Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back Wheel Brake Hubs

CALSHOT

Hello,

Both my back wheel brake hubs have taken on a rusty look.... anyone know if these can be replaced easily?

There's also a metal plate at the back of the brake disc (not sure what it's called)... but this has the same rusty look too...

Could do with both replacing but i'm not sure if they're stand alone parts or part of something larger.

Any ideas?

thanks

Hello,

Both my back wheel brake hubs have taken on a rusty look.... anyone know if these can be replaced easily?

There's also a metal plate at the back of the brake disc (not sure what it's called)... but this has the same rusty look too...

Could do with both replacing but i'm not sure if they're stand alone parts or part of something larger.

Any ideas?

thanks

I have the same problem so would be interested to hear how easy they are to replace or repair?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem so would be interested to hear how easy they are to replace or repair?

Sorted the problem ... from my original post i thought the hub was separate,,, but it's actually one unit, the rear brake disc .... change the rear brake disc and you'll get a nice shiny look. Though ... i've had new discs for 2 weeks now and after a bit of rain a few rusty looking patches are showing ... Can't win...

Think the only way around it is to get some new alloys where the spokes aren't so thin.... then you won't be able to see the hub as easily!

Thats the trobble with cheap brake disks. Some disks have a high temp paint coating to stop this rusting look on the non contact services.

2brake.jpg

You can buy high temp paint and do it your self, just dont paint the contact serface of corse (o:

As above, clean all the rust off with a wire brush & paint the non contact area. Toyota OEM discs really are crap as far as how quickly they corrode, your much better off going for some decent aftermarket ones, EBC & Black diamond are popular choices but even these will rust over time. I painted my EBC disc hubs with smooth Hamerite over a year ago & they still look good.

disc3.jpg

As above, clean all the rust off with a wire brush & paint the non contact area. Toyota OEM discs really are crap as far as how quickly they corrode, your much better off going for some decent aftermarket ones, EBC & Black diamond are popular choices but even these will rust over time. I painted my EBC disc hubs with smooth Hamerite over a year ago & they still look good.

disc3.jpg

Hello,

That painted hub looks good. What type of hamerite did you use... silly Qu is it called smooth hamerite? is it for sole use on cars or can you get it down the local B&Q... similar to radiator paint?

Did you take the wheel off to paint the hub?

thanks

yes you'll need to take the wheels off to do it properly. Hammerite smooth comes in both aerosol & brush-on in various colours, pretty much all diy stores + Halfords stock it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links