Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Virus Alert......

Devil-ish

Dont know if this is relevant or not - but thought I'd post it up.

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' thewhole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive

this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vitalinformation is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT

TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pompey Gaz

• Raistlin

• Bizarra

• Demonic Angel

Why would CNN announce a virus? :wacko:

It's a hoax in itself but you can get cards from greetings companies so you should always be on your guard but this is one of the longest standing hoaxes around - sorry

Snopes link

If the url in a greetings email is suspect, just don't click on it!

I see that they are now saying "I've checked with Snopes" in the emails.... what a bunch of croc... always double check these things, they cause unnecessary panic! We get them a lot in the company and I'm forever telling people they are hoaxes....

Wasn't having a go at you Anne.... but make sure you tell whoever sent it to you that it's a hoax and get them to pass it on.... send them the Snopes link if you like :)

It’s NOT a hoax, I’ve had it.

It was an attachment to an email I had around Valentines Day with the message that it was a postcard from Hallmark.

Fortunately I am using Window Live Mail with Vista (which has Windows Defender) and it flagged up in a Red colour and blocked it before it was opened.

So I can confirm there is a junk mail going around with a virus saying it’s from Hallmark.

:thumbsup:

It’s NOT a hoax, I’ve had it.

It was an attachment to an email I had around Valentines Day with the message that it was a postcard from Hallmark.

Fortunately I am using Window Live Mail with Vista (which has Windows Defender) and it flagged up in a Red colour and blocked it before it was opened.

So I can confirm there is a junk mail going around with a virus saying it’s from Hallmark.

:thumbsup:

As I said, you need to check the ones you get because some of them are fine and some are not - it also says this in the Snopes link if you read it :thumbsup:

But the one Anne posted is very much a hoax and a well known one at that. The trick is to always be on your guard when receiving any "You have a card" type messages and if you suspect anything, just don't click on it! :yes:

I got my coat a long time ago, Anne :(

I posted 2 of these at different times, thinking that they were genuine & that I was telling a wider audience than my circle of contacts. Snopes was quoted on both of mine, too.

We both did it for the greater good of all & were mistaken. So.... no worries :D

As I said, you need to check the ones you get because some of them are fine and some are not - it also says this in the Snopes link if you read it :thumbsup:

I had an email from Hallmark saying I had a postcard.

I clicked on it as sometimes I do get hallmark cards from friends so my suspicions weren’t alerted.

Due to the antivirus software on my PC, it flagged up as unsafe as there was an attachment (which had the virus) so I deleted it.

I don’t need to read Snopes or any other web site to confirm that Anne is correct in saying there IS an email going around with a virus saying its from Hallmark and it’s a Postcard and is infected! :thumbsup:

The virus is true enough, however, any email you get that says "Be aware, pass this to all your friends, etc etc" USUALLY contains a virus or malware in itself. I NEVER open up an email with an attachment that comes from a friend warning me about a virus. If your AV software is up to date, you dont need a warning from your friends about it, and dont help the spammers to pass on their malware, just delete any such emails and NEVER send them on to your friends

Kingo :thumbsup:

Who actually benefits from these sort of emails?????

AV companies???

Unless there was a link that you didn't post which would indicate some sort of phishing attempt I can see no other purpose in this email apart from to buy/upgrade your AV

So is Norton etc etc sending these out to scare monger?

What you think peeps?

lol

The purpose is to infect your computer with malware, so it can be taken over to send out more spam/unsolicited emails. I dont know the numbers, but a lot of people dont have any sort of AV installed on their comp, and when your PC is infected, you will probably never know it is being used illegally. Once a PC has been infected it can purport to be sending mail from you, but is in fact helping to lure people to phising sites and finance Internation crime and fraud. Get yourself good AV (It can be had for free) and dont open emails saying "you must open this email" :lol: You wouldnt invite a stranger into your house would you? so dont invite spam in either :lol:

gmail usually protects you from that stuff.. same as live did.

The purpose is to infect your computer with malware, so it can be taken over to send out more spam/unsolicited emails. I dont know the numbers, but a lot of people dont have any sort of AV installed on their comp, and when your PC is infected, you will probably never know it is being used illegally. Once a PC has been infected it can purport to be sending mail from you, but is in fact helping to lure people to phising sites and finance Internation crime and fraud. Get yourself good AV (It can be had for free) and dont open emails saying "you must open this email" :lol: You wouldnt invite a stranger into your house would you? so dont invite spam in either :lol:

I know .... but the above has no links/attachments (unless it was edited?)

The only thing I can think of is when you hit forward the email harvests all the email addresses and sends them on to Mr Spam

I don’t need to read Snopes or any other web site to confirm that Anne is correct in saying there IS an email going around with a virus saying its from Hallmark and it’s a Postcard and is infected! :thumbsup:

Which is what Snopes says, a waste of time typing a post really when you could have spent it reading an informative website article instead.... :rolleyes:

Either way.....thanks for the heads up Anne...it's always good to be on your guard.

I know .... but the above has no links/attachments (unless it was edited?)

The only thing I can think of is when you hit forward the email harvests all the email addresses and sends them on to Mr Spam

It could just have code embedded into the email, relying on vulnerable PC's to get infected

I don't have antivirus software OR a c drive. I feel left out

Advice from a total non-expert. Don't feel left out :D . Join the club & install AV, It's free :thumbsup:

I'm paranoid :rolleyes: & my Son is forever lecturing me on the extent of my Anti-virii, sweepers, washers etc. :(

I don't have antivirus software OR a c drive. I feel left out

Advice from a total non-expert. Don't feel left out :D . Join the club & install AV, It's free :thumbsup:

I'm paranoid :rolleyes: & my Son is forever lecturing me on the extent of my Anti-virii, sweepers, washers etc. :(

http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

see "safe for you and your kids"

Safe for you and your kids.

Designed with security in mind, Mac OS X isn’t plagued by constant attacks from viruses and malware. Likewise, it isn’t inundated by never-ending security dialogs. So you can safely go about your work — or play — without interruption. And easy-to-use parental controls let you manage what your kids can do on the computer and when they can do it.

Which is what Snopes says, a waste of time typing a post really when you could have spent it reading an informative website article instead.... :rolleyes:

I was concurring with Anne that on this particular warning she is right as I have actually received the said email

We get them a lot in the company and I'm forever telling people they are hoaxes....

On this occasion it isn’t a hoax, but I’ve never received the “Life is Beautiful” one though... :(

Ahh but its not totally immune....

Patch release for 21 vulnerabilities in Macs

Mac Exposure

Mac Trojans

Stealthier Mac Attacks

More Mac Malware

Yeah Windows is tripe in comparison, but don't imply Macs are "holier than thou" and are 100% safe from malware.... they're not. ;)

I'd say more than triple lol. 1 virus for mac a year, roughly 50,000 PC viruses. I'm not saying its totally immune, or 'holier than thou' just that the threat isn't great enough for me or other mac users.