Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Diesel Dyno

adilmon

Hi,

I had my Aygo on a Dyno today and am only a little surprised by the results. The factory's book says the 0-60mph is 16.3sec (0-100kph, 16.8 sec), but I've been getting that speed in around 14 seconds (with full tank of fuel and various other junk in the boot). First of all the mechanic said I gained 3bhp just by moving the floor mat out of the way. The Aygo Diesel is quoted as having 54hp at the crankshaft, but mine came out higher.

This confirms my long held belief that BP ultimate Diesel really does work. The other fuels I've used leave the Aygo breathless at motorway speeds

Here are the results

5pln47.jpg

2r6e5i1.jpg

2vnqezd.jpg

If you're wondering "what about a dyno for the petrol Aygo?" Here's the link to Guidom's thread

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...140&hl=dyno

Ok I've just noticed something: These stats are very similar to what you would expect this 1.4 HDi engine to produce in the Citroen C2 1.4 HDI (the Diesel Aygo's engine is sourced from Peugeot Citroen).

(http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=26270)

The c2 engine is actually quoted as having 70bhp and 120 Lb/Ft of Torque. The above dyno says 68 hp and 138 Lb/Ft of Torque (which levels out at 120 Lb/Ft)

Just for comparison, what did it dyno at on normal diesel?

I had a Skoda Fabia vRS, which was supposed to run 130bhp out of the box but when it was dyno'd it was running 148bhp. That was on bog standard diesel. The manufacturers figure shouldnt be taken as geing 100% accurate.

However, working in a forecourt myself, I would say its well worth using the better quality diesels in your car, as the cheap diesels are pretty nasty. We have loads of problems with filters getting clogged in the pumps, due to the jelly that forms in the bio-diesels. If I had a diesel car I certainly wouldnt put this rubbish in it. So even without the performance benefits, it is worth using the better fuels just to keep your engine in tip top condition. :thumbsup:

Just for comparison, what did it dyno at on normal diesel?

I didn't run it with regular diesel. I figured the manufacturer would do that and I didn't fancy spending another £60 to discover what toyota have already told me. Here's the published diesel dyno (this is from the mechanically identical C1 HDi)

103h8r5.jpg

So you got 68HP at the crank out of a car that's only supposed to have 54HP?

And the WHP came out at 54? That's a bit too much of a coincidence it seems...

So you got 68HP at the crank out of a car that's only supposed to have 54HP?

And the WHP came out at 54? That's a bit too much of a coincidence it seems...

Interesting how guidom's standard 68bhp petrol Aygo came out at just over 75bhp with no modifications. Once is a chance, twice is a conspiracy :lol:

Guidom's car wasn't the oly one that came out better when stock:

another one that Bullpower chipped had about the same margin...

68bhp is so far over 54bhp I'd be tempted to take it to another dyno place to get another value for comparison.

Regards

Andy

I thought that at first as well. However, it's the only explanation I have for the 14 second 0-60.

I've been reading up and it appears that hp (SAE net horsepower) is different from the BHP (Brake horsepower). The hp usually comes out lower than BHP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#SAE_net_horsepower

Yep it's an interesting one. Maybe the rear wheel horsepower is spot on which would still be good because you would normally expect a drop, hence the good time, and the estimated crank power is out? Or perhaps the standard engine is capped in some applications and you have managed to get some uncapped one due to cockup?

I still agree with you over the petrol by the way, though I know we will never convince some folk ! :yes:

Regards

99 Andy

Maybe the much larger than standard increase in torque (187Nm Vs standard 130Nm) suggests something else. These HDI engines have a Diesel particulate filter (DPF) that regenerates every 3-400 miles. This is done by increasing the engine exhaust gas temperature(with a post combustion injection) and addtion of a fuel additive called eloys (stored somewhere in the tank i think). This rise in exhaust gas temperature helps burn off the soot in the DPF. The side effect, which ECU is supposed to minimise, is sudden increased torque. (i guess the hotter exhaust gases also decrease back pressure)

Maybe the rear wheel horsepower is spot on

REAR Wheel Horsepower on an Aygo is ZERO, no matter what

kind of dyno you put it on, except for the Aygo Crazy of course.

Sorry, couldn't resist

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I've just noticed something: These stats are very similar to what you would expect this 1.4 HDi engine to produce in the Citroen C2 1.4 HDI (the Diesel Aygo's engine is sourced from Peugeot Citroen).

(http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=26270)

The c2 engine is actually quoted as having 70bhp and 120 Lb/Ft of Torque. The above dyno says 68 hp and 138 Lb/Ft of Torque (which levels out at 120 Lb/Ft)

More evidence that this diesel Aygo perhaps wasn't detuned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-414

If anyone else has a diesel Aygo and wants to meet up and compare, please send me a PM

"It is Euro 3 compliant, but will receive a Diesel particulate filter from 2006 to make it Euro 4 compliant."

That means the euro 3 had 67 hp, and the euro 4 has 55. I have a friend who has a clio III and it's euro 3. Same engine as the euro 4 but it makes more hp.

This is the only thing I can think up right now :D

• 2 weeks later...
...the standard engine is capped in some applications and you have managed to get some uncapped one due to cockup?

Yes the standard engine is supposed to be de-tuned to 54 hp from 68 hp.

I recently had the Aygo in for warranty work with a fuel injector leak. They plugged in their Intelli-tester (Toyota's own software diagnostic) to check the glow plugs, but it came up blank. i.e. there was no interface between toyota's custom diagnostic tool and my ECU, but my scangauge still works fine.

This is probably the best evidence yet that suggests my Aygo is uncapped from the original Peugeot/Citroen application (apart from also matching the 68hp and 120lb/ft on the dyno)

• 11 months later...

Just an update, the Intellitester does work on my Aygo. I made the mistake of thinking the glow plugs were supposed to be triggered by air inlet temperature. Instead the glow plugs are triggered by the coolant temperature

I have had many a Toyota Dyno tested on our kit (Dyno Dynamics 4wd system) EVERY Toyota we have Dyno'd has always come in UNDER the standard manufacturers figures. T180's which are supposed to be 177 are usually 165 ish

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links