Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Want To Ship My T-sport To Nyc

Armz

Hey guys!

I haven't been on these forums for such a long time, sadly work commitments have me inbetween NY and UK pretty much every month. To top it off now i've learnt my company i work for is relocating me to NYC permenantly in the next 2 weeks.

So. I really don't want to sell my car at this moment as i've done so much to it, also economy is rather bad, so i figured, let me take it to NY with me. My kenwood garmin system already has the 2009 maps for north america installed :)

Does anyone have any experience in shipping a uk/euro spec car to USA, and what would need to be modified on my car for it to pass all tests there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Armz.

TBH not a clue! :lol:

Try asking on the US TOC, there's bound to be some peeps on there that have imported cars :thumbsup:

You do realise that you're gonna confuse the hell out of all the Americans if you take it over! :lol:

P.S. Be sure to keep in touch.... be handy to have someone that can send parts over for us ;)

Hey guys!

I haven't been on these forums for such a long time, sadly work commitments have me inbetween NY and UK pretty much every month. To top it off now i've learnt my company i work for is relocating me to NYC permenantly in the next 2 weeks.

So. I really don't want to sell my car at this moment as i've done so much to it, also economy is rather bad, so i figured, let me take it to NY with me. My kenwood garmin system already has the 2009 maps for north america installed :)

Does anyone have any experience in shipping a uk/euro spec car to USA, and what would need to be modified on my car for it to pass all tests there?

Cheers

Armz.

Does your car have a FMVSS label in the area of the driver's side door? If so that would make it much easier. This is from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

As a general rule, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) to be imported on a permanent basis. Vehicles (other than motorcycles) manufactured to comply with the FMVSS will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer in the area of the driver-side door. Motorcycles will have the label close to the intersection of the steering post and the handlebars. To make importation easier, when purchasing abroad a vehicle certified to the U.S. standards, a buyer should have the seller verify in the sales contract that the label is attached and present this document at the time of importation.

A vehicle without a certification label cannot be imported as a conforming vehicle. In this case, the importer must contract with a Registered Importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and post a DOT Conformance Bond in an amount equivalent to one and a half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT Conformance Bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT..._list120508.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

For how long are you going to live Stateside, any idea?

Do you think it would be difficult to find petrol stations with a high enough octane petrol over in the USA, dont they use between 87 and 93 RON?

I suppose you could supplement with octane boosters if you couldnt find any, but it is New York after all.

Hey guys!

Cheers

Armz.

Does your car have a FMVSS label in the area of the driver's side door? If so that would make it much easier. This is from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

As a general rule, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) to be imported on a permanent basis. Vehicles (other than motorcycles) manufactured to comply with the FMVSS will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer in the area of the driver-side door. Motorcycles will have the label close to the intersection of the steering post and the handlebars. To make importation easier, when purchasing abroad a vehicle certified to the U.S. standards, a buyer should have the seller verify in the sales contract that the label is attached and present this document at the time of importation.

A vehicle without a certification label cannot be imported as a conforming vehicle. In this case, the importer must contract with a Registered Importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and post a DOT Conformance Bond in an amount equivalent to one and a half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT Conformance Bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

Thanks for the help, i will check out if i have that label, :)

For how long are you going to live Stateside, any idea?

Most probably permenantly, company is paying all my relocation expenses, buying me a place out there and car if need be, but i really want to take my T-sport with me.

Do you think it would be difficult to find petrol stations with a high enough octane petrol over in the USA, dont they use between 87 and 93 RON?

I suppose you could supplement with octane boosters if you couldnt find any, but it is New York after all.

Well you're right i've seen as low as 83 octane too, the highest i saw last i was there was 95. I have to ask some of my cousins out there if they know of any higher octane service stations in Long Island. Otherwise i guess i will have to use octane boosters, and i hope continous use does not cause any problems with the car or any hoses etc...

Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers

Armz

I note there was no offer to ship parts over for us......

:lol:

:o Armz.... Long time no speak!

You could make an amazing amount of profit shipping fidanza flywheels and exedy clutches over here. They are ridiculously cheap in the US compared to the UK. :D

LOL! OK, by now you should already know thats a given! :)

:o Armz.... Long time no speak!

You could make an amazing amount of profit shipping fidanza flywheels and exedy clutches over here. They are ridiculously cheap in the US compared to the UK. :D

Hey how you been??!! Just saw some pics of your car, you got the sideskirts fitted in the end then? Looks real good!

I will def look into this. But the exchange rate right now is not very good, plus there is shipping too. Would it still work out cheaper than buying them in UK?

I should get them fitted to my car if i can manage to get the car there in one piece with no last minute problems regarding safety features and state laws.

Cheers

Armz.

Yeah I been good man. And I couldn't NOT fit the sideskirts could I? It looks horrible without them. So thanks for the list of all the parts I needed, it was a real time saver (I'm sure Parts-King was glad not to have to search for them all again too ;) ).

Not sure with the exchange rates now, but when I got my flywheel alone, I managed to save £110 I think it was. If you then went for an uprated Clutch at the same time it was about £200 savings. Postage would probably cut about £25 into that less the latest fx rate, whether you'd be able to turn a profit AND save people here money, I don't know....

If you can't take your TS over I suppose you could always get an XRS... Shame they're quite ugly. :P

Would be great if you do take it over there. Everyone will confuse it for a smaller Matrix... :lol:

If you can't take your TS over I suppose you could always get an XRS... Shame they're quite ugly. :P

Would be great if you do take it over there. Everyone will confuse it for a smaller Matrix... :lol:

Nah don't like the XRS or even the matrix out there, it looks odd.

If i can't take my T-sport then i guess it's a mustang gt for me :) My cousins just left his 2007 mustang in his driveway while he plays with his new G37S fully loaded, and offered it to my at a very cheap price. I am very tempted to say the least. But really want my T-sport there, maybe just keep it as a sunday car.

Cheers

Armz.

Great stuff.... so you'll be our Armz Dealer?! :lol:

I'll get my coat........

Great stuff.... so you'll be our Armz Dealer?! :lol:

I'll get my coat........

LOL! :D

Hey guys!

Cheers

Armz.

I've looked all over the car for the FMVss sticker and can't find one. Could it be that the sticker may have come off at some point with the previous owner? The PDF's you linked to don't have any New corollas on the list of eligible. So i'm thinking there has to be another list someplace which is more complete. any ideas?

cheers

Armz.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say you definitely have to take it with you.

The only problem I would see is having a car in the US with the steering wheel on the right. Is that permitted?

I live in Costa Rica, my CTS is some kind of export version with steering wheel on the left, and the local dealer (www.toyotacr.com) makes a fairly decent job.

Last month I bought a clutch kit for about £180, although it's a rare car here and sometimes you have to wait for parts to be imported, which may sure happen to you in the US. Although, you get used to it in time. :D

your stuffed because you would need new bumpers, lights and a bonnet for the lights. None of those will fit your car and in order to comply with US crash regs and all that the bumpers are mandatory. also in some states i believe you aren't allowed right hand drive.

your stuffed because you would need new bumpers, lights and a bonnet for the lights. None of those will fit your car and in order to comply with US crash regs and all that the bumpers are mandatory. also in some states i believe you aren't allowed right hand drive.

Tell that to the United States Postal Service. Almost all of the vehicles driven by the mail carriers are RHD so they can place the mail in the rural boxes on the roadside. Subaru used to sell a RHD Legacy wagon that was marketed specifically to rural mail carriers. As far as I know, there are no federal or state prohibitions on RHD in the US.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Every avenue i have gone down i have hit a brick wall. The Highways agency doesn't seem to want to help. I spoke to about 12 different importers in the NY area and only one offered to help. Once i was referred to the manager thats when things went downhill. Can't seem to get any straight answers out of any of them.

Finally spoke to my cousin who works in shipping and he confirmed that the cost of conversion would be anywhere from 5-10,000 Dollars. So looks like i wont be taking the car afterall.

Time to find a buyer for my pride a joy. :(

On a side note was checking out prices for cars in NY, spotted brand new Mini Cooper S works for 19,999 dollars. At that price i'm quite tempted to get one as a little runaround. Seems they get the best deals out there! :)

Cheers

Armz.

Or you could buy a kia spectra Armz, the ads speak for themself, "the spectra has such and such, the corolla does not" etc!!! :lol:

Or you could buy a kia spectra Armz, the ads speak for themself, "the spectra has such and such, the corolla does not" etc!!! :lol:

My eyes hurt that car is so darn ugly!! lol!

Cheers

Armz.

All I can add is that if someone offered me a cheap Mustang, I'd take their arm along with the keys :laughing: I would love to have one but the Tax, Insurance & Petrol consumption would be prohibitive, here :angry:

I have had 2 LHD cars & the main problem was when stuck behind a lorry on a narrow (1 lane each way) road. By the time I would be far enough out, to see if the way was clear, it would be too late. A trusted passenger in the seat next to me wasn't always available.

You would have the same problem with a RHD in the States + by buying out there you will avoid the Shipping troubles, Lights , parts etc. Parts for a Mustang, which have been going since Adam wore short pants, shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup:

:crybaby: This is my 2nd go at this. I clicked, by mistake, on "refresh" instead of "Spell check" & all was lost :rolleyes:

My eyes hurt that car is so darn ugly!! lol!

Cheers

Armz.

Ahh but the spectra has a 5 star frontal crash rating, the corolla does not.... not all about looks man :P

Do you know the ad I'm on about, I'm sick of watching it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links