Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Anti-roll Bar Links

davidg

A note on my service history says the bushings have perished and i need to get the links replaced.

Also, when i go round corners at full lock i get a rattling noise.

Are these things related - i.e if i get the links fixed will the noise go?

Cheers

If the bushes were really bad you would get more of a knock than a rattle. Bushes are quite a common thing to wear/perish. Shouldnt be paying anymore than £150 to replace them. I'd say your rattling noise is probably the CV joints. Can be quite expensive to change depending on where you go.

Bushes on my SR are badly worn, it bangs and crashes over every pothole and cat's eyes.

Summer time, all bushes replaced and new suspension. Sould be fine then for another 10yrs......Hopefully :D

As PhilGee mentions, it sounds like a CV joint gone t*ts up. I had a micra once with this problem, paid a local mechanic £50 to sort it. Not a real big job, just awkward.

Good luck, keep us posted. :thumbsup:

im not really getting any banging, crashing or knocking sounds but i do get the occasional 'pulling' sensation. ive had problems with cv joints in the past with my old saxo so ive been deliberately ignoring the rattling for the last few months, convincing myself that as soon as i get a bit of cash to get the links sorted (quoted 185 from mr T) then it would magically disappear. It cost me a lot more than £50 last time. i think for that amount they'd probably just repack the joint with grease.

thanks

i was kind of hoping you wouldnt say that :(

Sorry mate :( Just turn the radio up a bit louder ;)

Is the noise on full lock a kind of clicking sound? If so it's probably CV joints, got the same issue with mine. Investigated getting it fixed, wasn't going to be huge money but nowhere had the joints in stock, they were only available on an exchage basis, which would've meant the car being off the road for several days. So for the time being I'm leaving it until it gets noticably worse, and then I might have to bite the bullet and take it to the main dealer :(

Is the noise on full lock a kind of clicking sound? If so it's probably CV joints, got the same issue with mine. Investigated getting it fixed, wasn't going to be huge money but nowhere had the joints in stock, they were only available on an exchage basis, which would've meant the car being off the road for several days. So for the time being I'm leaving it until it gets noticably worse, and then I might have to bite the bullet and take it to the main dealer :(

If you take it to the main dealer then I hope you've got over a grand ready to spend. Out of interest how old's your t-sport? Things like cv joints shouldn't be going on cars this new should they?!

yup clicking sound is exactly it, but only when turning right.

ive got it booked in for new brake pads this weekend so i'll get him to have a look at the joints at the same time. i'll let you know what he quotes me. im hoping a bit of grease will sort it, i cant really afford to replace both the links and cvs.

it's a 52 reg so getting on for 7 years old...

If you take it to the main dealer then I hope you've got over a grand ready to spend. Out of interest how old's your t-sport? Things like cv joints shouldn't be going on cars this new should they?!

I knew dealers were expensive but thats crazy! Mine is an 03 plate, only done 56k so I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that they've gone, but if davidg has the same problem maybe it is a common fault? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same.

Wouldnt say it was a common fault with them. I've only ever seen a handful with this problem. Have a word with "Partsking" on here. Think he's a parts expert and maybe able to shed some light on costs. £1k sounds excessive to me.

OR £50 for a full set of A/R bar links and bushes from the :king:

genuine part, in stock

Kingo :thumbsup:

OR £50 for a full set of A/R bar links and bushes from the :king:

genuine part, in stock

Kingo :thumbsup:

I ordered some from Parts-King earlier as I also have the same problem with the bushes being worn out. :)

Wouldnt say it was a common fault with them. I've only ever seen a handful with this problem. Have a word with "Partsking" on here. Think he's a parts expert and maybe able to shed some light on costs. £1k sounds excessive to me.

The £1000+ refers to new cv joints fitted by the main dealer. They'll generally relieve you of just £150 for fitting new front anti roll bar bushes. Bargain!

The £1000+ refers to new cv joints fitted by the main dealer. They'll generally relieve you of just £150 for fitting new front anti roll bar bushes. Bargain!

Are they really this much. Thats a bit of a shock. Thought they were only a few hundred quid. :o

For those who are interested i got a quote from my local independent garage:

£70 for the anti-roll bar links +£40 labour = £130

I was looking at the ones on eBay - thanks nickp8 - i could buy these myself, get them fitted and save 50 quid?? :unsure:

I was also quoted £130 for x1 aftermarket cv joint (plus shaft) OR £300+ for the proper Toyota part... hmm think i'll be taking PhilGee's advice on that one.

For those who are interested i got a quote from my local independent garage:

£70 for the anti-roll bar links +£40 labour = £130

I was looking at the ones on ebay - thanks nickp8 - i could buy these myself, get them fitted and save 50 quid?? :unsure:

I was also quoted £130 for x1 aftermarket cv joint (plus shaft) OR £300+ for the proper Toyota part... hmm think i'll be taking PhilGee's advice on that one.

I decided to get genuine Toyota ones from Parts-King (£50 delivered and came next day) and have them fitted locally after reading someone else who got the cheap eBay ones said they were no good and after a short while had to then get genuine Toyota ones fitted. Fitting anti-roll bar links is not a big job, only about 20 mins and any good local garage will do it for you. Personally I think just get the genuine Toyota and pay one one labour charge and you wont have to worry about them.

Regarding the CV joint the aftermarket kits are £50 delivered on eBay with 1yr warranty. Might be worth a punt? Get a quote for labour from a local garage. May stiill work out a cheaper price than the aftermarket one you posted about above which is £130 without labour.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CV-JOINT-KIT-TOYOTA-...A1%7C240%3A1318

I've had notes in my previous MOT's saying the buhes are perished, and I have done nothing about it, it doesn't knock so until it does they stay on the car.

The rubber on the outside may be perished but inside they may well be ok.

yup clicking sound is exactly it, but only when turning right.

ive got it booked in for new brake pads this weekend so i'll get him to have a look at the joints at the same time. i'll let you know what he quotes me. im hoping a bit of grease will sort it, i cant really afford to replace both the links and cvs.

it's a 52 reg so getting on for 7 years old...

S'wot y' get for too much dry steering!

Also. Does the T-pot have the same parts as the standard model? If so, the added burden of wider tyres may help...not! :angry: