Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Celica Questions

G.C

Hi, just bought an X reg celica VVTI with 100k on the clock, just a few questions, driving it home and the little orange engine light came on the dash, the oil, water and temp are all fine, what could this mean? also is the celica belt or chain driven, anything else i should know about the car, common faults... things to look out for etc?

Thanks in advance, Gary.

I am pretty sure they are chain driven, and the engine light could mean anything, broken sensor, low liquid level etc you need to check your fault codes i have no idea how to do this on a gen 7 i'm sure someone can tell you.

If your CEL has illuminated, your best bet is to find someone local with a fault code reader so you can start to figure out what the actual fault is.

It's best to do a search on here or just have a good nose through all the threads, the common problems on the 140 have been mentioned a number of times. You'll find the most common problem to be burning oil, and engines running dry of oil.

It might be the airflow sensor if there is an aftermarket intake fitted. It happened to me twice when I had an Blitz intake, first time I got the sensor changed at Toyota but second time I cleaned it and it worked fine again.

ok tanks for the replies guys, took it to my mates garage who has a diagnostic machine, turns out the 1st cat is faulty, i have 12 months MOT on it so not an immidiate problem. Im new to celicas but have had a whole number of cars that ive worked on over the years, from a 1972 beetle to a BMW M3, so have had a fair bit of experience, just wondering why theres not a great deal of aftermarket mods etc for the celica? am i just looking in the wrong places, ive managed to get a set of angel eyes and some lowering springs, but really theres not a great deal of products out there, ideally i wanted coil overs but couldnt find them. what are the Koni 35mm drop springs like? as i want a lowered look, not to low, but dont want an uncomftable ride.

It's a Japanese car which can be why parts aren't always readily available. If it is performance mods you're looking for, there aren't many as its rather tuned up enough as is.

dont put in lowering springs! as far as i know Tein make coilovers for it. good quality. height adjustable. sexy ;)

I think you may find it's the first lambda sensor that's faulty then? There's only one cat on them as far as I was aware.

Coilover spring sets are quite expensive though. If you want to lower and still maintain a reasonable ride with just springs then the Eibach Pro seem to be the most recommended, as they're one of the softest sprung of the available lowering springs on the market. Try www.fensport.co.uk

• 9 months later...
ok tanks for the replies guys, took it to my mates garage who has a diagnostic machine, turns out the 1st cat is faulty, i have 12 months MOT on it so not an immidiate problem. Im new to celicas but have had a whole number of cars that ive worked on over the years, from a 1972 beetle to a BMW M3, so have had a fair bit of experience, just wondering why theres not a great deal of aftermarket mods etc for the celica? am i just looking in the wrong places, ive managed to get a set of angel eyes and some lowering springs, but really theres not a great deal of products out there, ideally i wanted coil overs but couldnt find them. what are the Koni 35mm drop springs like? as i want a lowered look, not to low, but dont want an uncomftable ride.

Hi Mate...

Did you by any chance lowered your celica already? I'm also going to do mine but only changing springs as I don't have much budget for the whole set including the shocks... what about you? what did you put in? just a spring and what brand? how's the rides and any bad points like knacking??? some Info. will be of great Help.. cheers....

Boynxdoor, if you click on a Members profile, it will tell you when they were last on TOC. In G.C's case, the two posts on this Thread are the only two he ever made 10 months ago, so the chances of him reading your post in the near future are slim in the extreme.

Boynxdoor, if you click on a Members profile, it will tell you when they were last on TOC. In G.C's case, the two posts on this Thread are the only two he ever made 10 months ago, so the chances of him reading your post in the near future are slim in the extreme.

Thanks Mate,, will check with that next time... I've done my lowering and all i can say is it was great and fantastic... do a little concern with the camber though even though it was done by laser with 4 wheel Geometry Alignment Data...

Front

Camber -1.00left -0.59right

Toe 0.00 left 0.00right

Rear

Camber -1.20left -1.17 right

Toe 0.00left 0.01 right

is that reasonable not to eat my tyres taht quick? they say it's good enough to last for 2 1/2 yrs... You know any idea about this....

New Springs should be left for few a weeks to "settle" before a Laser Alignment is carried out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links