Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tns 510 - Sat Nav Option

Purnah

Has anyone else gone for the TNS510 option on the IQ? I've been having a few problems with it and wanted to check with others how they are getting on. Toyota tell me it is made by Panasonic specifically for them, and the IQ is the first car to be fitted with it. They plan to add it to 5 cars in their range.

It is expensive (c. £950), but is remarkably fully featured - with colour touchscreen display, traffic avoidance, integrated bluetooth handsfree, and options to play music files from CD, SD card or USB stick. The maps are on the SD card so if you want to play music off SD, you have to take out the maps first. The sat nav has nice integrated features so that it goes into night-mode when the lights come on. I've found very little (i.e. none) information about it on the web and my dealer didn't know anything about it, and doesn't have any cars with it fitted.

The TNS510 also has an AUX in socket. This means the one down by the gearstick (which is in fact a better position than top of the dash) is blanked out.

There's also support for iPod integration, but you have to buy the integration kit for this to work. The integration kit adds an extra socket and a special cable to plug into your iPod. You can then pretty much fully control and charge your iPod via the TNS510 - so the manual says. I don't have this option (or an iPod) yet, so will report back when that's sorted. And an option to add DAB radio (again pretty expensive - I think it was another £300).

The problem with the system which is mostly occupying me at the moment is that it does not read the USB sticks correctly. No matter which stick I've plugged in, the TNS510 only reads about 20% of it - randomly selected and ordered apparently. You don't have an option to search or reorder files in the display, which could make it difficult to find things if you wanted to select something particular.

I've reported this issue to Toyota Customer Relations. They haven't yet got back to me with any response. I'll let you know if I hear something. It would be useful to know if others are having the same experience as me, or if the USB socket works correctly.

Just want to comment in defence of the original Toyota navigation system, which I have in my IQ, and it's definitely worth it! First of all, it is Micro-SD card based, so no more hassling with discs, it works a treat, can even enter destination by telephone number. It also comes with fully built-in telephone capabilities (the microphone is neatly added around the steering wheel, almost not visible. Sound quality is great. It can play mp3 files straight from the USB stick you can plug into the sat.nav directly. And of course, you can operate radio/CD/MP3/nav all with touch-screen, so no fiddling around with the little buttons on the steering wheel to programme stations. Best of all, it looks great in the car!

Has anyone else gone for the TNS510 option on the IQ? I've been having a few problems with it and wanted to check with others how they are getting on. Toyota tell me it is made by Panasonic specifically for them, and the IQ is the first car to be fitted with it. They plan to add it to 5 cars in their range.

It is expensive (c. £950), but is remarkably fully featured - with colour touchscreen display, traffic avoidance, integrated bluetooth handsfree, and options to play music files from CD, SD card or USB stick. The maps are on the SD card so if you want to play music off SD, you have to take out the maps first. The sat nav has nice integrated features so that it goes into night-mode when the lights come on. I've found very little (i.e. none) information about it on the web and my dealer didn't know anything about it, and doesn't have any cars with it fitted.

The TNS510 also has an AUX in socket. This means the one down by the gearstick (which is in fact a better position than top of the dash) is blanked out.

There's also support for iPod integration, but you have to buy the integration kit for this to work. The integration kit adds an extra socket and a special cable to plug into your iPod. You can then pretty much fully control and charge your iPod via the TNS510 - so the manual says. I don't have this option (or an iPod) yet, so will report back when that's sorted. And an option to add DAB radio (again pretty expensive - I think it was another £300).

The problem with the system which is mostly occupying me at the moment is that it does not read the USB sticks correctly. No matter which stick I've plugged in, the TNS510 only reads about 20% of it - randomly selected and ordered apparently. You don't have an option to search or reorder files in the display, which could make it difficult to find things if you wanted to select something particular.

I've reported this issue to Toyota Customer Relations. They haven't yet got back to me with any response. I'll let you know if I hear something. It would be useful to know if others are having the same experience as me, or if the USB socket works correctly.

Purnah,

I got the system, and it works wonderfully! No problem at all with the USB.

Try http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=2 and here you can find the link to download the actual TNS510 manual!!

I recall that one industry guy told me a few weeks ago that if you use USB sticks with more then 2-3GB it might cause problems, so maybe this is the issue. Otherwise I suggest you try 'blanking' the USB device, and create separate folders for each album, within them the songs. I can easily choose folders & songs on the touch-screen menu, no problem.

Read the manual, and see.

When I ordered the car in October, no-one could tell me anything, but i went for it anyway, thinking it looks just great in the IQ dashboard, and no doubt will help the residual value of this small premium car. Unfortunately no-one told me about DAB tuner, which I would have bought otherwise (I got it in my Audi, it's brilliant).

Let us know how you get on.

Purnah,

Try http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=2 and here you can find the link to download the actual TNS510 manual!!

I recall that one industry guy told me a few weeks ago that if you use USB sticks with more then 2-3GB it might cause problems, so maybe this is the issue. Otherwise I suggest you try 'blanking' the USB device, and create separate folders for each album, within them the songs. I can easily choose folders & songs on the touch-screen menu, no problem.

Read the manual, and see.

When I ordered the car in October, no-one could tell me anything, but i went for it anyway, thinking it looks just great in the IQ dashboard, and no doubt will help the residual value of this small premium car. Unfortunately no-one told me about DAB tuner, which I would have bought otherwise (I got it in my Audi, it's brilliant).

Let us know how you get on.

i am really pleased with the unit but am having issues with disappearing folders on a 4gb flash drive. what size is working okay for you tdv?

cheers, nedpears.

I am fine so far with anything up to 2GB.

Thanks - I will try experimenting with a 2GB drive.

It can play mp3 files straight from the USB stick you can plug into the sat.nav directly.

Can you give a bit more detail on how you're getting on with this feature? I have not found it to work correctly and have read the manual in detail, specifically trying out exactly the USB data sticks which Toyota claim work correctly with the USB socket.

There are very limited controls with the USB playback. No pause or stop and the folders appear to be randomly ordered making it difficult to find the one you want.

The sat nav is also able to play WMA files provided they don't have DRM attached.

Thanks for the link, but when I picked up the car, I got a full printed manual for TNS 510 and spent the first few days with the car reading it. The manual describes how the USB/SD/CD with MP3 features work and I followed the instructions. It also lists a number of USB sticks which it says it has tested with the TNS 510 and can confirm work. The list in the manual names sticks varying in size from 256MB to 16GB, so Toyota themselves do not state that problems are related to stick size. There are limitations on the number of files and folders the TNS will read (I think 250 and 999 respectively), so you'd never be able to fill a 16GB stick with files and expect the TNS to play them all.

My experience is that the USB socket does not work very well for playing music files. I have tried 6 different USB devices with sizes varying from 1GB, 4GB, 8GB. None has worked correctly. In every case, the TNS 510 reads a proportion of the stick, but never all of it. It is very difficult to work out exactly which tracks it is choosing to list, but my estimate is that it picks 25% randomly selected from the stick.

I've pointed out this behaviour to Toyota customer relations and their response from their technical people was that they wanted me to send them my datastick with my music on it so they could investigate further. They were not willing to take the case any further without it, and also were not willing or able to get their own datastick to check out whether it is a common problem or one which only I am getting.

This forum is useful in trying to work out whether there is a common pattern to the problems reported. So please keep posting datasticks you've tried out and whether they work or not.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Must say that for me it has been fine, but then I do not have huge folder listings on my sticks. If i have some time, i might check it out further during the weekend.

Going off on a slight tangent here but still to do with the nav unit - is there anyway to update the POIs to include a speed camera database?

Cheers!

I have found this site of Toyota US: Navigation Demo

It's about a toyota navigation system almost exactly the same as the one for the Iq.

As far as I know the system in the Iq does not have voice recognition an can be operated while driving.

Greetz Peter

Has anyone installed the rear view camera? How much does it cost?

I been looking at it... but must be expensive, also it looks silly, as the camera is mounted on boot-lid, a fairly bulky unit too.

check out the toyota tec docs i posted on the site. (it shows the camera)

Has anyone installed the rear view camera? How much does it cost?

I didn't get it installed but seriously considered it when configuring the car. I thought it would be cool to see on the Sat Nav screen a view of what's happening behind the car. My dealer showed me how it is fitted though, and described it as a 'pimple on your bum'. The camera is fitted in the middle of the boot hatch. I expected it to be out of sight somewhere around the window.

It is an option which is only available if you have gone for the Sat Nav.

Regards reversing help, the rear parking sensors are likely to be more useful.

Kinda wish i had gone for the Sat Nav now but just couldnt justify spending almost another grand for it...

I guess if I come into some money, I could always get it installed lol

iPod integration

The Sat Nav option also provides iPod compatibility, but only works if you also have the integration kit installed (around another £150). This provides a socket down by the gear stick, and a special cable which you use to connect your iPod to the socket. I had this put in last week, and today tried out a 4th Gen iPod Nano. It worked as well as expected, and provides fully integrated use of the iPod through the Sat Nav touch screen. This includes browsing by artist, album, song, playlist and displaying full details for the playing track. You can pretty much put the iPod in the clip-on briefcase and forget about it.

As with any other iPod dock, it is charged as it is used, so there's no risk of the Battery going flat.

It is probably the neatest, tidiest, most featureful way of playing music in your IQ via the Sat Nav.

(I also tried out stereo bluetooth streaming from my phone. It worked and was very impressive, but not much use to the driver who obviously cannot fiddle with selections while driving. The phone will also run out of Battery fairly quickly. But this is a neat feature if one of your passengers even one sitting in the back would like to remotely and wirelessly control the music in the car.)

iPod integration

The Sat Nav option also provides iPod compatibility, but only works if you also have the integration kit installed (around another £150). This provides a socket down by the gear stick, and a special cable which you use to connect your iPod to the socket. I had this put in last week, and today tried out a 4th Gen iPod Nano. It worked as well as expected, and provides fully integrated use of the iPod through the Sat Nav touch screen. This includes browsing by artist, album, song, playlist and displaying full details for the playing track. You can pretty much put the iPod in the clip-on briefcase and forget about it.

As with any other iPod dock, it is charged as it is used, so there's no risk of the battery going flat.

It is probably the neatest, tidiest, most featureful way of playing music in your IQ via the Sat Nav.

(I also tried out stereo bluetooth streaming from my phone. It worked and was very impressive, but not much use to the driver who obviously cannot fiddle with selections while driving. The phone will also run out of battery fairly quickly. But this is a neat feature if one of your passengers even one sitting in the back would like to remotely and wirelessly control the music in the car.)

Cheers for the info Purnah - am having this fitted next week since I am still having issues seeing all folders / tracks that I load onto USB drives - even with a smaller 2GB drive I can only see 17 / 18 randonly selected folders when I have many more loaded.

The iPod integration was one of the reasons I wnet for the sat nav in the first place so will be glad when this is fully up and running :walkman:

I am still having issues seeing all folders / tracks that I load onto USB drives - even with a smaller 2GB drive I can only see 17 / 18 randonly selected folders when I have many more loaded.

I've had exactly the same experience with USB sticks in the TNS 510. It is good to know that others have had the same problem. Toyota were not willing to take forward any investigation into the problem I reported to them.

Now I've got iPod integration in place, I won't bother with the USB. It is a great idea, but hasn't been implemented properly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I am new here and had the same Sat Nav queries & experiences, most of which were answered by Purnah's posting.

Just wanted to share my experiences :)

When I bought my IQ a week ago I was told that my iPod would be fully functional with the Sat Nav (that it would show tracks and playlists on the SatNav screen without needing any other *integration*). Thankfully Toyota admitted they wrongly sold me the car under that pretext and have apologised (something we don't expect these days!) and are fitting the *integration* for free next week. If you're wondering where it will come out, the blank buttons near the cig-lighter are where you will plug in your iPod, apparently. Of course you can use your iPod with the AUX cable straight away, but you won't see your playlists etc on the screen...

As others have written, my experience of USB is that is doesn't work. I've preferred using my AUX cable until the iPod is integrated.

The extra it costs for the SAT NAV is completely worth it. It's easy to use, does so much more than an ordinary SatNav (even has a calandar), looks very slick and easy to flip through. When you've integrated your Ipod, you will be able to see all the tracks and shuffle on your SatNav screen. If you're changing the audio settings, a picture comes up to show you how you're balancing your Speakers ! It's all very cool and easy to use :)

I didn't go for the speaker upgrade, the Speakers are pretty amazing as they are... although on some dance tracks, I wonder if it would benefit from the subwoofer... looking forward to reading more from others regarding the Speakers...

Purnah's comments helped Toyota too, as I had to quote the posting to them to explain how iPod integration works ! Apparently, in the parts department, they have no instructions on how to fit the iPod - these instructions come with the parts when they order it... how bizzare !

Apart from the iPod hiccup, the buying experience from Toyota Croydon was brilliant, I love my IQ, it's a manual IQ2'd, pearlised white and I am in LOVE !

Seagreentangerine

(former owner of a Chelsea Tractor!)

Hi Guys

I am also in love with my iQ2 Auto/white/etc etc I also have the sat nav, which claims to be hands free when using the telephone with bluetooth, whilst it answers automatically and therefore hands free if you want to make a call you have no control on the steering wheel or no voice dialling option, therefore you need to push the tel button and touch the screen or am I missing something??? I expected the steering wheel control to operate the phone?

Please advise

arshavin

Hi IQ Lovers !

Good news, the iPOD has been integrated into my car and I have to say I am very impressed by the upgrade in the sound (even though I felt the sound was pretty good before...) The sound is crystal clear and I am a happy bunny.

:thumbsup:

Hello,

I have my new Toyota with TNS510 now since a week. Regarding the USB issue:

I've tested about 6 different USB sticks. And they all work :thumbsup: .

However without expection the TNS510 reads only 2 GB from the USB stick, whether it is 2GB or 16GB stick or any other size. :angry:

So it's not so much a USB stick problem, but far more a TNS510 "problem".

However, when you store not more than 2GB on the stick, it will work fine. Remember that 2GB is still about 20 CD's full of music in MP3 format (appr. 256Kb bitstream average). Use a folder per CD, they will show up as expected in alfabetic order on the TNS510.

So, though not optimal, when you know the limitations it is still a great feature.

I'm not satisfied with the bluetooth phone option. The number of supported phones is very limited and are mostly of an ancient era. Even my business phone (a simple Nokia 6230i) will not fully co-operate with the TNS510, i.e. the phonebook can not be uploaded from the phone to the TNS510.

Hopefully Toyota (or better AISIN, since that's the manufacturer) can work on both aspects and provide an update.

Regards

Hi IQ Lovers ;)

If anyone is in any doubt about their bluetooth compatibility with their IQ, check out Duncerduncs' posting under IQ Mobile Phone compatibility in the IQ forum.

The list is a great guide for new phones too, as in which brand to choose (you will notice that Sony Ericsson are 100% compatible on all areas). Most phones will AUTOCONNECT (that's the good news). At the very worst, you'll have to manually input your numbers into your contact list on the Sat Nav.

In general, mobile phone compatibility with most car manufacturers is pretty dire, maybe this will change very soon, given the current temperature of the buying market...

Using Duncer's list as a guide, I bought an ultra slim new 60 quid Sony Ericsson W350i - and that does everything, including downloading all my contact lists (sadly it can't clean my house yet, but you know....). My hubby's Blackberry Pearl also works in the same way. Another forum member has said their iPhone works really well too.

Keep on loving your IQ :wub:

p.s. I haven't looked into this, but wonder if the USB can give the IQ number lists, I need to RTFM... but the possibilities !

....p.s.

If all else fails and buying a new phone is out of the question, try this:

* borrow a friend's compatible mobile phone and get them to save their contacts to their SIM first (so they don't lose their contacts!)

* then, save your contact list in your current phone onto your SIM card

* put your SIM card into their phone

* link their phone to your SatNav & start that easy download...

* start feeling slightly better about life and fall back in love