Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump.

Unklian

Quick question for any forum tech's re: my replacement water pump.

Is it normal upon start up that i hear, behind the dashboard, the sound of gurgling water flowing for about 3 seconds?

It did it on both start ups today.

The main reason for asking, is that in almost 3 years i have never heard this happen.

Cheers.

Quick question for any forum tech's re: my replacement water pump.

Is it normal upon start up that i hear, behind the dashboard, the sound of gurgling water flowing for about 3 seconds?

It did it on both start ups today.

The main reason for asking, is that in almost 3 years i have never heard this happen.

Cheers.

You could have an air lock in the heater unit, does the heater get as hot as before the pump was done ? also after a water pump has been replaced the coolant normally needs topping up a few days later, check the level of the coolant when the car is stone cold and top up as necessary.

The heater warmed the car on the way home this evening. Didn't notice it being less warm.....

If it does the same thing tomorrow, i'll give the dealer a buzz for advice.

Thanks for the quick answer bob.

Water pump view from under car, pump is the one in the middle with pink anti freeze marks....

IMG_1576.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had the water pump replaced today under warrenty, 57 reg 16000 miles.

A few weeks ago I noticed a very slight pink stain to the water pump pully so showed it to the dealer who agreed to replace it. (Yeovil Toyota)

I have been looking occasionally for the last couple of years after reading on this forum about some failures and upgraded pumps so would urge anyone else to keep an eye on theirs.

I have also had the glove box lid replaced with the latest version. Much better design. I think the original must have been designed by a designer with one brain cell.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!!

Just got my Water Pump Replaced on my 2010 Aygo, It has 38.000 Km's, and was replaced under warranty. The pump is completely different to the ones posted here, tomorrow morning, I'll take a couple of pictures and post them here. noticed the charges for this, and they should have been around 210€ for all parts and labor. Including Portuguese VAT.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone!!

Just got my Water Pump Replaced on my 2010 Aygo, It has 38.000 Km's, and was replaced under warranty. The pump is completely different to the ones posted here, tomorrow morning, I'll take a couple of pictures and post them here. noticed the charges for this, and they should have been around 210€ for all parts and labor. Including Portuguese VAT.

Cheers.

As promised, here is a picture of my new water pump... is this the second version or third version waterpump for aygos?post-75132-127197644002_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone!!

Cheers.

As promised, here is a picture of my new water pump... is this the second version or third version waterpump for aygos?post-75132-127197644002_thumb.jpg

Thanks for uploading your pic. :thumbsup: I now know what to look for. :D

Hi Everyone!!

Cheers.

Thanks for uploading your pic. :thumbsup: I now know what to look for. :D

well that is the good one, the new one that was installed 2 days ago :)

Cheers

What can you do, though, I want dealer servicing and you have to pay Toyota prices.

Did you seek a goodwill gesture/contribution from Toyota? I would think you would stand a very good chance given age/mileage/FTSH your car obviously has?

hi

just registered and wanted to say that i've been checking out hints and tips etc on here for a while and some great stuff!

got me worried now about the water pump as car is almost 3 years old and warranty up soon so better go and check it out! - will let you know what I find

ta again for the great site and all the input everyone gives

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

hi again

good news is the pump SEEMS OK as far as I can tell, but asked dealer if had issues and would look at mine and they said no apparent issues and would ONLY replace it if is was definately DEFECTIVE ie knowing my chances it will be fine for another 4 months and 1 day (long enough to be JUST out of warranty!) :censor:

• 9 months later...

I have just been in to see my dealership because there was a squeaking noise when the car was at idle, and apparently it was the water pump....

I have a squeek at idle but im not sure its the water pump as it goes when i slightly dip clutch

Symptoms Same as I had, it will not get any better.

Dont do as i did and change the belt, and alternator bearings first.

Get a camera , take a pic of the belt/pump area IMPORTANT NOTE ..with forced flash on, and it helps if you set your camera to macro mode so you can close focus(flower symbol on most cameras).

Dried Toyota pink sllc will light up like a xmas tree under flash.

Check result.

Things will be self evident from the photo.

Any signs of pink, change pump.

Check coolant level under pressure cap (engine cold)..you will more than likely find its low...if not

Also a further check,disconnect Battery earth,(Just incase/safety first..you want to keep your fingers), take belt off,you will need a 14mm and 12mm spanner to undo and slacken but not remove the main alternator bolt(the upermost one @14mm) and slacken loads on the adjuster long bolt x 1 (12mm) and also slacken 2 turns the adjuster pinch bolt to the engine block @12mm. Once these are loosened you can remove the belt easy and let the dog see the rabbit.. check for lateral free play in pump pulley by rocking it in the direction of the os wing and engine block with the belt off..a smidgeon of movement..thats your noise..its impeller shaft bearing wear and it will leak, if it doesnt now, it will very soon.

The pump bearing should have no lateral free play..a new pump shaft/impeller bearing is tight as a natts chuff.

Things will be better noise wise if you put the belt back a little less tensioned than before.

But get it changed for a new thicker flange modified unit asap (see other thread links provided in post number 38 of this thread for part refs/pics etc) and get fresh 5ltrs toyota sllc pink coolant, the whole job diy is around £110, a relatively low degree of difficulty for the savvy home mechanic and worth it.

Remember aygos and yaris 1.0 12v cars do not have temp guage..carry on with a leaker and you will get no warning until its too late and it will cost you dear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links