Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tns 510 - Sat Nav Option

Purnah

High Tent

Firstly the upto date map card will set you back £136

Secondly, i know a lot about the Tns 510 and 350. I have fitted to mine a camera in the rear number plate that is operated by selecting reverse and also by a switch on the dash whilst moving. Also have a video switch to select either camera or video input from my iPhone or DVD player. I have also designed a Heads Up Display into the top front of the Tns 510's top cover so the speed and Rev's are displayed through the windscreen and float in mid air. Part of the installation of your own camera (not using the Toyota one) is that it is 12v and not 6v which is what the Toyota one is. It depends how good you are with electronics. Its easy for me as i am an electronics/ Broadcast engineer. I design and build Radio Transmitters etc

David

wow! Very interesting.. :)

Personally I'm very confident with solder iron etc. so I'm not scared if there is any need to modify something, at least my target now is to be able to connect the backup camera.

The TNS510 has a strange flat 2+3+11 16pin connector is it this one I need to connect the camera to?

So far I was trying to connect it to the more traditional 20pin connector on the last four pins on the right (looking the radio's back) but not sure about how and which pin.. so far, if considering this picture:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzAD91SXYivI81RQBQEQ1oUqIBb3rZVtRcagWvF9llZSmWukRw

I tried I think all combinations on those four wires to my RCA connector of the camera and no immage. I tried the camera on my TV to make sure it works, and yes.. so I'm mumbling.. ;)

I also tried to measure voltages and I think the B cable has 6Volts, the others nothing..

But if you have the schematics of the work you did I could probalby try to replicate it as well since it seems very nice!

tent

Hi Tent

Yes there are a group of 4 wires coming from the Tns. 2x black, 1 x red, and 1 x White. The white wire can be discarded as its only used on the original camera and becomes active with 6v when reverse is selected. A thing to remember is, when you select reverse the Tns switches to A/V mode briefly. In that short time it puts out the 6v on the white wire and waits to see video on the Red wire. The screen is blank for that time ( 1 sec ) If no video is seen on the Red wire it reverts back to map screen. So you need to put your camera on the Red wire ( inner signal ) and one of the black wires ( screen) that are grouped with it. You have to power your camera up independently and it has to be powered up at the time of selecting reverse. Personally i found timing issues trying to power the camera from the reverse bulb as there was a delay and the camera missed the 1sec time slot the Tns was looking for, so i have wired mine on a Acc feed typically from the the back of the cigar lighter socket. You may think that means the camera is on all the time the car ignition is on but it guarantee's the required time slot the Tns needs to work. It vwill not shorten the life of the camera, mine has been in operation for 3 1/2 yrs. another possible way would be to use the white wire to power your camera but to first feed it into a DC to DC converter making the 6v to 12v. But you would need to know the camera's current consumption and choose the appropriate converter but it could introduce patterning on the video without a lot of filtering

David

Hello David,

well thats strange because I was not able to let this work even testing it out by powering the camera constantly from the cigar plug and using those red and black wires (I assume those which are marked in the picture abowe as B and R, right? basically if pin 1 is top left I could say the black wire to ground/shield of RCA would be pin 9 and the red wire to video signal of RCA would be pin 10, did I assume all this correctly?). I did not get any, not even short blink, of the backup screen here.. I even tried to check the engineering menu to double check for instance reverse wire correctly informs the tns about it and indeed I get that information.. there is also a menu voice camera test or the like but it is greyed out! I suppose there is something that needs to tell the tns first that there IS actually a camera connected?

Hi Tent

Without a camera connected, if you select reverse, you should see the screen blank for a second or so then back to map. If this is not occuring then you need to check there is a small grey plug in the bottom left of the rear the Tns. It has 3 wires green, red/white and purple. One of these wires goes to the gear select area to tell the Tns is in reverse

David

Hi Tent

On the grey plug, the green wire should have 12v on it when reverse is selected.. this is the voltage that tells the Tns to go into A/V mode and starts the short timer NOTE if you don't send video to the red wire in that time, the 12v will still remain whilst in reverse but the timer will time out and you will have to re-select reverse again to start the timer looking for the video

P.S you are on the right wires as long as you can see them followed back to the Tns

David

Hi David,

still no success here.. :(

But I have a couple of doubts: first of all so as you describe it everybody, even without camera, would then see a rapid screen blank when selecting reverse.. and I definitely have never seen this also in other toyotas with navi but no camera.. could somebody else also confirm? I mean I would rather suppose that the switch to AV is done ONLY if the TNS also senses something on those two pins.. only the reverse seems to me strange.. also other doubt is because I think the reverse sensor comes allright to the TNS because also in the secret menu when I enter the sensor tests I can clearly see hanbrake, reverse or lights on and off triggered by respective actions.. so should not be a problem in the reverse sensor imho.. but you confirm the two wires are the right one.. mumble.. I will double check again that both this two wires are actually really touching correctly the pins from the plug since I connected them with bare wire but again it sounds rather misterious then I can feel 6V on the B pin isn't it?

Tent

Hi Tent

If you can see 12v on the green wire of the grey connector on the back of the Tns and 6v on the white wire of the group of 4 wires red, white , black and black/ white with the car in reverse then it has to work. Can you try another video source like a portable DVD player or an earlier ver iPhone etc. basically if your seeing 6v on the white wire then the Tns is in A/V mode waiting for video. Where do you live Tent? Dont say in a tent lol

David

Hi Tent

I cut the 4wires from the plug as i didnt want to mess about trying to put pins in the plug so cit them bare ends. Taped back the white and black/white and used just the red and black pair

David

• Like 1

So basically you cut the wires directly from the microphone extension cabling? here-> http://epinio.de/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5798&g2_serialNumber=1

Sounds a good Idea, still not having it, but you convinced me there is some problem in the pin contacts.. will check now and let you know.. brb.. ;)

tent

Hi Tent

yes that is the microphone link adaptor here is a pic of mine

post-109788-0-33065700-1400361055_thumb.

post-109788-0-02012500-1400361092_thumb.

Hi Tent

on the basis i might be loosing my mind, can you confirm its the white wire with that gets activated with 6v when the reverse is selected. It was 2yrs ago i did mine. In fact 3yrs ago. If the 6v is not on the white wire but on the red wire then the video signal should be on the white wire

David

Still no success..

- problem is really the pins and how to connect in the plug, infact:

- the microphone adapter I showed you is still on the way (I ordered it but still didnt arrive so far), so I cant get a stable contact (is now my hypothesis otherwise it is crazy), but will wati to get the adapter at this point

- the 5pin grey plug does have a cable (dark red in my case on the far right side) that gets 12V only when putting reverse

- in my previous setup where I used normal bare wires I managed to get the 6V on the Black cable! not red nor white.. how it comes??

- tonights attempt with other cables and plugs I do not get any 6V any more on none of the cables.. I get GND on the Black now, and 2.5V on all others, Red, White and BlackWhite!

urf.. definitely need some rest now :)

Hi Tent

I am a little confused now. I was assuming your Tns 510 was already installed and you were simply adding a reversing camera into an iQ model. You seem to have different colour codes on your cables than on an iQ. The first question is how is it that you are waiting on the microphone adaptor? And on the grey plug there should be 3 wires a green one, a red and white one and a purple and white one. The green one (furtherest to the left) should have 12v on it only when reverse is selected telling the Tns to go into A/V I know this very well as i have put additional circuitry on and in line with this wire to control the Tns without selecting reverse.

Without the microphone adaptor, you should still see the black covered cable with the 4 wires inside (red,white,black and black/white. Going back to the grey plug, this plug and its 3 leads comes as a kit when you install a Tns into an iQ. Again the 4 connections at the back of the Tns for the camera, the black and black and white connections go to the chassis of the Tns so with respect to chassis there should be no voltage on them under all conditions. Once reverse is selected, there should be 12v on the green wire and 6v on the white wire. Although short lived you should be able to see it on a digital volt meter

Are you working on a different car than an iQ?

David

Hi Tent

here are a couple of pics. One is of where the 12v green control wire is and the other of a circuit i made so you can control the A/V mode without selecting reverse.Note the 1N4001 diodes are very important,without them the ECU locks up and could possibly damage it

David

post-109788-0-47385800-1400398557_thumb.

post-109788-0-71352600-1400398574_thumb.

yes indeed sorry I have a swiss avensis previously equipped with the b9010 but since I was not able to let the camera work on that one I have now tried to move to the tns510 which has also advantage to have bluetooth even if has a smaller screen (on other forums I hardly see anybody that upgraded an avensis to the tns510).. so now all in all still not able to let the camera work.. grr.. maybe it is all because of the plug and contacts (maybe camera would work in the end also with the b9010) but now I will wait for the ordered microphone plug and see if with decent jack I can solve the whole thing!!

in any case a part from the color, the cable on the grey plug is exactly behaving as you say also in my avensis: 12V as soon as I put reverse and your schema is interesting indeed so you could select the camera also when driving.. maybe in highway? or if you want to be able to feed some dvd player etc.. but would be a plus.. lets see if I get at least the basics :(

ok the microphone cable arrived and as suspected as soon as I connected the red and black cables it worked at first try!!

really no words.. either it was really poor and difficult contact towards the connectors pins or it is really so the tns510 needs to "sense" something (there are some hidden resistances behind the shrinking shield, or maybe the microphone itslef) from that cable in order to enable the camera.. also the "tel" button is working now and without cable was unresponsive as well.. anyway finally fixed!!

and thanks for the support!!

tent

David,

would you happen to have to have the pin-outs to all of the wiring on the back of the TNS510?

I have installed into a Rav 4 and would dearly love to get the steering wheel controls for the handfree working again.

Hi there

No i'm sorry i dont. The workshop manial only shows installation of the standard radio CD player. But having said that other than the inclusion of the sat antenna,the in-line interface for the microphone and a grey plug three wire lead which under certain conditions puts the Tns 510 into A/V mode for reversing camera. Thats it. The connector for the steering wheel navigation buttons just plugs into the back of the Tns510. Cant remember but i think the microphone has a plug and socket which also go in line with the steering wheel nav buttons connector. So if that connector is still there , then it should plug straight in. Hope this helps

Take a look here it shows the installation of the Rav4 along with all other models

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx

Actually this is the one specific to the Rav4

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{07004F44-6B59-762C-7795-3880EB486B59}/RAV4_TNS_510_RHD_PZ445_00333_00_AIM_001_503_1.pdf

David

@Billisbones: not sure if it helps

07navcon2.jpg

Also consider put answering button between pins 9 and 10 (i mean some voice button on steering wheel)

(http://www.oemvalue.com/images/07navcon2.jpg)

@Tarquin: now I will need to have some fun in trying to open up the trunk in order to fit there the rearcamera and take also the backup power.. are there some instructions around to follow? I'd like to avoid dismounting what is not needed to be dismounted ghgh :)

Hi Tent

Thats great news !!! I thought i was loosing my mind!!!

I have fitted my camera in tbe number plate where we have a Euro circle of stars. There is a rubber gromnet to bring the cable up into the "boot"area underneath the narrow storage box and then under the edge of the rear side panel, then along under the scuff panel and under the triangle footwell panel and up under the dashboard. The hard part is getting the cable through the rubber grommet. The12v power should be sourced from near the tns510. Some have taken the power from the reversing light feed but i have found some have not been successful as the time taken to power up the camera by this method varies from car to car. Some it works for some it dont. Mine is fed from behind the cigar socket

David

uh.. ehm.. ok I suppose you have no photos of that, correct? and did you find out that way for yourself or followed some schema or so? about the 12V to stay continuously on the cam I think it is a good idea and will go that way as well.. taking 12V on the front should also be quite easy.. and I could reuse that red cable running together with the RCA in that case....

Hi all!

While speaking about tns 510 sat navs. Does anybody out there in toyotaland have one installed in j12/lc120 landcruiser 2008 model. I can not get a straight answer from any one! Help.

Regards Sean B.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Hi sean

Toyota are only showing installation instructions for the Tns300 and Tns700

The tns510 will generally work on a kitchen table with a set of 4 Speakers and a couple of Antenna's. its integrating it into a car thats nor prepared for it thats the problem

David