Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fast Tick Over

RickyO

I have a 55 Avensis 2.2 D4D 6 speed. When starting up car running at 1100 rpm would like to get this down to 800 but unless air temperature outside over 11 degrees this won't happen. On a cold morning the car takes up to 10 miles for the revs to drop back to 800 when idling. Any ideas as to why this is happening please?

Thanks

I have a 55 Avensis 2.2 D4D 6 speed. When starting up car running at 1100 rpm would like to get this down to 800 but unless air temperature outside over 11 degrees this won't happen. On a cold morning the car takes up to 10 miles for the revs to drop back to 800 when idling. Any ideas as to why this is happening please?

Thanks

It's not the outside temperature that controls this, it's the coolant (engine) temperature. My guess is you have a duff thermostat and the engine is taking too long to reach normal operating temperature.

This is normal when the weather warms up all will be fine again. :D

Thats a distinct possibility. After all, it is a cold ar**d diesel. :yucky:

As said above, does take a while to warm up in this weather we're having at mo. How quick does the temp guage go up?

Interesting question, I have the same problem with my T180 2.2 diesel.

Takes for ever to warm up & is still idling at 1250 rpm when outside temperature is 7 degrees & temperature guage is 5.5 notches up from cold.

I`m going to get dealer to have a look at it - I suspect many 2.2 Toyota diesels are like this, I bet its not a thermostat issue.

To Ricky0,

I have 03 model D4D & this is perfectly normal even on a warm day. From cold if i switch heater on for example revs rise to 1200 rpm, all early MK2 D4D's do this. Coldest we would get down to would be -5 or 6 & engine does exactly the same & takes a good 10 miles to get up to normal temp.

Maybe it's different for later chain drive 2.2 models & if idle is way above 800 rpm from start up with no load on engine then maybe you do have a problem.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Maybe a trip to your local dealer will clear matters up.

These disels are designed to rev high in order to get the engine up to its most efficient temp as quick as possible. If the engine warning light isnt coming on then chances are there will be no faults. Just out of curiousity, do you have the climate control switched on? This increases the revs when in use.

I too have this on my 2008 2.2 tr this is perfectly normal the trick is for a faster warm up is to set the climate control to low with minimum fan setting this reduces the tickover to 900rpm and the car reaches normal running temp a lot quicker then use heater as normal trust me i dont like using unescessary fuel.

Thanks

It's not the outside temperature that controls this, it's the coolant (engine) temperature. My guess is you have a duff thermostat and the engine is taking too long to reach normal operating temperature.

Thanks for that idea although when the car gets warmed up to normal temp. tick over is back to 800 rpm. but that does take upto 15 mins so I will give it a try.

I too have this on my 2008 2.2 tr this is perfectly normal the trick is for a faster warm up is to set the climate control to low with minimum fan setting this reduces the tickover to 900rpm and the car reaches normal running temp a lot quicker then use heater as normal trust me i dont like using unescessary fuel.

cheers mate thats worth trying

These disels are designed to rev high in order to get the engine up to its most efficient temp as quick as possible. If the engine warning light isnt coming on then chances are there will be no faults. Just out of curiousity, do you have the climate control switched on? This increases the revs when in use.

no i dont have air con on and no warning lights either so maybe this is normal thanks

To Ricky0,

I have 03 model D4D & this is perfectly normal even on a warm day. From cold if i switch heater on for example revs rise to 1200 rpm, all early MK2 D4D's do this. Coldest we would get down to would be -5 or 6 & engine does exactly the same & takes a good 10 miles to get up to normal temp.

Maybe it's different for later chain drive 2.2 models & if idle is way above 800 rpm from start up with no load on engine then maybe you do have a problem.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Maybe a trip to your local dealer will clear matters up.

thanks for reply beagh thinking about it

Interesting question, I have the same problem with my T180 2.2 diesel.

Takes for ever to warm up & is still idling at 1250 rpm when outside temperature is 7 degrees & temperature guage is 5.5 notches up from cold.

I`m going to get dealer to have a look at it - I suspect many 2.2 Toyota diesels are like this, I bet its not a thermostat issue.

cheers tubaman please keep in touch if you find the answer

As said above, does take a while to warm up in this weather we're having at mo. How quick does the temp guage go up?

engine takes about12 to 15 mins running to get to optimum temp

This is normal when the weather warms up all will be fine again. :D

o k pal hope youre right

Believe me Ricky0 it will and thank you for your acknowledgement. :thumbsup:

To Ricky0,

Might be missing something here, early MK2 D4D (1CD-FTV) engines from cold or warm enviroment unless from extreme cold (Siberia) climate when started will idle at 800 rpm without any circuits switched on which would place load on engine. If you turn heater on for example, engine will automatically raise to 1200 rpm, this is normal & not a fault. This is purely to enable engine warm up quicker, i assumed this was your posting.

As to later engines ie: 2.2 litre, if starting engine from cold your idle speed goes right up it is possible that you have a fault or a design feature of car different to earlier cambelt engine mentioned above, a call to Toyota should clear matter up.

Regards, Beagh.

To Ricky0,

Might be missing something here, early MK2 D4D (1CD-FTV) engines from cold or warm enviroment unless from extreme cold (Siberia) climate when started will idle at 800 rpm without any circuits switched on which would place load on engine. If you turn heater on for example, engine will automatically raise to 1200 rpm, this is normal & not a fault. This is purely to enable engine warm up quicker, i assumed this was your posting.

As to later engines ie: 2.2 litre, if starting engine from cold your idle speed goes right up it is possible that you have a fault or a design feature of car different to earlier cambelt engine mentioned above, a call to Toyota should clear matter up.

Regards, Beagh.

Its got nothing to do with warming the engine up quicker. Think about it. When you are driving the car, the engine is being revved up all the time, so it can not get warmed up any quicker than it allready is. So, when you stop at traffic lights, junctions etc. the engine will be idling. When the weather is really cold, what do you do? You switch the lights on because its usually dark, you switch the rear screen heater on, you switch the front screen demister on, and then you put the radio on.

It is to stop the Battery being discharged too much when the engine is idling. Nothing to do with warming up faster.

With respect, read my posting again. Witch part of posting mentions that i am driving the car, clearly states when i start my car it idles at 800 rpm. And as a side line i tend too switch my lights on when it is dark. As to Siberia i was being ironic. The original posting was to do with forum user wondering about very high idle from start up.

I appreciate your point about about Battery discharging, but my alternator gives a reading of 14.2 volts at idle & 14.5 volts under load.

Regards, Beagh.

And you also said that as soon as you switch the fan on, the engine idles faster. If you have not got anything turned on, the idle doesn't need to be any higher.

quote;

' The original posting was to do with forum user wondering about very high idle from start up.'

He doesn't say what electrical circuits hes got switched on from start up.

Sorry Beagh, I'm not having a go at you, lots of other posters have said the same thing as you, about faster warm up.

But that is not the reason why you have a fast idle when cold.

Lots of journeys that some cars make are short ones, too short to warm the engine up and too short to recharge the Battery sufficiently after starting from cold.

My 1.6 petrol starts up at 2000, 5 minutes later it's fine at around 900, previous posts on this forum suggest this is normal

To Ricky0,

Regards, Beagh.

Its got nothing to do with warming the engine up quicker. Think about it. When you are driving the car, the engine is being revved up all the time, so it can not get warmed up any quicker than it allready is. So, when you stop at traffic lights, junctions etc. the engine will be idling. When the weather is really cold, what do you do? You switch the lights on because its usually dark, you switch the rear screen heater on, you switch the front screen demister on, and then you put the radio on.

It is to stop the Battery being discharged too much when the engine is idling. Nothing to do with warming up faster.

Well, I don't know if it's for quicker warming up or not but I can tell you that an alternator will charge quite happily at idle speeds (low revs). That's why we dont have dynamos any more (for those who can remember them). A dynamo would not charge at idle.

cheers mate thats worth trying

ive tried youre suggestion and you are absolutely spot on thanks a lot taximan thats solved the problem regards RickyO

Not familiar with this specific engine, nor diesel engines in general, but if this was a petrol engine i would say it was perfectly normal. To assure a smooth idle at low engine temperature, the rpm should be higher. Those of you who remember the old carburated engines, may also be familiar with the fact that if the choke wasn't used the engine would stall, when cold.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links