Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 2.2 D-4d 150hp Cylinder Head Fault

WallRiver

Hello fellow Toyota owners!

I was wondering if you have had an epidemic with the cylinder heads in 2005-2006 model 2.2 d-4d 150hp engines? Because here in Finland we seem to have one, especially with the cars used as Taxi's.

My own Avensis is an old taxi (driven 236tkm ~148mi.), year model 2006, and the cylinder head is done! As I have discussed this issue it became evident that this has been the case with very many same engines. E.g. in my home town all the three Taxi's has been repaired under warranty (three out of three!). The problem is that my car is driven more than 100tkm which is the warranty limit but it seems like this is not affected by the normal warranty as it seems to be a manufacturer fault (apparently it's a casting fault in the cylinder head??).

Let me know if you have found this same problem in UK.

Thanks!

I was wondering if you have had an epidemic with the cylinder heads in 2005-2006 model 2.2 d-4d 150hp engines? Because here in Finland we seem to have one, especially with the cars used as Taxi's.

My own Avensis is an old taxi (driven 236tkm ~148mi.), year model 2006, and the cylinder head is done! As I have discussed this issue it became evident that this has been the case with very many same engines. E.g. in my home town all the three Taxi's has been repaired under warranty (three out of three!). The problem is that my car is driven more than 100tkm which is the warranty limit but it seems like this is not affected by the normal warranty as it seems to be a manufacturer fault (apparently it's a casting fault in the cylinder head??).

Thanks!

no problems reported over here, what exactly is youre milage, sorry dont really understand youre post???????

Yes there have been problems with the headgaskets failing, losing coolant and overheating.

Have repaired a few at our place - sometimes requiring brand new cylinder head as they cant be skimmed.

Mart.

my 2.2 toyota avensises gasket went at 48k !!!!!!!!!!!! s s smith has stated no problems!!! lol TOYOTA UK rang my local dealers after they said my coolant loss was normal and told them to do head gasket test as it was a common failure in the 2.2 d4d ,, thry done test and head had gone ,, needed replaced under warranty ,, examine the threads and you will find countless posts about head gasket failures

Thanks!

no problems reported over here, what exactly is youre milage, sorry dont really understand youre post???????

The mileage is 236000km or ~148000 miles. Thank you everybody for the answers, seems like this is indeed a manufacturer fault which should be repaired eventhough the warranty has been expired.

I will take my car to local service tomorrow and I will let you know what happens.

Thanks!

The mileage is 236000km or ~148000 miles. Thank you everybody for the answers, seems like this is indeed a manufacturer fault which should be repaired eventhough the warranty has been expired.

I will take my car to local service tomorrow and I will let you know what happens.

Honestly dont think you will get it done for free, apart from the fact the car has done way over the 60000 warranty mileage the fault isnt mega common so i dont see Toyota paying anything towards it. Let us know how you get on though.

Mart.

oh the fault is very very mega common and thats by TOYOTA UK OWN ADMISSION , but if your car is over the 60000m/100000k warranty , then you have no chance of getting any financial assistance by toyota.

Sorry but it is NOT a massive problem

To be precise, I have NO sales history for a 2.2 cylinder head and only 2 head gaskets in 12 months

At 148K I cant see Toyota paying for a new head

Kingo :thumbsup:

we both have just stated where we live it is a massive problem zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

must only be a problem in Finland and Ireland then?????????

TOYOTA UK told me it was a common fault , my local dealer only decided to perform a gasket test after TOYOTA UK contacted them and told them to do it . anyways forget about it , i think some guys take it way to personal on here if you state that toyota cars(like all cars) are prone to faults.

TOYOTA UK told me it was a common fault , my local dealer only decided to perform a gasket test after TOYOTA UK contacted them and told them to do it . anyways forget about it , i think some guys take it way to personal on here if you state that toyota cars(like all cars) are prone to faults.

why would we take it personal??, its only a brand of car, people come on here to give there views, sorry if they are differant to youre views

Strange why it would be a "massive" problem in Ireland and not the UK, must be all the rain you get ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I know you guys are talking about 2006 but hoped someone might be able to help as its kind of related. does any1 know about any serious factory faults on the 2001 1.6vvti avensis, i have heard there was a case of oval shaped barrels not sure if this is true or not??

lol im in Northern Ireland(UK) ,, must be sellafield plant !!!!!!!lol

Probably, were good at polluting everyone else :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Having just bought a 2007 2.2 d4d with 38k on the clock, you lads are starting to worry me now as I got the Avensis on the back of the utter reliabilty of my old 1.6 Carina e!!!

dont worry,,, be happy!! ,, just keep an eye on your coolant ,, my engine temperature gague stayed at normal even thoo i was using a litre of coolant a week!! and if youre heater starts to blow cold air when on hot settings , then worry lol

In all fairness. There have been cars, that had the intire engine replaced at 100.000 km. Cars like Ford, Opel and even BMW.

Having just bought a 2007 2.2 d4d with 38k on the clock, you lads are starting to worry me now as I got the Avensis on the back of the utter reliabilty of my old 1.6 Carina e!!!

if you had bought a Ford TDCI, Opel/VauxhallCDTi, VW group etc. & gone on their forums you would be just as (or more worried) - nobody has made a faultless car/engine yet.

I agree I had a BMW 320d lots of problems listed for them inlet manifold splitting

Turbo failure, swirl flaps breaking off engine sucking them in £10k bill

Sold it as quick as I could well pleased with my Avensis 2.2 D4D

But it seems all cars have their problems it just if the manufacture are prepared to

Admit and put it right.

And why does Kia put a 7-year warranty on their cars yet the big boys don’t

On there’s. :D

• 2 years later...

It is a little worrying. My Dads got a 2.2 nearly done 90,000 miles. Touching wood and praying the car lasts for years without this unliked word of 'Head Gasket'. My one question is if Toyota know about it then why hasn't anything been done about it. They just changed the engine and that's it? Biggest question... What's causing it! Has Toyota not done anything about it because its only a small number of 2.2's that have gone and the rest last for 100's thousands of miles like all modern cars do these days, Because if it does go an the owner has to pay for it even though its Toyota's fault in production of these engines. Is it caused by fluid levels not being checked because head gasket failing normally occurs if there's too low coolant, thermostat's gone (Quite Rare) or water pumps gone (Also Quite Rare). Car overheats and normally warps the head etc. There's no way the Head Gasket can just GO all of sudden, something has to cause it. Another thing peeps in other posts saying could it be caused by something in Toyota's long life coolant (Cherry Red Stuff), Additives or something similar? I'm pretty sure the same or similar engine is still in production and whatever's causing it would be fixed on it. Maybe its only 1 out of 50 or whatever 2.2's have a problem. Most modern cars these days last for years 10+ and can easily do 200,000 miles+. Will a or any 2.2 be able to do that without any faults? (Especially Diesels). These engines are also great mile crunches on the motorways and probably what the engine is best at doing, long distance driving.

My one question is if Toyota know about it then why hasn't anything been done about it. They just changed the engine and that's it? Biggest question... What's causing it! Has Toyota not done anything about it because its only a small number of 2.2's that have gone and the rest last for 100's thousands of miles like all modern cars do these days,

Given that this engine is still in volume production I would put money on it that Toyota have done something to production. Plus they have this unpublicised extended warranty for it - at least Toyota seem to treat this better than Ford, Vauxhall, VW etc. probably would have.

I have yet to see a report of this problem in a T27 (available from the start of 2009) despite no doubt that some will have done the mileage where this has become noticeable.

Even on older models I'm sure that it's relatively rare (probably under 5%).

& if you think that all modern cars do hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem I fear that you are sadly mistaken & as they get more & more complicated I don't expect it to get better :censor: