Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starlet Cambelt?

chrisb1976

Hi,

I've just bought a 1997 Toyota Starlet. Its done 68,000miles. Do Starlets have cambelts? and if so how often do they need replacing?

If the cambelt snapped I take it that would be the end of the engine?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yes they do have cambelts - if you have a 2E engine,change at 40,000 miles ( takes about 40 mins to change) - if you have a 4E-FE,change at 60,000 miles(takes about 2 hours to change).

They will damage the valves/head if the belt "lets go" so change it sooner than later.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just had mine done yesterday as the 5E in the Paseo is 60k as well.

Shouldn't cost more than £100 at most I wouldn't have thought, my bill was £200 - cambelt & full service. :)

• 2 years later...

When replacing the cam belt, which of the following (if any) would u replace on a 4e at the same time?

Idler bearing, tensioner, water pump, oil pump seal, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal. All of these require the cambelt cover and cambelt off, so certainly the labour cost is lower if done at the same time.

Car is 10 years old and has travelled 60,000 miles.

Many thanks.

Hi Chris,

Yes they do have cambelts - if you have a 2E engine,change at 40,000 miles ( takes about 40 mins to change) - if you have a 4E-FE,change at 60,000 miles(takes about 2 hours to change).

They will damage the valves/head if the belt "lets go" so change it sooner than later.

:thumbsup:

If it's anything like the 5E engine then a snapped cambelt will NOT do any damage to the internals. The 5E is a non interference engine ( I thnk that's the term ) so nomatter what happens the pistons never meet the valves.

Either way though, for peace of mind and continued motoring bliss you should always change the cambelt if you're unsure about it.

yeah, i hear people saying that it is a non interference engine, but other say its not???

Dunno about the 4E, but the 5E most definitely is non interference. ( I've had mine in so many pieces over the last year that I now know everything there is to know about the 5E-FHE ! )

• 15 years later...

What ia the difference between 4e 5e 5e fhe and how do yo tell