Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen7 Front Brakes Noise

CALSHOT

Hello.....I've got a Celica Gen7.... when driving with the windows up i can't hear the brakes. If i'm driving say in a 30 zone with the windows down I can hear a noise coming from the brakes. It's not loud and i can really only hear it when the noise bounces back when driving past a wall or another car. It sounds like discs slicing through the pads as the wheels are rolling (noise goes away when i apply the brakes).

The brake set up is clean so i'm wondering if this is the norm. 2 Gen 7's where i work and they have the same noise.

Any ideas?

thanks.

hey! is it a rough sort of scraping noise? Coming from the front or rear?

My gen7, not so long ago, was making that sort of noise from the rear brakes and i think it may have been the brake shoes (handbrake) It also stopped if i applied the brakes. The last couple of weeks it has stopped thoe. Maybe the shoes have wore down that bit to allow it to stop rubbing im not too sure. Just like many things with it that have fixed themselves - good old japanese black magic!

hey! is it a rough sort of scraping noise? Coming from the front or rear?

My gen7, not so long ago, was making that sort of noise from the rear brakes and i think it may have been the brake shoes (handbrake) It also stopped if i applied the brakes. The last couple of weeks it has stopped thoe. Maybe the shoes have wore down that bit to allow it to stop rubbing im not too sure. Just like many things with it that have fixed themselves - good old japanese black magic!

... got it sorted at last by taking it down to the garage!... the rough/scraping noise when rolling was coming from the front pads as they'd worn down to the indicator ... but having left it too long have also scored into the dics... so new pads and discs on the front ...

Also.. on inspecting the back brakes, they too were making a noise but this was down to rust. On the facing side of the discs it looked all ok with hardly a mark but on the other side the disc was flaking with rust! so new pads and discs on the back aswell.

Expensive to replace all four brakes but it looks so much better now! Especially now that the rear hub is all shiny and polished looking.