Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracking Up

mrbluesky

I am still going through the process of learning more about the XT-R and thought it would be a good idea to establish what I would do if we had a puncture? They say ignorance is bliss and perhaps I should'nt of bothered because I have discovered that I do not have or can't find the kit required, if I needed to repair the tyre. I looked in the handbook and apparently I should have a tyre compressor which has all the gizmo's for removing the valve, sealant etc.All I can find is a jack and a bag of tools. Either I am cracking up or the car was sold to me minus the kit which I guess is not a very friendly thing to do? Please could someone tell me exactly where this alleged kit should be?? :ffs:

When I looked at one it was under the boot floor. It was all in a box together.

Thanks AM I will have another look I am sure it must be there somewhere !!!

Thanks AM I will have another look I am sure it must be there somewhere !!!

Nope definately had a good look there are empty slots under the boot floor I guess where the box would have been, can't see any ads for them either. I suppose its back to Toyota to see how much a new one will cost, valueable lesson for would be purchasers ??

In mine I have a black plastic soft case with inside a black compressor, a valve removal tool and a white bottle of Toyota gunk, It is the roughly half the width of the second compartment the rest being taken up with the jack. or in other words it is big enough for it not to be hidden.

Guy

In mine I have a black plastic soft case with inside a black compressor, a valve removal tool and a white bottle of Toyota gunk, It is the roughly half the width of the second compartment the rest being taken up with the jack. or in other words it is big enough for it not to be hidden.

Guy

Thanks for that I really should of checked when I bought the car, unfortunately it's the sort of kit that is quite useful.Trouble is it's hard to prove whether it was taken or the previous owner kept it? We have decided to replace it with a "get you home spare wheel" which we believe is a better alternative.

Guy

Thanks for that I really should of checked when I bought the car, unfortunately it's the sort of kit that is quite useful.Trouble is it's hard to prove whether it was taken or the previous owner kept it? We have decided to replace it with a "get you home spare wheel" which we believe is a better alternative.

Good decision fella! :thumbsup: I have the tube of gloop and the compressor but have absolutely no confidence in it so I carry a spare wheel all the time. Don't know how much Toyota charge for the repair kit but I bought a complete ( steel ) spare wheel from the dealer for £160. I bet the kit would cost a fair lump of that. If you get a puncture you will thank the b****r who had the repair kit!

I am still trying to decide whether to go with a full size spare or a space saver. But seeing as the Toyota one is about £400 admittedly complete with tyre, it will be an aftermarket one, which I can only find in alloy no steel or take a chance on the Honda space saver fitting the 17" X-TR. decisions it's too much :huh:

Guy

I am still trying to decide whether to go with a full size spare or a space saver. But seeing as the Toyota one is about £400 admittedly complete with tyre, it will be an aftermarket one, which I can only find in alloy no steel or take a chance on the Honda space saver fitting the 17" X-TR. decisions it's too much :huh:

Guy

Anchorman, our moderator, bought a full size after market alloy and tyre that were a pretty good impression of the Toyota wheel. There is a thread somewhere on here about the whole spare wheel issue in which he gives costs and supplier. From memory about £180 complete.

The whole think got pretty emotive on here about 12 months ago when Toyota introduced the RAV without a spare wheel. Land Rover still supplied one with the Freeloader and I guess that is one of the influences on Toyota that caused them to change their mind. Personally, I still think that they look better with a door mounted spare BUT, it does cause complications with the rear bumper and door design and towing. The Freeloader has it under the boot floor. Someone else has a Honka spacesaver that they use.

If you get chance, have a look at the after market TPMS thread as well.

Guy

Anchorman, our moderator, bought a full size after market alloy and tyre that were a pretty good impression of the Toyota wheel. There is a thread somewhere on here about the whole spare wheel issue in which he gives costs and supplier. From memory about £180 complete.

The whole think got pretty emotive on here about 12 months ago when Toyota introduced the RAV without a spare wheel. Land Rover still supplied one with the Freeloader and I guess that is one of the influences on Toyota that caused them to change their mind. Personally, I still think that they look better with a door mounted spare BUT, it does cause complications with the rear bumper and door design and towing. The Freeloader has it under the boot floor. Someone else has a Honka spacesaver that they use.

It wasn't me Chris but you are right - somebody did!

I think it might have been Dave M. He definitely bought a wheel and tyre but I can't remember if his was aftermarket or genuine - I'm sure he'll comment soon

Guy

It wasn't me Chris but you are right - somebody did!

I think it might have been Dave M. He definitely bought a wheel and tyre but I can't remember if his was aftermarket or genuine - I'm sure he'll comment soon

Well - you know me by now - I can cause confusion anywhere! Sorry fellas :(

I think I am right in saying that most new cars now, tend to have the "skinny spare wheel" option, or get you back home/garage but dont drive too fast. I thought it would be an idea to list the three options, please feel free to agree/ disagree or make any contributions. My initial preference has always been towards having a spare of some kind. On paper though if you put safety above costs, which has always been my main concern the Run Flat has a lot going for it?? I wont be going down that route though as the odds for getting a puncture don't justify the expenditure ;)

Skinny Spare

The advantages of this are:

(a) Spare is light, cheap, has a small footptint

(B) Who ever drives the vehicle knows that a tyre has been damaged and it needs replacing/repairing

© You can rotate the tyres your self to get even tread wear(skinny tyre eventually going back in boot)

(d) The replacement tyre is more dependable(if maintained correctly)

The Disadvantages

(a) Not easy for some people to change jack, weight of tyre etc

(B) Messy work

© Spare takes up some valueable storage space

(d) Takes more time to change(could be dangerous in certain situations)

The Gunk Method

(a) No lifting, jacking

(B) More room for storage

© Faster time to repair

The Disadvantages:

(a) Fills tyre with messy gunk

(B) Less dependable (cannot trust the repair to hold)

© Still Messy

Run Flat

(a) No lifting, jacking

(B) More room for storage

© No repair time

(d) Safer less dangerous

(e) Dependable

(f) No Mess

The Disadvantages:

(a) Expensive option( replacement tyre needed each puncture)

(B) Has some risk attached (driver not realising tyres are running flat)