Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Rusty New 09 Aygo

RYX

I collected my new car last Monday (2nd). I thought the brakes were a bit noisy so had a look the next day.

These are the pics of my day old car.

post-6499-1236789131_thumb.jpg

post-6499-1236789182_thumb.jpg

post-6499-1236789257_thumb.jpg

And here is my dealer's response that I received today ...

"I have just received notification from Toyota GB warranty department

reference claim no xxxxxxx, whereby the claim submitted for consideration of

the reported rusty components has been rejected due to the parts being "only

covered in cosmetic rust."

On inspection of further Toyota Aygo's on site I can confirm that these

vehicles also have the same finish as you have reported. Although the

components appear to have an inferior finish we are assured this would have

no detrimental effect on the mechanical working of the component."

Personally I think it's shocking but have to agree with their comments.

Or more like they are taking old parts and making new cars with it.

I collected my new car last Monday (2nd). I thought the brakes were a bit noisy so had a look the next day.

I wouldn't be worried about this for me, but I would be worried if I needed to sell the car in a fwe years. The next person may wonder if the car has been wrecked, in a flood zone, or has had mechanical problems requiring 2nd hand parts, etc.

Will a technical controle (necessary in UK?) have a problem with this?

There's more in other places?

Well my car that is now 2 and a bit years old isn't that rusty. Should have told them if u wanted a rusty car you should have went to a flood plain and picked up a car :D

Actually i can see no problems on the security side.....Those parts are made of steel & albeit rust is visible, it will never do any harm given the thickness & solidness of it. On the esthetics, yes looks rather irritating.....u r absolutely right!!

Actually i can see no problems on the security side.....Those parts are made of steel & albeit rust is visible, it will never do any harm given the thickness & solidness of it. On the esthetics, yes looks rather irritating.....u r absolutely right!!

Agreed, not nice though :(

Another thought, don't they have a 14 day reject the car policy if not happy ?

If so use it or at least threaten to use it. The vehicle is not of a standard you'd expect for a 10 day old car.

I'll be checking mine having seen these pictures. I've got some great products to sort this kind of thing out

1) Bilt Hamber De-Ox Gel

2) Bilt Hamber Exectrox Primer

3) Any old black paint :P

But Hammerite would proably do the job nicely! B)

You really shouldn't be having to do this on such a young car. I guess the parts for the newer cars were made some time ago. :(

A thin layer of black paint would have done, lazy Toyota! BAD Toyota!!!

This car appears to have been built quite a while before registration. If you look under the bonnet there will be quality control stickers with dates and times on. Our front discs aren't as bad as that after 2 years of use.

I know ours was built over the night of 30/11/2006 and 1/12 2006. It was delivered at the end of December 2006.

I'm afraid i would always be slightly worried if i had bought a new car in that condition always wondering in the back of my mind has it been stood in a very lot deep water ect,

Not nice to see on a new car so much rust, sorry can't advise you what to do other than keep on to your dealership, if it was my motor thats what i would be doing i guess u could always ask the RAC or AA to look at it, see what they have to say ?

I noticed a teeny bit of rust under the bonnet when i was replacing washer fluid, the cars only about 4 month old, is it anything to be worried about? I cant tell you what the rust is on because i dont really have a clue lol

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

Hi RYX...I have seen your pictures and there really isn't a problem. I am a retired motor engineer and MoT tester and can assure you that your car is perfectly normal. The components shown have the usual patina of surface rust just as you might find on the underside of any vehicle. These components are seldom painted and, as a result, will cause no subsequent problems. The brake discs are self cleaning with use and a slight rubbing sound at the start of a journey after being parked up for a while is normal, the sound disappearing after several brake applications. Brake discs will develop surface rust after only a few hours in damp conditions. So stop worrying and enjoy your Aygo. I hope this information will be helpful to you and other forum members. Kind regards, Big-Kev.

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

I have to say I'm in no way worried about this. It's just frustrating buying a new car that really shouldn't be like this. If I'd have noticed it the day I collected it I certainly wouldn't have driven it away.

Intrestingly enough, my dealer sent a follow up email :-

"I have just received a phone call from Toyota customer relations who have

now advised me to arrange an appointment and organise repainting of the

corroded items.

Customer relations are prepared to accept the costs incurred."

I don't really see how they can paint them without making a mess of things (overspray etc) so I'm inclined to leave it. As others have said, it's only cosmetic. At least now I have the option so I'll have a think.

I don't really see how they can paint them without making a mess of things (overspray etc) so I'm inclined to leave it. As others have said, it's only cosmetic. At least now I have the option so I'll have a think.

I'd take them up on it to be honest : Get it all painted up and then you have piece of mind. :)

Make them agree to remove the corrosion first and use a rust preventative primer (with zinc in it).

I would get them painted if they will do it, they will probably brush paint it instead of spray(more accurate and you'll get a thicker layer of paint).

Somebody sent a report to the moderators on this (I think it was a new member who thought he was reporting directly to TGB) which has drawn my attention to it.

I worked in the Motor Industry for many years and dealt with most of the European manufacturers and a few outside of Europe.

I agree that surface rust on these heavy metal components won't pose an immediate risk but each manufacturer including Toyota does have strict requirements for the way that suppliers finish parts. No doubt those castings are bought in but I am absolutely certain that there will be a paint specification on the drawing. Now! You have to understand that it won't call for zinc plating or anything fancy but they will probably call for a coat of suitable black paint in an instruction that reads "ALL NON MACHINED SURFACES TO BE PAINTED BLACK" and knowing Toyota it will probably specify the exact paint type.

I tend to lurk on the RAV section but I believe the Aygo is a joint venture in Czech Republic with PSA Group and if I can say this without offending anyone there lies the problem. I don't believe the supplier would have got away with shipping parts that were "not to drawing" let alone end up on production vehicles in the "mainline" manufacturing countries like Germany, UK and not to mention Japan who are the fussiest manufacturers in the world (look under a new Avensis or RAV and see if there are any unpainted parts). We used to make friction materials in the C.R. and they were a law unto themselves. Those people that thing they are driving a VW/Audi when they have a Skoda are sadly misinformed. In our factory they could "talk the talk but not walk the walk" and the stuff that we used to ship back from around the world was astonishing. Were it not for the fact that the manufacturing cost were so low due to low labour costs they would have broke the company.

The reason I am telling you all this is because you should dig in with Toyota and insist they do something. It is true that painting afterwards is only cosmetic but the more they have to spend in warranty work the quicker they will kick somebody's @ss and get them to put it right. Apart from the fact that if you did come to sell your vehicle after a short time it might well put a buyer off - it doesn't look nice for you!

My view is that you should take your car back if it is rusty and raise hell. You paid more for your Aygo than you would for an equivalent PSA car from the same factory and it just isn't good enough. If anyone tells you the "only cosmetic" line tell them you are only suing them under the "merchantable quality" line and want it sorting or a full refund.

Sorry to butt in to your forum!!

anchorman, not butting in at all! Appreciate your comments.

Well I was furious about this initally, especially as I noticed it on day 2 of ownership.

The trouble is now, I've almost accepted that it "is only cosmetic" (which I personally believe it is too) and am happy for them to clean and paint offending rusty parts.

If however I had the fortune of reading your comments a couple of weeks ago I may well have taken a different tack.

I'm going to ensure they leave it on the ramp for me to inspect on collection and hope that will be the end of it.

Cheers ....

Just thought I would share my rusty bits aswell :lol:

Only cosmetic I know but looks awful when I go to fill up :unsure: and has got progessively worse in past week or so.

DSC_0242.jpg

Now IMHo rust at the filler neck is NOT only cosmetic: this ring is used to seal the cap, so if it's

rusty the seal might not be good enough... If you car still is under warranty I'd take it to the dealer...

Wow, I've never seen filler neck rust before. Sometimes a dealer can be so obstinant that I'd rather sort the problem myself in my own time and have peace of mind that the painting job was done properly. These areas are on my to do list this summer;

-Rear drums (maybe in red to match the front calipers)

-King pins for the front hubs

-Drive shafts

As a temporary measure I brushed a light coat of grease on these parts.

In fact, some toyota's (i think it was the corolla) that had instructions to be delivered with clear plastic covers over the wheels to prevent rusty brake discs prior to delivery. The notes said to leave the plastic wheel covers on as long as possible, so rusty discs, at least, is not unique to these A segment cars.

If you want to go into detail- zinc is used as part of an alloy when brake discs are forged. The zinc improves corrosion resistance of the disc, but reduces braking performance. The rust on the discs is usually very light, so I think they made the right balance

Just thought I would share my rusty bits aswell :lol:

Only cosmetic I know but looks awful when I go to fill up :unsure: and has got progessively worse in past week or so.

DSC_0242.jpg

I think the rust on your Aygo's filler neck Sarah is a result of you putting corrosive rocket fuel in your tank so that you can beat those "Corolla Boys" down the strip at Santa Pod ;) :lol:

SSSSSHhhhh that rocket fuel was supposed to be our secret Steve!!!

Hmm well I might be due a visit to MR T anyways, will mention it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links