Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Vvti Extra Bhp?

JT1990

Hi all,

I own a Corolla T3 1.6 VVTI (Wanted a T Sport, but because of age/experience the insurance clerk couldn't stop laughing :rolleyes:). Anway, until I have my full NCB, I am stuck with the 'normal' car.

Has anybody managed to get some extra performance out of the 1.6? Don't mind spending a few extra shillings just to make overtaking a bit easier :thumbsup:

Any pointers/advice will be greatly welcome!

Cheers

Hi all,

I own a Corolla T3 1.6 VVTI (Wanted a T Sport, but because of age/experience the insurance clerk couldn't stop laughing :rolleyes:). Anway, until I have my full NCB, I am stuck with the 'normal' car.

Has anybody managed to get some extra performance out of the 1.6? Don't mind spending a few extra shillings just to make overtaking a bit easier :thumbsup:

Any pointers/advice will be greatly welcome!

Cheers

Hello,

Go for an air-filter, exhuast system and some other stuff like a light-weight Flywheel which, though its expensive, makes the engine rev easier and gives it a little less strain to worry about.

For handling, you can get coilovers or lowering springs, coilovers being much more expensive but are fully adjustable with ride-height and lower and upper rebound.

If you get some heavy engine mods or intend to do a bit of thrashing around, then a new set of Racing Brake discs with EBC Greenstuff pads are very good for increasing your stopping power.

A re-map will also do some good BUT do talk to other T3 owners about how well they may benefit the car and make sure that you know what the re-map is and what exactly it is that it changes, because they can prove to be expensive!

Good luck with your car and progress, hope this helped,

KPARRIS-JONES

Great Info :thumbsup:

The handling, although not perfect, is fine for the type of driving I do. Don't really want to start doing chasis mods if the engine can't pull any harder. Plus, it will make the wait for a CTS more fun :yahoo: !!!

Great Info :thumbsup:

The handling, although not perfect, is fine for the type of driving I do. Don't really want to start doing chasis mods if the engine can't pull any harder. Plus, it will make the wait for a CTS more fun :yahoo: !!!

Glad it helped and I understand your logic there. Enjoy your car! :thumbsup:

Try and save weight. Anything unecessary should go!!! tyres pumped fully always help top end. and yeah as they said a decent air filter is the trick.

Try and save weight. Anything unecessary should go!!! tyres pumped fully always help top end. and yeah as they said a decent air filter is the trick.

Good plan there!

May I politely point out any mods you make to the car need to be declaired to your insurer.

Im guessing from your first post your young? Some insurers will not allow drivers under 21 to modify a vehicle in anyway shape or form and with some, that age is 25.

You may find that adding a simple air filter adds a hefty percentage to your premium, and could eventually become a case of costing more to insure than a CTS.

If you dont notify your insurer and have an incident, when your vehicle is inspected and found to be 'not to manufacturers specification' you will be deemed 'uninsured' as you have breached the terms and conditions of the policy. This will leave you with a repair bill for your car, and a law suit from you insurer/3rd parties insurer for damages to other persons property, injury claims and legal fees. (I speak from experience here, so please do notify of ANY changes made).

Insurance maybe a boring subject but it does come in useful for young male drivers who seem to like claiming on it :lol: ;)

Weight saving is the best bet for performance, copy this and i reckon she will be pretty rapid :lol: :P

stripped_down_car.jpg

Insurance maybe a boring subject but it does come in useful for young male drivers who seem to like claiming on it :lol: ;)

Weight saving is the best bet for performance, copy this and i reckon she will be pretty rapid :lol: :P

stripped_down_car.jpg

:lol:

That should just about do it for the weight saving.

The link says it's a Nova?

Depends on the modification though a drop in air filter wont void ur insurance thats pathetic, if you went to buy a non brand name air filter and had a accident would it effect???? or if you bought a blitz panel filter all of a sudden ur insurance is declined.

Depends on the modification though a drop in air filter wont void ur insurance thats pathetic, if you went to buy a non brand name air filter and had a accident would it effect???? or if you bought a blitz panel filter all of a sudden ur insurance is declined.

you may well consider it pathetic. i know i do, but i also know thats IS how pathetic insurers are. its a sad fact. typically speaking you should have a manufacturers approved part fitted which is made to std. or similar specification. forgive me if im wrong but i dont think the majority of performance filters have been approved by many, if any, car manufacturers.

at the end of the day everyone does what they want to do. i know im legal and covered. so if a 3rd party hits me or if i happen to hit them, ill be financially 'safe'. :)

Good plan there!

Everyone seems to think an airfilter will make a difference.. Well you know what, on a 1.6, it really wont. The only difference it wil give the car a bit of a sportier sound; thats about it.

• Like 1