Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

This Might Seem A Silly Question

Phil_M

but i cant seem the get the steering lock to engage.

is there any trick to it?

Once the key is removed and the steering is turned to the left or right, the lock should drop in. If not, it's faulty.

If it does drop in ok, you may have to relieve the tension on the lock to release it again by turning the wheel towards the left or right again (depending which way you turned it to lock it initially). This will relieve the tension against the lock and allow the key to turn.

Hope this helps.

not just me then ... :P

Mine engages when the 6 o'clock position on the wheel is rotated to about the 11 o'clock position (which is usually quite a wrestle as I park with the wheels straight ahead before I switch the ignition off).

not just me then ... :P

Mine engages when the 6 o'clock position on the wheel is rotated to about the 11 o'clock position (which is usually quite a wrestle as I park with the wheels straight ahead before I switch the ignition off).

Can I now ask a silly question. Why do you need the lock to be engaged before leaving the car parked? If anyone tries to steal it (the lock is an anti theft device) then as soon as they try to steer the vehicle the lock will engage anyway.

I usually park with the wheels in the straight ahead too, switch off and go.

Can I now ask a silly question. Why do you need the lock to be engaged before leaving the car parked? If anyone tries to steal it (the lock is an anti theft device) then as soon as they try to steer the vehicle the lock will engage anyway.

because the steering lock can be broken & the extra momentum/leverage on the wheel from not being engaged makes that easier to achieve.

because the steering lock can be broken & the extra momentum/leverage on the wheel from not being engaged makes that easier to achieve.

I see your point but if they are going to go down that route they will break it even when engaged. The steering lock doesn't stop a determined thief, it's just a deterant.

OK, let's take an inexperienced opportunistic but not determined thief.

He gets into your car & discovers the lock on & therefore doesn't bother trying to attack the ignition barrel or hotwire it but moves on.

Finds car that when he gets in steering wheel is free so proceeds to attack the barrel/rip wiring etc. to hotwire - even if he can't get away he's caused more damage.

Again it's just a higher level of deterrence (I suppose the possibility also exists that the ins. company could claim that you didn't secure the car properly) - if they really, really want the car they'll just come along with a tow truck!

He gets into your car & discovers the lock on & therefore doesn't bother trying to attack the ignition barrel or hotwire it but moves on.

Finds car that when he gets in steering wheel is free so proceeds to attack the barrel/rip wiring etc. to hotwire - even if he can't get away he's caused more damage.

Again it's just a higher level of deterrence (I suppose the possibility also exists that the ins. company could claim that you didn't secure the car properly) - if they really, really want the car they'll just come along with a tow truck!

Getting back to the original "silly question", I wonder if Phil_M got his lock to engage. :driving:

Getting back to the original "silly question", I wonder if Phil_M got his lock to engage. :driving:

Came-on Phil_M, the suspence is killing me.......well.did you?

Came-on Phil_M, the suspence is killing me.......well.did you?

nope, think its foobared!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links