Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Generic Toyota Question

LeonR

Hi guys!

I'm not 100% sure im posting in the correct area here but I could not see anywhere else that was appropriate!

To cut to the chase, me and a mate are planning a road trip.. it will be about 3000 miles, various driving styles and end up on the Nurinburgring via autobahns.

I'm a Honda enthusiast and am used to 8000rpm with great reliability so i'm not sure how Toyota compare.

I've been told Toyota have great reliability also however, which leads me to this forum..

There are alot of older cars with high mileage going for good prices.

What do you guys think of the following cars?

Toyota Celica? (2 liter GT)

Toyota MR2? (not sure of the best model?)

Really what im asking is how reliable they are they and how do they handle. We would be looking at things around 150k miles at a guess!

I've seen MR2's engine bay, and they look like a real pain to work with.. do the celica and mr2 engines use cambelts that may need changing? any weak points?

I'm also quite tall at 6ft4 and not too sure if I would fit in any of them!!

Hopefully I didn't come across rude just appearing on the forum and sticking such a big question up straight away!

Thanks,

Leon

Celicas and MR2s run the same engine anyway (assuming we are talking the 2l types)

If you want a drivers car go for the MR2, if you want a swoopy looking coupe with back seats and a bit boot get the Celica. (shame its FWD)

The MR2 in my signature had done 160k miles and never gave me any issues at all. (apart from the usual leaky T bar roof)

Don't plan on a ring trip unless the car is 100% tip top though. if anything is on its way out, it'll break. On my first trip I cooked a brand new set of pads in under 1000 miles!

I'm not looking forward to changing the clutch on ours :(

I'm not looking forward to changing the clutch on ours :(

The mechanic who did mine a few years ago said he never wants to do another one ever again!

Ok thanks for the help guys! :D

I will keep an eye out for different cars and see what comes up... I quite fancy a 1989 CRX to be honest, they look like they are quite light with good mpg... thats if a piston doesnt launch in to orbit when on the autobahn :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links