Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying Brake Pad Noise

rickjhns

Hi,

I recently had my fromt brake discs and pads replaced by Mr Clutch. Soon after I began to hear a rattling noise when driving at low speed over rough roads. This was diagnosed by a Toyota garage as the non-Toyota brake pads moving slightly within the calipers. I was informed the solution was to fit sticky plastic linings (a type of shim available from Toyota at £10) to the back of the brake pads.

I took the car back to Mr Clutch who lubricated the calipers, opened up the spring loaded shims and reapplied copper grease to the back of the pads. The noise disappeared, however, I think it is reappearing. Has anyone had similar experience with non genuine brake pads?

Hi,

I recently had my fromt brake discs and pads replaced by Mr Clutch. Soon after I began to hear a rattling noise when driving at low speed over rough roads. This was diagnosed by a Toyota garage as the non-Toyota brake pads moving slightly within the calipers. I was informed the solution was to fit sticky plastic linings (a type of shim available from Toyota at £10) to the back of the brake pads.

I took the car back to Mr Clutch who lubricated the calipers, opened up the spring loaded shims and reapplied copper grease to the back of the pads. The noise disappeared, however, I think it is reappearing. Has anyone had similar experience with non genuine brake pads?

hello mate

look - i do not like to teach you but i ve changed all four pads at 75k (kms) and they serve me during 30k with minor wear down.

my advice to you to instale the originals and drive without extra braking. you'll win more if your original pads will serve you more milage.

cheers/Igor

Hi,

I had my pads and Disks changed around 2 months ago, and after the first week, they started screeching like mad. I went back to the place i bought them from and was told he'd had no complaints about them before ( how true this is, im not sure). I have to say though that although they are copys, they are made in japan, so I think they should be ok, theink they were NIPPON or something like that, but the screeching is so annoying, especially at low speeds, and yes Rick, I do get the rattle over rough ground too. Do you have any idea of the part no for these Plastic Linings? Many Thanks

I always fit EBC to everything i own with no adverse effect. The only thing i always get that was not there before is far better brakes. :D

I always fit EBC to everything i own with no adverse effect. The only thing i always get that was not there before is far better brakes. :D

As above says, fit EBC, Lockheed or maybe Mintex. Don't fit mickey mouse non descript makes from Halfords and the likes, go to a motor factors that supplies the trade not DIY.

Or of course, the genuine article from Mr T.

:D

Hi, sounds like the anti rattle springs were not fitted or not tensioned correctly ,not sure on your car if they are part of the pad or the caliper as they can be fitted to either, sometimes if they are fitted to the pad they are hard to see esp if the pad is covered in dust and are thrown out with the old pad, this causes the fault you explain, also badly made pads can do the same,have seen some aftermarket pads that have been made to short and even with the anti rattle springs fitted they made a noise,need to have a closer look maybe order a new anti rattle kit from toyota.

Take them back to were you got them and tell them. Why pay all that money and they not be right? Sometimes when you fit non gen parts they are of a slightly differnt shape and can cause the rattle. As above, ensure they have refitted the shims correctly. If it wasnt rattling before then the repairer should be sorting it out for you at no extra charge!

Could try pagid 660 brake pads as they are Bosch branded which in turn are toyota branded. i have just replaced all mine and the brake fluid, got mintex ones from motor factors and had them on for 200 miles now and no problem whatsoever. (by the way all that stuff only cost me £61 and a few hours of my time)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links