Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2.2 D-4d Vers. Corolla T Sport

SF695

Speaking of unfair. I don't think it's really fair to compare Corolla T sport with Civic Type R. The Civic has a 2.0 l engine and would at any time wipe the T sport of the road.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SF695

• Rick D4D

• Norfolk n Chance

• boozehound

the Auris T180 is the Corolla T sport's sucessor, despite having a diesel engine. No other car in the Auris/Corolla lineup in production can be compared to the T sport, regarding performance.
Many would disagree becuase Toyota have not got a true hot hatch. If the Auris was not there would you be comapring it to RAV T180? They are completely different cars that can not be compaired. T Sport is a nimble sports hatch back comparable with the Civic type R ideal for track(ish) and road driving, and T180 is an semi-econmical long distance cruiser ideal for the family comparable with BMW 318d/320d, Seat/VW d's etc...

The fact still remains that regarding performance, they are pretty close and they are both hatch backs, wheater you choose to call them hot hatch or not. The BMW 318 is a sedan. VW Golf, yes, but this is a Toyota forum

Speaking of unfair. I don't think it's really fair to compare Corolla T sport with Civic Type R. The Civic has a 2.0 l engine and would at any time wipe the T sport of the road.

Interesting comment... i presume you have some evidence to back up this claim?

Although it's a pointless comment as it has nothing to do with your thread....

Interesting comment... i presume you have some evidence to back up this claim?

Although it's a pointless comment as it has nothing to do with your thread....

First hand evidence, no. But let's ask Rick D4D, who knows the Civic first hand.

The facts i know are, that the Civic Type R makes it from 0-100 in less than 7 seconds, where as the T sport uses 8.4 seconds.

Regarding the engines, they are both high reving NA engines, but the Civic has the advantage of displacement, which in my opinion makes the comparisation unfair. I'm not gonna be rute and call it pointless, i just think it's unfair.

Honda do make some cracking cars don't they

Integra type-r : what a beauty

S2000 a superb car from day 1

Civic type-r (old shape) superb performance for silly cheap money

I think they are all timeless too. Hopefully if i can start working from home i will be getting.... hmmm... probably a Focus RS, the new one, but after its lost 10k :D

Anyway, what an interesting thread this is turning into :rolleyes: . t180 certainly isn't quicker than a type-r as a car.

I never class this car as a hot hatch, but i love the power it has available at any point in the rev range (ok excluding 3.6k and above :)) which i think is what surprises many hot hatch owners like the type-r because normally they have be geared up for it. I'm off before their engine is screaming if you know what i mean. If they keep going they will get past but it takes illegal speeds in most cases.

Racing is a different kettle of fish, something i don't do and i know that in stock form its not going to win any prizes.... with a chip outputting 500nm and 220bhp with lower, stiffer springs and better airflow it would be a good contender when put alongside a type-r in an end to end race (even just a stock type-r). But since i just want to get to work comfortably without back pain and earache i choose a t180 :D showing up poncey reps and flexing my muscles on acceleration runs with other hot hatches is just a bit of mindless fun to brighten up my commutes.

The fact still remains that regarding performance, they are pretty close and they are both hatch backs, wheater you choose to call them hot hatch or not.
Matter of opinion I guess. The shape and more than average power is the only thing they have in common.

sorry rick it was oldsko01 who said it, not t sport, here is the quote he made from earlier on in this post

"Still the t180 can hold off a type-r and before people winge, its a reality i've done it.

so its still two of us!

The fact still remains that regarding performance, they are pretty close and they are both hatch backs, wheater you choose to call them hot hatch or not.
Matter of opinion I guess. The shape and more than average power is the only thing they have in common.

A matter of opinion indeed.

Speaking of comparisation, a guy on myspace was comparing the Honda Civic with a Ford Mustang earlier :)

Being an american he typically prefered large V8 engines. And i found myself pointing out the advantages of a smaller, lighter, high reving 4 cylinder.

Should mention that this was in a Honda hate thread. And allthough i have never had a Honda, i still think it is a good car and deserved better

Should mention that this was in a Honda hate thread. And allthough i have never had a Honda, i still think it is a good car and deserved better
A common yank attitude. **** U. S. A. ****

A common yank attitude. **** U. S. A. ****

Yeah, i guess. Except from the guys on Toyota Nation. Why to they still swear to that old pushrod design, when OHC has been tested and proved for so long?

This thread has gone a bit crazy all 3 cars are have similiar peformance and in real life they would be quite close together, most people would be happy with any of them.

Having seen a CTR at Santa Pod and several T-Sports on Sunday, i can safely say the difference is minimal, all thats needed now is T-180 to have a go.

This thread has gone a bit crazy all 3 cars are have similiar peformance and in real life they would be quite close together, most people would be happy with any of them.

Having seen a CTR at Santa Pod and several T-Sports on Sunday, i can safely say the difference is minimal, all thats needed now is T-180 to have a go.

I was only comparing the T sport and the T180. The Civic came in the picture as Honda's answer to T sport. And to be honest i think the Civic Type R is in a sliglty higher league, than the Corolla T sport. Or rather, it has outgrown it, since it received a 2.0 engine.

Agreed, Im sure Bozzehound would like to give it a go, he is 100% sure his T180 can hold a CTR off :laughing: nut sure how like as the CTR is 1.5 seconds faster to 62mph than the T180 :unsure:, but on a serious note I once watched a review on tv that had the T-Sport (Supercharged I think) against the CTR and there was nothing in it.

Agreed, Im sure Bozzehound would like to give it a go, he is 100% sure his T180 can hold a CTR off :laughing: nut sure how like as the CTR is 1.5 seconds faster to 62mph than the T180 :unsure:, but on a serious note I once watched a review on tv that had the T-Sport (Supercharged I think) against the CTR and there was nothing in it.

In all fairness i think he argued that he could hold the Type R off until a certain point, admitting the the Type R was faster if using all the rpm range. An old Mercedes 300 could also hold a Porche 911 off until a certain point, within a certain rpm range and speed range

the Civic Type R is in a slightly higher league, than the Corolla T sport. Or rather, it has outgrown it, since it received a 2.0 engine.

The slightly being 8 BHP per tonne, try measuring that :lol: ;)

In all fairness i think he argued that he could hold the Type R off until a certain point, admitting the the Type R was faster if using all the rpm range. An old Mercedes 300 could also hold a Porche 911 off until a certain point, within a certain rpm range and speed range

I know that but the CTR revs very quick and freely hence in 1st it would take about 2 seconds to be in vtec and once in vtec you can keep the CTR in vtec with its close ratio box all the way upto 146MPH hence its in the sweet spot (6000 - 8400rpm), The only way you would hold off a CTR was if it was is say 6th gear at 30MPH then you would have to change down a to 3rd or accelerate slower but the same can be said for the T180. I assure you the T180 will not hold off a correctly driven CTR at all, The same could be said that a 1.6 Auris could hold off a T180 if it was not correctly driven so does this make the 1.6 Auris faster? I think not.

Just like you have to drive the T180 in the right rev range to get max power the CTR is the same and dont let you thinking you need high revs for that as the CTR revs very freely, Like I said if you had a T180 at 30mph in 6th gear the pick up speed would be very very poor and to be honest the CTR would pick up quicker up until the T180 would hit about 55MPH and come on strong were as in 6th gear the CTR would be quick but not crazy until 120MPH.

I once had a 56 plate BMW Diesel driven by a young lad in a baseball cap undertake / cut me up on the M1, I was overtaking at about 65MPH in 6th and he put is foot down to stop me passing, I dont know what gear he was in etc but as he approached a car in front of him he then cut me up, all this time I stayed in 6th gear and was slower and behind. When the road was clear again I knew he would do the same again so this time I slowly went by in 4th and just as I thought he did the same again but this time I nailed the throttle and left him for dead. The guy followed me for about 80 miles but not once did he mess about again once he knew he did not have a chance.

Its like I said to get the most out of any car you have to drive it right and if both cars are correctly driven the T180 has no chance of holding off a CTR

the Civic Type R is in a slightly higher league, than the Corolla T sport. Or rather, it has outgrown it, since it received a 2.0 engine.

Depends on the model. Some versions of the Type R have 220 hp. And hp doesn't tell it all. The Type R has in any case more torque than the T sport. Now you may argue, that torque is only important in a given gear. But when talking about the 0-100/60 time for these cars, most of it is made in 1. gear and when going from 1. to 2. gear the torque only gets that more important.

Depends on the model. Some versions of the Type R have 220 hp. And hp doesn't tell it all. The Type R has in any case more torque than the T sport. Now you may argue, that torque is only important in a given gear. But when talking about the 0-100/60 time for these cars, most of it is made in 1. gear and when going from 1. to 2. gear the torque only gets that more important.

UK cars are the only ones allowed 197 or 198 BHP ;) When i worked for Honda UK i never did get a good reason why the more powerful stuff isn't sold here!

I know that but the CTR revs very quick and freely hence in 1st it would take about 2 seconds to be in vtec and once in vtec you can keep the CTR in vtec with its close ratio box all the way upto 146MPH hence its in the sweet spot (6000 - 8400rpm), The only way you would hold off a CTR was if it was is say 6th gear at 30MPH then you would have to change down a to 3rd or accelerate slower but the same can be said for the T180. I assure you the T180 will not hold off a correctly driven CTR at all, The same could be said that a 1.6 Auris could hold off a T180 if it was not correctly driven so does this make the 1.6 Auris faster? I think not.

Just like you have to drive the T180 in the right rev range to get max power the CTR is the same and dont let you thinking you need high revs for that as the CTR revs very freely, Like I said if you had a T180 at 30mph in 6th gear the pick up speed would be very very poor and to be honest the CTR would pick up quicker up until the T180 would hit about 55MPH and come on strong were as in 6th gear the CTR would be quick but not crazy until 120MPH.

I once had a 56 plate BMW Diesel driven by a young lad in a baseball cap undertake / cut me up on the M1, I was overtaking at about 65MPH in 6th and he put is foot down to stop me passing, I dont know what gear he was in etc but as he approached a car in front of him he then cut me up, all this time I stayed in 6th gear and was slower and behind. When the road was clear again I knew he would do the same again so this time I slowly went by in 4th and just as I thought he did the same again but this time I nailed the throttle and left him for dead. The guy followed me for about 80 miles but not once did he mess about again once he knew he did not have a chance.

Its like I said to get the most out of any car you have to drive it right and if both cars are correctly driven the T180 has no chance of holding off a CTR

I know that, just saying that up to a certain point, in same gear, the T180 would have the upper hand because of it's torque, with the Type R gaining the advantage when passing that point on it's rpm range.

BTW, i have been trying to find the 0-400 m. time for these cars, or 0/4 mile if you like. But no luck

BTW, i have been trying to find the 0-400 m. time for these cars, or 0/4 mile if you like. But no luck

Correction, i found it for the Civic. 15.9 seconds

But not for the Toyota's

well me and old schoo1 have held off ctrs, albeit for only a certain speed range and period of time

But not for the Toyota's

On Sunday the CTS and CTR's were in the 14's

But not for the Toyota's

On Sunday the CTS and CTR's were in the 14's

Stock?

0/4mile or 44meter ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links