Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member With A Broken Celica

thetigerscelica

Hi all - have just received the bad news I was dreading and signed up to see if anyone has anything sympathy! My Dad got ill and we took his car away which is a horrible little Rover but the old boy can at least get in and out unlike my Celica GT. Anyway i put my car on the driveway and had just decided to start driving it again as the Rover is killing me.

I've been starting it up regularly but now have a bit of a clatter at low revs. A guy has just told me I need a timing set which will come to about £380 incl labour etc. I just can't afford it and will probably have to scrap it.

Someone tell me a cheerful story re Rovers!

cheers

Hi and welcome to TOC

Not sure what you mean by a Timing Set, try asking in the Celica section. Fingers crossed you'll get the answers you need

sorry that i cant help but please dont scrap it! its a celica!! :( i'd give you more than £380 for it!!

get as many quotes as you can! , you dont have to pay for them!.

I had endless quotes when i nackerd my KA up in a smash and being quoted for the same thing varied from £50 to £250 dependin where i took it!! S ... only too find out it wasnt that all along it was a cheaper fix.. (i just still begrudged gettin it done as i hated it anyway!) ..

you might be greatly surprised ..

hope it gets sorted for you

x

Hi all - have just received the bad news I was dreading and signed up to see if anyone has anything sympathy! My Dad got ill and we took his car away which is a horrible little Rover but the old boy can at least get in and out unlike my Celica GT. Anyway i put my car on the driveway and had just decided to start driving it again as the Rover is killing me.

I've been starting it up regularly but now have a bit of a clatter at low revs. A guy has just told me I need a timing set which will come to about £380 incl labour etc. I just can't afford it and will probably have to scrap it.

Someone tell me a cheerful story re Rovers!

cheers

Cheerful thing about Rovers is that they can be scrapped too. :D

Why not flog it and use the ackers to sort your Celica GT eh? ;)

Thanks all - especially sexygirl's kind offer. Can't sell the rover (but yes it needs scrapping - 59BHP only!!) as I still need it to transport my old boy who won't crawl in and out of my Celica!

Just fyi - as it was explained to me - the timing set includes a timing belt and the series of wheels/cogs/pulleys that it runs around. By all accounts these pulleys and cogs etc all run other things - possibly the water pump? Is it apparent that I am clueless about the oily parts?

Cheers and keep any suggestions coming. Just fyi (and excluding the look of the wheels) mine looks abit like one on eBay with eBay number 250393036327. That car has nothing to do with me by the way.

sorry that i cant help but please dont scrap it! its a celica!! :( i'd give you more than £380 for it!!

get as many quotes as you can! , you dont have to pay for them!.

I had endless quotes when i nackerd my KA up in a smash and being quoted for the same thing varied from £50 to £250 dependin where i took it!! S ... only too find out it wasnt that all along it was a cheaper fix.. (i just still begrudged gettin it done as i hated it anyway!) ..

you might be greatly surprised ..

hope it gets sorted for you

x

380 is a rip off for a timing belt TBH, im not saying that it doesnt need the belt replacing but it wouldnt make that much classer (squeeling yes clatter not really)

in his defence the garage bloke changed my timing belt for £120 about 20k miles ago. He reckons I need the timing set as he calls it - the set includes the belt and a bunch of bells and whistles (cogs/pulleys/wheels) and says the set cost £280 and his labour would be £100. One of the times where parts exceed the cost of labour which, for what I understand to be quite some amount of work, seems cheap. It just seems that £280 for the Toyota set is pretty costly. If someone knows better they could take the car off my hands and do the work themselves I guess. I really dont want to scrap it - everything else is just fine and the rattle/clatter happens when cold when the revs are abbout 1500 - 2000 rpm. As I visulise it the belt must be lose and "flapping" creating the clatter against the timing belt cover. It may be that once warmer something else expands taking up the slack - I just don't know anything about cars.

Thanks or your continuing interest and keep the comments coming - anyone want a project?

is it not driveable?.Are you not in a position where you can get to a toyota meet or 2 in it and then maybe one of the guys that knows there stuff could help you!. im sure someone will?!..

x

is it not driveable?.Are you not in a position where you can get to a toyota meet or 2 in it and then maybe one of the guys that knows there stuff could help you!. im sure someone will?!..

x

Good thought..

If it's driveable and you can get to Santa Pod this Sunday we've got a number of chaps coming from Celica Club...

Not sure if they're the mechanical types or not but could be worth a shot?

Lookup paulgtt on here... he'll be able to tell you if anybody's coming that may be able to help

:thumbsup:

i want to come to santapod sunday :'(

but ive been roped into 2 scooby meets with the father !! .Its ok tho i have a plan... Im going to arrive in an outfit that daddy wouldnt approve of.. big heels, hotpants, and loads of makeup... he wont ask me to go again!! :lol:

x

i want to come to santapod sunday :'(

but ive been roped into 2 scooby meets with the father !! .Its ok tho i have a plan... Im going to arrive in an outfit that daddy wouldnt approve of.. big heels, hotpants, and loads of makeup... he wont ask me to go again!! :lol:

x

Really? :o

Can i come to the Scooby meet? ;)

:lol:

ha ha ha :lol: so much more than my lifes worth!.

Yes lets gate crash :D ... Bad boy toyotas VS old boy 'prezas :lol:

Im gunna shush now cos im spamming tigers thread :lol:

x

I think Sexy Celica Girl is attracting more interest than my car - can't imagine why!!

I'd love to go to Santa Pod - never been. When the garage guy gave me his verdict on tuesday he said he could not guarantee something not going seriously wrong which is why I was so down. It is entirely roadworthy and a cracking drive but I simply can't chance it now he's said that.

I can't see myself arriving at Santa Pod in my dear old pa's Rover 200. As much as I find it difficult to contemplate scrapping the celica I think it is worse to imagine driving the rover for the summer - 1120cc - gee whizz!

Come on guys - someone out there come up with a plan to save my motor - does someone want to make a project out of it? Everything works fine - electric everything - light over reg number and one brake light need replacing is all.

cheers chaps (and lasses)

If it's just a replacement belt needed, then it would be silly imho to scrap it just because of that.

Save some pennies whilst looking for a cheaper quote and get the job done.

:D

Cali.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. On another forum I was advised that Toyota do a free visual safety check. I have booked the car in for that and hope that I can ask a few questions regarding the noise I reported whilst i am there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - here's a good news update and thanks for your patience.

I just got a 3 month contract for work which means I can afford to pay for some repairs. To recap - I had had the car on the driveway for 3 months occasionally starting and turning it around. One day a bit of a clattering sound developed from the area around the timing belt and it just persisted everytime I started the car.

Anyway I started work on the 14th and was going to Toyota for a free check on monday morning the 20th. Embarrassingly I was off sick (without pay) on 15th, 16th, 17th so cancelled the 20th at Toyota cos I thought I would be pushing my luck at work.

I taxed and insured the car and drove three times on short trips over the weekend - miraculously the noise has disappeared. It was quite concerning as was fairly loud and as my garage guy said "it sounds expensive". I took the car for its MOT yesterday after a quick service at my normal garage. The guy there was gobsmacked but said "good luck to you - happy days!". The car flew through the MOT with only a replacement brake light required. Emissions were way within limits and I am delighted.

Took it out for a drive last night and it is running well - with expensive new oil soothing its parts!

Thanks for all of your help, advice and general support. I shall e-mail everyone who e-mailed me with drawings etc to thank them personally. Ishall continue to follow everyone's adventures and who knows might turn up at a meet to see what these cars are meant to look like.

cheers

D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links