the one with temperature in degrees on the temp dial? or is it just cold to hot on the rotational dial?

Is it climate control? the one with temperature in degrees on the temp dial? or is it just cold to hot on the rotational dial?

It's not climate control, just cold and hot dial.

hello

look - you still have not disclosed the problem but try to add coolant -- it is a wrong way.

the problem is only temporarly gone and will wait for you when you do not wait it !!!

So the only way to find a problem must be followed. Check with service history and how many times the coolant has been channged + system washing up.

The problem might be very simple -- due to a dirty system the thermostatic valve can be blocked (its normal stroke when coolant warmed up). The issue with air inside must also be verified.

Cheers/Igor

hello

look - you still have not disclosed the problem but try to add coolant -- it is a wrong way.

the problem is only temporarly gone and will wait for you when you do not wait it !!!

So the only way to find a problem must be followed. Check with service history and how many times the coolant has been channged + system washing up.

The problem might be very simple -- due to a dirty system the thermostatic valve can be blocked (its normal stroke when coolant warmed up). The issue with air inside must also be verified.

Cheers/Igor

Hello Igor. I have not added any coolant yet, I did not have to because the level is fine. I will keep an eye on it. Do you think coolant has to be changed? My car is 5 years old and has 112k miles. Tom

hello

Cheers/Igor

Hello Igor. I have not added any coolant yet, I did not have to because the level is fine. I will keep an eye on it. Do you think coolant has to be changed? My car is 5 years old and has 112k miles. Tom

Tom

hi

I change collant + wash all system each two years + do test for density each year. My car is since 2003.

Cheers/Igor

Hi, I've got an update on my problem. I found out that the engine is losing coolant, have to top up every 2-3 days. There's no obvious leak apart from around two screws on engine body, please see attached picture. There are still no signs of any fault in how engine works i.e. noise, power. The car had belt changed recently, may this have anything to do with it? Thanks for any suggestions. Tom

post-24390-1235909640_thumb.jpg

could be head gasket mine had similar symptoms and after a presssure test found no leaks a head gasket test was done and it was found to be faulty , is your car a 2.2 because TOYOTA UK have told me its a very very common fault in them

could be head gasket mine had similar symptoms and after a presssure test found no leaks a head gasket test was done and it was found to be faulty , is your car a 2.2 because TOYOTA UK have told me its a very very common fault in them

2004, D4D. The leak seems to be only from under these two screws in the picture. Looks like maybe the parts were not put together properly after the belt was changed. What do mechanics think?

2004, D4D. The leak seems to be only from under these two screws in the picture. Looks like maybe the parts were not put together properly after the belt was changed. What do mechanics think?

I wouldn't have thought it but not conversant with belt change on this model of car. If the water is leaking from under the bolt heads, How is it getting into the bolt holes? I suspect it may be some seapage from the head gasket creaping into the bolt holes.

Head gasket problem would also explain the possible heater airlock.

Needs a bit of hands on investigation.

Just had another look at the picture, how far down the engine are these bolts? are they above or below the head to block joint?

If below, forget the head gasket seeping into the bolt holes.

Just had another look at the picture, how far down the engine are these bolts? are they above or below the head to block joint?

If below, forget the head gasket seeping into the bolt holes.

I am not familiar with engines but these two screws seem to be half way down the main block, probably 6-8 inches below the point where you top up the oil. I am taking the car to the garage that has changed the belt and where I usually take my car. I'll let you know what's the outcome of that. Thanks.

To tomekpel,

You say that you have just had new cambelt fitted, it is quite possible that water pump may have failed due to tension of new belt being placed on old w/pump that has done 112,000 miles. Pump has small drain hole to show any water leakage, have a good look around the bottom drive belt pullies for any water stains.

Regards, Beagh.

To tomekpel,

You say that you have just had new cambelt fitted, it is quite possible that water pump may have failed due to tension of new belt being placed on old w/pump that has done 112,000 miles. Pump has small drain hole to show any water leakage, have a good look around the bottom drive belt pullies for any water stains.

Regards, Beagh.

yes agree + each pump has special hole under the mechanical seal just to evaluate condition of this seal.

cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, for anyone interested - I had to have the pump replaced. Seems that even though it looked o.k. when cambelt was being changed, the pump started to go right after. Thanks for all replies and advice. Tom

Hi, for anyone interested - I had to have the pump replaced. Seems that even though it looked o.k. when cambelt was being changed, the pump started to go right after. Thanks for all replies and advice. Tom

Roughly how much did it cost Tom? getting my belt changed next week

Roughly how much did it cost Tom? getting my belt changed next week

Initially I was quoted around 350 for belt (kit), pump and labor. I know pump only is about 120. I recommend you change both while you have it all out anyway. Tom

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links