Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accuracy Of Guages

mike787

I was wondering what other IQ owners are experiencing with their fuel guage. The wife's car goes about 120 miles before loosing the first blob, after the second blob has gone the guage then plummets to just two bobs left. How far has anyone done on a tank at this very early stage?

We took the car out last night and found the speedo is reading about 5 mph high, so in the real world, the car asks to be in 5th gear at 30mph!

I was wondering what other IQ owners are experiencing with their fuel guage. The wife's car goes about 120 miles before loosing the first blob, after the second blob has gone the guage then plummets to just two bobs left. How far has anyone done on a tank at this very early stage?

We took the car out last night and found the speedo is reading about 5 mph high, so in the real world, the car asks to be in 5th gear at 30mph!

i can confirm the speedo reads high mine @ 70 is really doing 64 , thats as long as my sat nav is accurate

My fuel gauge has also done pretty much what your describing Mike. Although i have done 336 miles since last filling up and got 2 blobs left

All sounds very similar to how the Verso instruments work, maybe it's a Toyota thing.

All sounds very similar to how the Verso instruments work, maybe it's a Toyota thing.

Yep, I have the same issue.

I personally HATE the digital fuel gauge....much prefer the old system.

driving this weekend I saw it drop 2 bars in about 10 minutes....ridiculous!

I personally HATE the digital fuel gauge....much prefer the old system.
The Verso has a dial and needle pointer but it still sits at full for the first 100 miles then suddenly drops to 3/4 and from the 1/2 full indication you get about a 1/4 of the tanks total milage, more logarithmic than linear scale.

Yep this is not model specific, most Toyota's are like that, and most manufacturers speedo's read 10% light

Kingo :thumbsup:

Seems pretty common re the fuel guage dropping, I guess it is the positioning of the sensor and the shape of the tank. I know about the accepted accuracy of the speedo's, I just cannot get over a petrol car wanting 5th at 30mph, they are very clever those Japanese. I agree with other comments re a needle being better than blobs for the fuel guage, yet the wife and I wish the car had the Yaris digital speedo, much easier to read.

Strange.

Ok Left work yesterday. Average MPG was at 49.7 after 5 miles fuel gauge dropped to two bars.

I drove steady on way home about 65 according to the speedo.

about 20 miles later MPG had gradually moved up to 50.2 and the fuel gauge jumped back up to 3 bars.

Does this mean the fuel gauge is showing how much fuel is left based on the current MPG ???

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...
Strange.

Ok Left work yesterday. Average MPG was at 49.7 after 5 miles fuel gauge dropped to two bars.

I drove steady on way home about 65 according to the speedo.

about 20 miles later MPG had gradually moved up to 50.2 and the fuel gauge jumped back up to 3 bars.

Does this mean the fuel gauge is showing how much fuel is left based on the current MPG ???

Cheers

John

I filled up on April 1st, 300 miles later I get the bottom blob flashing at me!! Of course I then panic thinking the car will grind to a halt any moment....So I whack £10 worth in and the gauge then reads three quarters full :huh:

Does anyone here have any experience on how far one can "risk" it on a flashing blob ?? I ask as I'd averaged 50.6 mpg and only managed 300 miles till the last bar decided to flash! Either this car has a minut tank or my gauge is broken!!

Steve

I have to say this is probably the worst thing about my iQ, the fuel guage drives me nuts. After a lovely drive to Birmingham from Essex other day I was leaving to come home & had 3 bars, then suddenly half way home it drops two togther & starts flashing at me. Bizarre. And again I am not sure how much to push my luck, without checking my manaul how much reserve is there on the flashing blob? My friends Fiesta has a countdown, a miles better design, she just looks & sees she has 150 miles left for example, my 172 had that too.

And as for the average MPG I can't even look at that as goes from 60 to 27 in one acceleration! :huh:

I have to say this is probably the worst thing about my iQ, the fuel guage drives me nuts. After a lovely drive to Birmingham from Essex other day I was leaving to come home & had 3 bars, then suddenly half way home it drops two togther & starts flashing at me. Bizarre. And again I am not sure how much to push my luck, without checking my manaul how much reserve is there on the flashing blob? My friends Fiesta has a countdown, a miles better design, she just looks & sees she has 150 miles left for example, my 172 had that too.

And as for the average MPG I can't even look at that as goes from 60 to 27 in one acceleration! :huh:

I think a 'range' function would have been good too. The dropping fuel guage is very annoying, I was on 299 miles since last fill up on the way into work this morning and it started flashing at me. So I fill her up to the brim and can only get 22 litres in - so I still had 10 litres in the tank or over 100 miles of driving! I think the manual says at 5.9 litres it starts flashing so I guess the flat fuel tank must have something to do with this unpredictable guage phenomenon! Still, it's the only thing that is bothering me with the car so I can't complain too much ^_^

After reading the thread titled 'emergency stop fuel starvation' to the wife, she has decided to fill up when she gets to three blobs left. Generally it means she is only putting in 22lts, but better that than the car spluttering to a halt when least expected. The gauges started flashing at her suddenly the other day so I guess it is something she has to live with. As I said before, it is keeping her quiet which makes for my life being better! For me, there are a few things Toyota need to sort out on face lifted models.

I wonder if their technicians read the comments on this site?

• 1 month later...

once you fill the iq up to the top it takes about 100 klm to go down to the first notch then it goes down every 50-60klms so i think you got about 350 to 400 klms per fill up

I get 300 - 325 miles on average to a tank

once you fill the iq up to the top it takes about 100 klm to go down to the first notch then it goes down every 50-60klms so i think you got about 350 to 400 klms per fill up

I seem to get about 100-110 MILES before the first notch or bar goes after topping up...maybe my trip odometer is calibrated in kms!

I had better check it sometime, I thought I was clocking up a big mileage but if it is only kms it would make sense, but also be very annoying!

I seem to get about 100-110 MILES before the first notch or bar goes after topping up...maybe my trip odometer is calibrated in kms!

I had better check it sometime, I thought I was clocking up a big mileage but if it is only kms it would make sense, but also be very annoying!

Just done around 120miles and the first blob has gone from the fuel gauge computer reads 60mpg fuel consumtion pretty pleased with that.

That was one thing that was driving me mad I drove for a week on one blob then used all the rest the second - the gauge is terrible I have now changed to an Auris similar idea but more blobs and better accuracy!

Hi all,

Picked up my black IQ2 today from Lindops in Queensferry and have to agree with the random fuel guage. Salesman had put £15 of fuel in before I picked it up so it was showing 3 bars. I drove it about 10 miles and it went down to 2 but I've just driven back from a few miles down the road and it was flashing a single bar...I wouldn't mind but the odometer is only showing 32 miles! I'd already read this thread but put £10 of petrol in just in case and the guage is now showing 5 bars so is definitely well off!

Oh well, like everyone else is saying, if that's the worst issue then I can live with it :0)

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

Picked up my black IQ2 today from Lindops in Queensferry and have to agree with the random fuel guage. Salesman had put £15 of fuel in before I picked it up so it was showing 3 bars. I drove it about 10 miles and it went down to 2 but I've just driven back from a few miles down the road and it was flashing a single bar...I wouldn't mind but the odometer is only showing 32 miles! I'd already read this thread but put £10 of petrol in just in case and the guage is now showing 5 bars so is definitely well off!

Oh well, like everyone else is saying, if that's the worst issue then I can live with it :0)

Cheers

Steve

Best option is to fill it up when 3 or 2 blobs showing its not a big tank so "20 should fill it simples

Hi all,

Cheers

Steve

Atleast the MPG average is pretty accurate (it is on my diesel anyway), so I just used that to determine how much I have left in the tank. I have run quite far with the last blop flashing, and have not run out of diesel yet.

That, and some of the plastik trims are the only problems I have found so far, no car is perfect. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links