Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Fuel Consumption...again...

bitwood

Hi all,

New to this site but hoping someone can shed some light on the problem.

I have recently bought a 2.2 D tourer and although happy with the car its fuel consumption is starting to worry me. The computer tells me that it returns between 47 to 50+ MPG on a run (steady 75mph).

However at my last fill up the computer showed 48.4 mpg but when I checked the old fashioned way having filled up, my calculations are just under 40mpg (52.82 litres to 462 miles).

The range display also showed that on a full tank the car has a range of 492 miles........on 13 galls that is an expected mpg of some 37 mpg ! !

I have read the forum re various other consumption probs but was wondering if other people checked against the computer?

The car has done just over 11000 miles.........

Thanks

It's actually 39.79 mpg given your figures. A lot will depend on your driving. Mostly short journeys, especially in the winter, on my 2l D4D gives below 40 mpg. Over the 2 years I have had it since new its average is 45 mpg. On long runs to the south coast (~450 miles) I get about 53 to 60 depending on whether I do over 70 or not.

The thing to do is to record it over a period of time - that gets you an average and you can see the variations over the seasons. Without data you'll have nothing to give a garage to go on.

The trip computers on Avensii were always a bit optimistic, mine was usually 5-10mpg higher than the spreadsheet I use. I believe there have been posts about this in the past that say the same thing.

I don't think thats a bad return for a tourer.

I have a 2.0 D4D and regularly get 38-40mpg (which comes from a series of mixed driving).

I don't think thats a bad return for a tourer.

I have a 2.0 D4D and regularly get 38-40mpg (which comes from a series of mixed driving).

Been here before on the forums, I think this is pretty poor for a diesel. I have a 1.8VVTi petrol on an 02 plate and regularly get 38 mpg on a fairly mixed bag of town and A road (single carriageway) driving with an average speed of 25 mph (due to the town bits of 20's and 30's limits and traffic congestion).

If I had a diesel I would expect more but from reading the posts in the past, it seems like this is as good as it gets for the Avensis diesel.

Thanks all for your responses......I have dug a bit deeper into the posts and find it is a constant theme.

We sold a Grand Scenic diesel to buy the Avensis. This was a 1.9 dci (120BHP) and returned on average 47-48 mpg which bearing in mind its size etc I thought was acceptable....

The Avensis however I feel is unacceptable it is a diesel after all..........I also run a 1.8 Vectra (petrol)...on a run that gives me 42mpg on average.............more than the Avensis ! !

My previous figures highlighted above for the Avensis are A road and M way driving with two children and no load..........I will try the suggestion on the forums about hitting the power band and see what happens to the mpg...not sure about leaving it in 5th.....

With all that said the trip computer is still way out......if it is unable to compute the mpg accurately is it recording the total mileage with any accuracy ?

Out of interest has anyone any figures for a 2.0 L petrol tourer?

Bitwood...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links