Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 2.2 D-4d 150hp Cylinder Head Fault

WallRiver

Given that this engine is still in volume production I would put money on it that Toyota have done something to production. Plus they have this unpublicised extended warranty for it - at least Toyota seem to treat this better than Ford, Vauxhall, VW etc. probably would have.

I have yet to see a report of this problem in a T27 (available from the start of 2009) despite no doubt that some will have done the mileage where this has become noticeable.

Even on older models I'm sure that it's relatively rare (probably under 5%).

& if you think that all modern cars do hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem I fear that you are sadly mistaken & as they get more & more complicated I don't expect it to get better :censor:

I'm not talking about wear and tear items, just talking about the car needing equivalent to open heart surgery to replace the head gasket, Seeing as the head gasket should normally live the life of the car. I was thinking it must be a small number of 2.2 (1 out of 50 or 500 whatever) have the problem and the others would be problem free its entire long life, Seeing how many posts peeps of this forum have talked about this terrible problem, it looks like every 2.2 engine produced will/may have this problem sometime in its life and after changing the gasket the same problem comes back again. Seeing as these cars are normally used as company cars for eating up the motorway miles and do about 20,000 miles a year, I thought they might be alright. My local Mr T hasn't had any 2.2 problems and said they have quite a few a month for service and the highest mileage car was over 140,000 with no problem history! Touching every wood possible my car remains trouble free, being at nearly 90,000 miles, only thing had to change was the starter motor as the old one got really weak. Keep an eye on fluid levels, interval serveses/oil changes the car SHOULD be fine. :unsure:

Toyota replaced my gasket and after about 80000 miles it needed done again , these models are definetly no good for high miles,i want an old Carina E or Avensis straight diesel pre D4D

Unfortunately it's true - the more complex you make something run, the more potential for things to go wrong. Look at the expense of replacing a dual mass flywheel or a diesel particulate filter :crybaby: very scary indeed. The Tdci Mondeo has an enormous 'failed' case file for both of those & Toyota is earning itself a similar deal with the D4-D engines (particularly the 2.0 & 2.2). At least there is an extended warranty possibilty for some folks with Toyota though . . . .

Seeing how many posts peeps of this forum have talked about this terrible problem, it looks like every 2.2 engine produced will/may have this problem sometime in its life and after changing the gasket the same problem comes back again. Seeing as these cars are normally used as company cars for eating up the motorway miles and do about 20,000 miles a year, I thought they might be alright.

How many hundreds of thousands if not millions of these engines do you think have been made & yet we are talking I would estimate in the low 10s of complaints on this forum.

The problem definitely exists but I don't see anything like every one developing this problem - as I said earlier I would guesstimate that it's under 5%.

Anyway, Toyota have done a deal with BMW over diesel engines/technology ... not that I'm convinced that's a panacea.

When I & others used to run Vauxhall Omegas the BMW sourced 2.5TD was notorious - I knew a guy who had 3 new engines within the first 3 months of it being delivered! :eek:

What do you class as major?

imo it's proof that they acknowledge that the problem exists on a reasonable quantity & it's not just 1 or 2 odd vehicles but not proof that they class it as a major problem. It's also good customer care that many car companies probably wouln't have done.

Again imo if they thought that it was a major problem then they would have stopped production/sales of those engine years ago as £6K replacement engines obviously bite heavily into profitability - so you can conclude that faults are/were rare enough that it's cheaper for them to replace the odd faulty one than stop production/sales of those models.

• Like 1

What do you class as major?

imo it's proof that they acknowledge that the problem exists on a reasonable quantity & it's not just 1 or 2 odd vehicles but not proof that they class it as a major problem. It's also good customer care that many car companies probably wouln't have done.

Again imo if they thought that it was a major problem then they would have stopped production/sales of those engine years ago as £6K replacement engines obviously bite heavily into profitability - so you can conclude that faults are/were rare enough that it's cheaper for them to replace the odd faulty one than stop production/sales of those models.

I'd have to agree with you :thumbsup: