Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Hate Halfords...

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

LOL @ EM

:lol: Cheers for your post about how Halfrauds works, its really made me laugh this morning - so much that i have tea dribbling down my chin :lol: ;)

I'd love to know the training that Halfrauds staff have to go through. As to be honest i dont think they know their ars from their elbow - let alone anything about cars.

I remember once asking for some bulbs for my supra. Found the part number in the flip chart thing - surprise surprise they are wrong as the parts lists are written by a nutless monkey.

Anyway i went to the part desk to see if i could get the correct bulbs. Then the twit behind the counter trys telling me that they are correct and that its probably because i have an import...."I didnt say i have an import...i have a UK Car actually. Besides, what kinda mong writes a part list in the UK and states the numbers for imports instead of the actual UK model?"........

To which he replied "Nah all supra's are imports" :blink:

"Err your wrong im afraid as i have one outside...besides i've also got an import and those bulbs wouldnt fit that either..." i said

To be honest he's lucky i didnt stuff the bulbs up his nose for being such a dumb azz...

But since this i too go to my local Motorists Discount Centre :) Very very very very very good :)

I remeber going in and asking for a sump plug for her MR2 (AW11)

"Dont do em..."

OK, do you have one for a Corolla GTi

"Nope"

They had NO recolection of Toyotas 4AGE what-so-ever on the system :lol:

Fail

And in future use a proper detailing supplier than them muppets

www.polishedbliss.com

www.cleanyourcar.com

To name a few

Whenever i left my car with them in the past for say buy stereo from there(how mad back then was i) they never ever returned my calls i had to call or visit then to find out car been ready or the item had arrived, & i was looking for some clear side indicators for my 1995 323F some yrs ago & notice them selling a small selection for certain cars on display by abc design (automotive light manufacturer) & i asked if they can get hold any for my mazda 323f as i knew this manufacturer makes them for the mazda 323f & their response 'we can only order whats on display' hmmmmmm :rolleyes: & not alot was on display from memory fiesta, corsa & mondeo ones.....so i bought from somewhere else, their loss ! !

Just a thought from someone in a Country which doesn't have a Halfords (as far as I know)

So, everyone hates Halfords ? Why are they still in business then, especially in this recession ?

Some people out there must be happy with them :rolleyes:

one of my friends used to work in Halfords!!

she doesn't know much about cars!!!

and

she doesn't drive!!!!

another Halfords rip off!! i saw that they had a michelin man shaped tyre pressure gauge and the sign said 3.99pound took it to the counter....they tried to charge me 13.99, the one had rubbed off. Went to wilkos after and bought one for 4.99!!!!! bargain!!!!

Just a thought from someone in a Country which doesn't have a Halfords (as far as I know)

So, everyone hates Halfords ? Why are they still in business then, especially in this recession ?

I like them, the one in Grimsby and Subikhorpe are alright, well Grimsby is. The lads there are helpful, if a little thin on the ground, aslong as you double check everything and speak to the right people they are fine lol

Halfords are useless to be honest - i really dont know why i continue to shop there... must check my brain one day!

Went in to get some new Wiper Blades, checked the flip chart thing and picks out the ones they said would fit my aw11 - i had in one hand a 20"wiper blade and in the other hand a 14" wiper blade :blink:

Seeing the look of sheer confusion on my face and staring down my top one of the guys comes over to ask if i need any help :rolleyes: - obviously i do as those Wiper Blades clearly arnt gonna fit! I told him they werent right and he checks on the computer

Halfords guy: 'we dont even have a mk1 mr2 listed on the computer .....'

Me: :blink:

So i checked the Bosch flip chart instead which provides me with a 20" and an 18" blade - which is right!

So dont trust the 'halfords' flip charts! or the staff! - the brand name stuff has more chance of being correct, use your common sense and always ask them if you can take the bits back if they are not right - which you have a right to do anyway.

T x

As someone who 'messes' with vehicles of all ages I have to say I find Halfords are ...

...BRILLIANT! :)

And I'm not joking! The one in the town next to mine (nearest one) is extremely helpful and has very knowledgeable staff (most of whom are vehicle enthusiasts themselves).

Prices (-if you can obtain a trade card - this can be obtained if you 'appear' to be a regular purchaser of car spares or tools; but trade card does not count for 'muppet' accessories or polish), of parts tends to undercut most other establishments in my area.

The computer parts system they have is excellent and I have had no problem obtaining items for even older vehicles say from the 1960's or 70's.

...A little tip with their computer parts system is to know who the 'manufacturer' is recently or who it has become recently -

For example if wanting an item for say a Hillman Avenger then look under Peugeot as Hillman was under Rootes Group who inturn were part of Chysler who then became Talbot and lastly taken over by Peugeot - simple

The same would go wanting service parts for an Austin 1100 - look under Rover as Austin went under B.M.C banner who then renamed them selves British Leyland (and then just Leyland Cars) then renamed again Austin Rover in the 80's and finally just Rover (and tragically we all know the outcome there :angry: )

Also a couple of the staff are very conversant with OBD systems and appropriate code reading (plus Diagnostic requirements) on todays current cars.

So to quote Bizarra ...

QUOTE (Bizarra @ Apr 3 2009, 11:12 PM)

You're right and yep I for one can see why they have survived - the one near me provides damn good service so WELL DONE Halfords and keep up the good work!

:)

P.S. No I am NOT in any way conected with Halfords it was just I could not believe that the establishments that other members have experianced behave in this way - 'tis such a contrast!

...A little tip with their computer parts system is to know who the 'manufacturer' is recently or who it has become recently -

For example if wanting an item for say a Hillman Avenger then look under Peugeot as Hillman was under Rootes Group who inturn were part of Chysler who then became Talbot and lastly taken over by Peugeot - simple

The same would go wanting service parts for an Austin 1100 - look under Rover as Austin went under B.M.C banner who then renamed them selves British Leyland (and then just Leyland Cars) then renamed again Austin Rover in the 80's and finally just Rover (and tragically we all know the outcome there :angry: )

All well and good but as Tegan discovered they didn't even have a Mk1 MR2 on the system - Not under Toyota anyway.

I find Halfords useful ( as they are very local ), but very limited in what I'd buy from them.

• 3 weeks later...

My local Hellfrauds has the caption "We'll not be beaten on price" on the door.

I've always found this a true statement but wonder why they want to advertise the fact that you can purchase similar products cheaper anywhere else. Doesn't seem to be good salesmanship to me. Still, I suppose honesty is the best policy...

D

The branch in a place where the Duke of Hamilton used to stay is consistently poor - staff meet in a huddle in the parts section behind the counter and I've stood and asked to pay for goods I want to purchase. One time, I got fed up, and left the part on the counter.

The advantage they have is of course that they generally have a car park. The old style wee shop on the high street has all but gone, as the parking has been banned.

Whereas tools can be bought at various places, on a Sunday often nowhere else is open to buy car bits. Bit like running a hotel - you make no money during the week, then make the profit at the weekends.

Why are Halfords in business someone asks? Probably because a load of people who know nothing about cars shop there and buy substandard and overpriced goods from a store with staff that know next to nothing about cars themselves (as someone else proved) so its the blind leading the blind really.

There are more people in the U.K. who know nothing about cars than there are who do. My girlfriend knows how to handle a car (her old man used to race and test racing cars) but knows nothing about the mechanics of one and whenever she has a problem simply takes it to a garage. There is your answer I think.

I don't think I'll ever go to Halfords again either. There are two motorists discount centers in Oxford. One on the Botley Road and a bigger one in Cowley. Both of which I can get all that I need from, fantastic advice and if they have a moment will fit the parts (such as wipers) too at no extra cost!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links