Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flouting The Law

balli hi

Despite the tghitening of the Law in the form of a bigger fine & 3 penalty points, it still amazes me the amount of people i see every day with a mobile phone pressed to their ear , totally oblivious of their fellow road users, whilst completely engrossed in their phone conversation, and whilst i don't wish to stereo type the vast majority i see are women, usually driving 4x4s,

I drew up behind one this morning at a roundabout, and waited patiently for the 4x4 to pull away, but could'nt understand why it would not when there was nothing on the roundabout, i eventually drove around it, and saw that a woman was at the wheel with a phone pressed to her ear :censor:

spMobile Phones and Driving( PDF format 126kb)

A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them

fail to see road signs

fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed

are more likely to ‘tailgate’ the vehicle in front

react more slowly and take longer to brake

are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic

feel more stressed and frustrated.

They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and/or other people.

Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

The Law

On 1 December 2003, a law, “The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003”, came into force to prohibit drivers using a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, while driving. It also made it an offence to “cause or permit” a driver to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving, or to use a hand-held mobile phone while supervising a driver who only has a provisional licence.

The penalties were initially a fixed penalty of £30 or a fine of up to £1,000 if the offender goes to court (£2,500 for drivers of goods vehicles or passenger carrying vehicles with 9 or more passenger seats).

From 27th Februrary 2007, the penalty for using a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving increased to £60 and three penalty points added to the drivers' licence.

The Definition of a Hand-Held Mobile Phone

The Regulation includes any “device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data”.

It states that a “mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function”. "interactive communication function" includes:

(i) sending or receiving oral or written messages;

(ii) sending or receiving facsimile documents;

(iii) sending or receiving still or moving images; and

(iv) providing access to the internet

There are two exemptions:

2- way “press to talk” radios, such as used by the emergency services and taxi drivers

Using a hand-held phone for a genuine emergency call to 999 or 112 if it would be unsafe for the driver to stop.

The Definition of Driving

A person is “driving” even if the vehicle is stationary but the engine is running. The offence applies to all motor vehicles, including motorcycles, but will not apply to pedal cycles.

The Department for Transport have published an Information sheet, “Mobile Phones and Driving: Frequently Asked Questions” to explain the detail of the law.

Hands-Free Mobile Phones

Unfortunately, in RoSPA’s view, this law does not ban the use of hands-free mobile phones. Although the government accepts the evidence that using a hands-free phone while driving distracts the driver and increases the risk of an accident, they do not think a hands-free ban would be enforceable. RoSPA disagrees.

Drivers should also note that the existing law requiring drivers to be in proper control of their vehicle, or careless or dangerous driving laws can be applied to driving while using a hands-free phone, if the police believe the nature of the driving warrants it.

Employers

The new law includes an offence of “causing or permitting” a driver to use a hand-held phone while driving. This will, therefore, apply to employers who will be guilty of an offence if they require or permit their staff who drive for work, to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving.

Employers would be unwise to respond by supplying their staff with hands-free kits. Even if the use of these while driving does not contravene the specific ban on hand-held phones, employers could fall foul of health and safety laws if an investigation determined the use of the phone contributed to an accident.

Recent guidance from the Health and Safety Executive makes it clear that employers have a duty under health and safety law to manage the risks faced by their employees on the road. And one of the biggest risks they face is when using mobile phones while at the wheel. Research clearly shows that using a hands-free phone while driving is just as dangerous as using a hand-held phone – there is little point in having both hands connected to the steering wheel, if the brain is not connected to the hands.

There are good reasons for providing mobile phones to staff who drive for work, especially for lone workers and staff who will be travelling through areas where access to a public phone is difficult. If a member of staff breaks down, for example, they need to be able to summon help. Some employers provide mobile phones for certain staff and others reimburse the cost of work related calls made on private mobile phones.

But, this should not mean that staff use the phone while driving. As part of the management of work related road safety, employers should provide employees with clear guidance on the use of mobile phones. The use of hand-held or hands-free phones while driving should be prohibited, particularly as there is a simple alternative – let the phone take messages and return calls when stopped in a safe place.

RoSPA

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizarra

• balli hi

• Demonic Angel

• Karma Supra

Yup it winds me up too!!!

It also amazes me how many people carry on talking, none handsfree.

Since having bluetooth handsfree in my Hilux, I could never go back! Minimum fuss, works with pretty much any phone, no wires no excuses!

I was thinking of getting a bluetooth unit to put on my Visor. Still am for that matter.

But would taking a call that way not be equally distracting as a hand free ?

Where does that leave SatNavs when you are roaring "Shut up, Shut up ! I know, Iknow" at them :lol2:

If RoSPA had their way we would have to cease talking to passengers whilst driving.... I disagree that 'hands free' is distracting as it is no different to chatting to someone next to you :yes:

Sorry RoSPA but you are correct, maybe driving too is dangerous and we should stop doing it :rolleyes: Maybe even living is dangerous :lol:

Yup it winds me up too!!!

It also amazes me how many people carry on talking, none handsfree.

Since having bluetooth handsfree in my Hilux, I could never go back! Minimum fuss, works with pretty much any phone, no wires no excuses!

I'm with you , as a professional driver i never go to work without my blue tooth, but i have a question, when is the last time you saw a lady driver wearing one ? i can't ever remember seeing one

the vast majority i see are women, usually driving 4x4s, .......

I'm with you , as a professional driver i never go to work without my blue tooth, but i have a question, when is the last time you saw a lady driver wearing one ? i can't ever remember seeing one

Quite frankly, I am dismayed and angry at your simplified and arrogant summary of what you see as a "professional" driver. Berating women drivers is insulting. I and my female colleagues are renowned as being much better drivers. Unfortunately we have to be at the butt end of your jokes, and we pay extra for all the accidents you cause.

Most drivers I see using mobiles phones are male lorry drivers steering their articulated vehicle with 1 hand on the steering wheel and 1 holding the phone - even when negotiating roundabouts. The next group of inadequate male drivers using phones when driving are the classic "white van man". Then we get the utterly arrogant wasters of men who drive their large 4x4s which they clearly use as a ph***** symbol, turning corners at traffic lights while holding the phone to their left ear.

And who betide any lady driver to come in the way of the male sales representative rushing to get to the pub at the end of his shift....calling all his mates to meet for a 'few jars' before going home to "the wife".

I think you should pay more attention to other road users and actually look properly - then you will see the main culprit is your own colleagues!

the vast majority i see are women, usually driving 4x4s, .......

Quite frankly, I am dismayed and angry at your simplified and arrogant summary of what you see as a "professional" driver. Berating women drivers is insulting. I and my female colleagues are renowned as being much better drivers. Unfortunately we have to be at the butt end of your jokes, and we pay extra for all the accidents you cause.

Most drivers I see using mobiles phones are male lorry drivers steering their articulated vehicle with 1 hand on the steering wheel and 1 holding the phone - even when negotiating roundabouts. The next group of inadequate male drivers using phones when driving are the classic "white van man". Then we get the utterly arrogant wasters of men who drive their large 4x4s which they clearly use as a ph***** symbol, turning corners at traffic lights while holding the phone to their left ear.

And who betide any lady driver to come in the way of the male sales representative rushing to get to the pub at the end of his shift....calling all his mates to meet for a 'few jars' before going home to "the wife".

I think you should pay more attention to other road users and actually look properly - then you will see the main culprit is your own colleagues!

I was kinda expecting a bit of a baklash from some , but i won't let that stop me from expressing my views and whilst you are correct in pointing out that male drivers are guilty too , i stand by my observations, I don't know what you do for a living, but i spend a hell of a lot of time on the road, and yes i see everyone you have mentioned, but mostly women, and i've yet to see one wearing a blue tooth.

Please don't turn this into a men versus women thing , because its not about that.

Quite frankly, I am dismayed and angry at your simplified and arrogant summary of what you see as a "male" driver. Berating male drivers is insulting. I and my male colleagues are renowned as being much better drivers. Unfortunately we have to be at the butt end of your jokes, and we pay extra for all the accidents you cause (insurance for men is miles more expensive!!!!).

Most drivers I see using mobiles phones and lipstick are female yaris/ka/micra drivers steering their vehicle with 1 hand on the lipstick and 1 holding the phone - even when negotiating roundabouts. The next group of inadequate female drivers using phones when driving are the classic "white van woman". Then we get the utterly arrogant wags who drive their large 4x4s, turning corners at traffic lights while holding the phone to their left ear not to mention the school run.

And woe betide any male driver to come in the way of the female sales representative rushing to get to the hair salon at the end of her shift....calling all her mates to meet for a 'bacardi and coke' before going home to "the husband".

Terrible rant really, it's both idiot men and women drivers that use their phone whilst driving. :lol: :lol:

Balli,

Roneo Corner in Romford seems to be a magnet for it! See loads chatting on their phones there morning and evening.

I never use my phone when driving..if I get a text or get a phone call then it will just ring out/beep and I pull over in a side road and check it when when completely safe to do so.

Quite frankly, I am dismayed and angry at your simplified and arrogant summary of what you see as a "male" driver. Berating male drivers is insulting. I and my male colleagues are renowned as being much better drivers. Unfortunately we have to be at the butt end of your jokes, and we pay extra for all the accidents you cause (insurance for men is miles more expensive!!!!).

Most drivers I see using mobiles phones and lipstick are female yaris/ka/micra drivers steering their vehicle with 1 hand on the lipstick and 1 holding the phone - even when negotiating roundabouts. The next group of inadequate female drivers using phones when driving are the classic "white van woman". Then we get the utterly arrogant wags who drive their large 4x4s, turning corners at traffic lights while holding the phone to their left ear not to mention the school run.

And woe betide any male driver to come in the way of the female sales representative rushing to get to the hair salon at the end of her shift....calling all her mates to meet for a 'bacardi and coke' before going home to "the husband".

Terrible rant really, it's both idiot men and women drivers that use their phone whilst driving. :lol: :lol:

:lol: Now that made me laugh :lol: I've almost fallen off my chair :D

Balli,

Roneo Corner in Romford seems to be a magnet for it! See loads chatting on their phones there morning and evening.

I never use my phone when driving..if I get a text or get a phone call then it will just ring out/beep and I pull over in a side road and check it when when completely safe to do so.

Whatcha blue, i hope i hav'nt caused you any offence, i can tell from your post that you are a responsible safe driver, its a shame loch nessie, sorry my mistake , Nettie failed to see the point.

Whoh... that was some rant though.

In cases like this I ask myself What would Jesus do ?

He'd probably pull up a chair, turn some water into wine and chill :P

That was Bothy in his alter ego, Nettie McKenzie :unsure: doing one of his "Windups" & Boy, did it work :lol:

Talk :o . Standing on a street corner listening to a "Preacher" on a soap box, & according to him, he didn't shut up the whole time he was on the Cross. He spent the time telling us all what not to do. Don't think he mentioned answering phones while driving, though :rolleyes: . Must ask next time I'm in. :unsure:

Talk :o . Standing on a street corner listening to a "Preacher" on a soap box, & according to him, he didn't shut up the whole time he was on the Cross. He spent the time telling us all what not to do. Don't think he mentioned answering phones while driving, though :rolleyes: . Must ask next time I'm in. :unsure:

Standing on a street corner again... People will talk :lol:

Times are hard & Business is Business [NOT] :Jumpy: Mind you, I did get approached by two women who wanted to smell my pipe & went into orgasms over it + a good looking Romanian Lady looking for money for food :huh: I made her sweat before giving some change & my whole family is going to be prayed for :unsure: Another came along & I said that I had already given. I think that her remark in Romanian on leaving will cancel out the prayers :fear: Erm... how off topic can I get :laughing:

Times are hard & Business is Business [NOT] :Jumpy:

Victor said I earned £9.05 on the game,

So I asked which cheap bugger gave him 5p and he said

"All of them" :lol:

Times are hard & Business is Business [NOT] :Jumpy:

"All of them" :lol:

Is that not the going rate ? I wouldn't know :rolleyes: Could you PM me the price list ? :lol2: :lol2: :kisss: :lol2:

LMFAO!!! I was thinking along the exact same lines!!!

Just to clarify when I say "since the bluetooth in my Hilux" I meant built in to the car, not the startrek earpieces... I could never wear one of those without feeling like an utter berk!

The Hilux had an Alpine head unit with a bluetooth hands free module, just like the other half's MR2. it cost £80 and took about 15 mins to fit, and apart from the microphone, is 100% stealth. you also dial/recieve calls through the headunit, using tha phonebook/caller ID, so you never even need to take your phone out of your pocket.

Personally I think every new car should come with it standard, after all its a built in car kit that pretty much fits any phone!

Whilst I agree it is unsafe not to have control of your vehicle by not having both hands on the steering wheel for a majority of the time (obviously in a manual you have to change gear) I cannot understand why it is completely unsafe to drive within the speed limit holding a mobile phone or sat nav. BUT it is OK (and presumably deemed safe) to drive to the scene of a crime or accident at speeds exceeding the recommended limit whilst holding a 2-way radio that requires you have to push a button every time you want to speak.

With this loop hole in place you would think someone would market a hands free phone kit that used a 2-way radio mouthpiece for the driver to hold.

I drive my RAV number 1 around, which is too fast to notice; too loud to care or listen to a radio or use a phone; and so scary, prayers are the main focus......aside from crucifixes. :)

LMFAO!!! I was thinking along the exact same lines!!!

Just to clarify when I say "since the bluetooth in my Hilux" I meant built in to the car, not the startrek earpieces... I could never wear one of those without feeling like an utter berk!

The Hilux had an Alpine head unit with a bluetooth hands free module, just like the other half's MR2. it cost £80 and took about 15 mins to fit, and apart from the microphone, is 100% stealth. you also dial/recieve calls through the headunit, using tha phonebook/caller ID, so you never even need to take your phone out of your pocket.

Personally I think every new car should come with it standard, after all its a built in car kit that pretty much fits any phone!

Thanks for the clarification

Once again i could'nt agree more, they should come fitted as standard, and i think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the ones that are worn on the ear, people do feel like berks wearing them, although its never bothered me in the slightest, and better to wear one of those than not at all.

"All of them"

:lol: the old ones are the best ( which reminds me ) :offtopic:

A lady of the night was approached by a seargent major, who enquired " how much for the pleasure of my company " " oohhh about A tenner should do it " came the reply............ " Companyyyyyyyyy By The Left quick march " bellowed the seargent...

Then again terrible joke really :ban:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links