Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Remove Head Unit

aitcheff

Can anyone advise me on how to remove an Avensis Head Unit? I have a September 2001 Avensis with a 'Type 2' head unit - the type that controls a CD Changer (located in the boot/trunk). I need to slide out the head unit so that I can fit an auxiliary input adapter.

I have seen posts for other models of Toyota suggesting that there are screws behind the air vents which need to be removed. If this is the same for the Avensis, then I can't see how to remove the air vents.

Any advice - bearing in mind that I am a novice when it comes to head units?

Many thanks,

Aitcheff.

You need to take the complete facia off which goes from the buttons at the top to the compartment below the radio. The best way to do this is to open the compartment below the radio, and grip the underside of it and gently ease it outwards. There are two clips on either side of the bottom of the whole unit and they will come away, after that the top should come away as well. Be careful and it will be no problem. You can then place this on top of the dashboard and work away on the radio.

You should see the radio being held in place by 4 screws once you have done the above. After that it's easy enough.

Hope this helps.

Just to clarify.

You will need to remove the heater control knobs by just pulling.

When you release the 4 clips, you will need to lift the whole assembly UP ( 2 pegs locate into brackets behind unit) & pull out to allow you access to connectors.

The heater knobs don't come off they stay in with the head unit. The surround comes out and up though..

One further question - How do I remove the buttons at the top of the compartment below the radio. Is it just a case of pulling hard with pliers, or is there a better way?

Do you have a pic? Do you mean the heater controls etc?

Okay - I mis-read your first reply and thought I had to remove the two grey plastic buttons way down and to the side. I see now that there are no buttons to remove. Lucky I cleared that up before finding I had dismantled the whole dashboard! :P

When you said to 'open the compartment below the radio' do you mean by removing the ash tray? I'll need to have a look again now that I have a better understanding of your advice.

Thanks for your help.

Just to let you know that I did manage to remove the head unit without too much trouble, and the advice given in this thread was spot on and extremely helpful. :thumbsup: I can confirm that you do NOT need to remove the heater control knobs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links