Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake (clicks)

toondoug

just been to my dealer regarding a service and said that I felt that my handbrake might need adjusting.He said that about 8 clicks is fine,is he correct or does anyone have other ideas? cheers in advance

I think anchorman posted recently on this as well that its around the 6-8 clicks.... but not on the 4.1s !!! Just in case our esteemed owners of 4.1s get confused.

I think anchorman posted recently on this as well that its around the 6-8 clicks.... but not on the 4.1s !!! Just in case our esteemed owners of 4.1s get confused.

Anchorman's post is in the top ( Pinned ) section of the index under the "Technical information hints and tips" topic. 4.2 and 4.3 versions are covered. It would be quiet easy to do yourself but if you have asked the dealer to do it you could print off the instructions and give it to them - just to make your point ;)

Also questioned my T180, also told by the dealer that it's fine, Toyota recommend 7 clicks.

Seems like one of those things where all owners are worried about something that is/should be normal!

Also questioned my T180, also told by the dealer that it's fine, Toyota recommend 7 clicks.

Seems like one of those things where all owners are worried about something that is/should be normal!

Lets not forget that's at a pull of 20kgs (44 lbs). As Anchorman says, that's quite a pull. I wonder how many technicians actually use a gauge to check?

Lets not forget that's at a pull of 20kgs (44 lbs). As Anchorman says, that's quite a pull. I wonder how many technicians actually use a gauge to check?

wassa gauge :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Hi everyone just had my car back after service and the handbrake has been adjusted to 4 clicks ,have I been shortchanged

?service guy said it needed adjustment. took it for a spin and saw no difference after the engine upgrade.on the ferry next week to uk and give it a blast

So...how many on the 4.1s please, Bothy?

I like to have my hand brake with as little clicks as possible, I don`t like having to lift it above head height to brake the rav, Mine`s quite high at the moment, I`m nearly hitting the sunroof :P not sure of how many clicks, but I don`t like where it is, Will have to adjust it when I get time.

After the first service, my handbrake click count was down to two clicks. Not sure what that was all about. Last service they adjusted it back to more - TBH I preferred the short clicks.

The main thing is that the handbrake doesn't bind any more than very slightly - it is OK to hear it rubbing if you adjust it at the wheel but only just! It is a tiny brake with a lot of force working against it and if it has no clearance you will not feel it binding when you drive. The risk is that it will get very hot and cause either the linings to come unbonded or damage to the disc. Having only a small number of clicks doesn't make the brake any better but it does increase the risk of it getting damaged. It is more important to make sure the handbrake doesn't run out of "reserve". In other words when it is fully applied the lever doesn't hit the end of the slot and limit the force on the shoes. In this photo you can see how tiny the shoes are;

IMG_1735-1.jpg

.......as they fit inside the boss of the disc;

IMG_1745-1.jpg

To be honest if you are saying it is applied at 2 clicks then I can't see how it can be clearing properly. The next time you go out make sure it will roll away on a very slight incline and that the disc isn't getting hot (don't burn your fingers - spit on it).

around 3.5 :)

around 3.5 :)

Thanks Bothy. Ravi Shankar's won't click any more than 3 so I guess that's about spot on!

just been to my dealer regarding a service and said that I felt that my handbrake might need adjusting.He said that about 8 clicks is fine,is he correct or does anyone have other ideas? cheers in advance

Had my T180 in for its first service last Friday - definitely 7 clicks for hand brake now.

Guy

Had my T180 in for its first service last Friday - definitely 7 clicks for hand brake now.

Guy

best carry an anchor and heavy rope for emergencies then :lol: :lol: :lol: Must be the excessive doors!

Guy

best carry an anchor and heavy rope for emergencies then :lol: :lol: :lol: Must be the excessive doors!

Hi Bothy,

It is much too fast for an anchor - it really does need a parachute to come out from the back when stopping from a fast speed. I do feel so sorry for you with only 3 doors - very difficult to get in the back to sit peacfully for a cuppa or a nice drop of the hard stuff !!

Is Rutherglen still there? Spent many nights on business there when I was working.

Best wishes to you

Guy

Guy

Hi Bothy,

It is much too fast for an anchor - it really does need a parachute to come out from the back when stopping from a fast speed. I do feel so sorry for you with only 3 doors - very difficult to get in the back to sit peacfully for a cuppa or a nice drop of the hard stuff !!

Is Rutherglen still there? Spent many nights on business there when I was working.

Best wishes to you

Guy

haha

if you'd met me then you'd know that sitting in the back of anything is physically challenging :lol:

Rutherglens still here altho its getting chopped a bit to make way for the M74-M8 link!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links