Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cambelt Change

datsun100a

Anyone ever done the cambelt change themselves on a 05 2.0d4d? cheapest quote so far is £180 using oem belt. first quote was £255 from main dealer :crybaby:

Anyone ever done the cambelt change themselves on a 05 2.0d4d? cheapest quote so far is £180 using oem belt. first quote was £255 from main dealer :crybaby:

hello mate

you can change even injectors by yourself with no problems.

but this specific belt changing is very important job and must be done by Toyota only with full responsibility.

in case someone changes it at private garage - they can admit mis timing and the result would be the followiing:

- loss of power;

- poor burning process;

- poor T/C performance;

- EGR valve clogging with carbon due to poor burning process;

- detonning/vibration;

- over fuel consumption

etc. i would not recomend you to safe 75 pounds.

cheers/Igor

To datsun100a,

Have carried out belt change. Technically it is quite straight forward, but you have an awful lot of bits to remove to change belt. If you have jack, axle stands & all other spanners/ sockets etc etc your fine. But you need a puller for bottom crankshaft pulley, located via woodruff key to crank. You will not remove it without puller. I always change water pump along with belt as new belt puts to much pressure on old water pump bearings & have add quite a few un happy customers coming back with failed water pump even though i warned them to change it.

Having said that Toyota price sounds reasonable & if anything goes wrong after belt fitment you should be covered.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: If you do it yourself, make sure you use Toyota belt.

To datsun100a,

Igormus posted whilst i was writing, i'm a one finger typer. Just one other item, if belt timing is wrong your valves & pistons will be shaking hands.

Regards, Beagh.

To datsun100a,

Igormus posted whilst i was writing, i'm a one finger typer. Just one other item, if belt timing is wrong your valves & pistons will be shaking hands.

Regards, Beagh.

YES BEAGH

IT IS THE WORST THE OWNER CAN WAIT.

CHEERS :thumbsup:

IGOR

Thanks for advice. the guy who quoted 180 is a toyota trained mechanic and a few people recommended him. problem over here is choice is limited in my area to one dealer who i would rather not give my money to. going to try another dealer but it would mean a few hours drive.

Thanks for advice. the guy who quoted 180 is a toyota trained mechanic and a few people recommended him. problem over here is choice is limited in my area to one dealer who i would rather not give my money to. going to try another dealer but it would mean a few hours drive.

if hes ex toyota

he'l be ok :)

if hes ex toyota

he'l be ok :)

hello

I'd disagree with you. The idea is to release the author from responsibility.

the enegine overhauling costs more !

cheers/Igor

• 1 year later...

Some thoughts on changing a timing belt on my 2005 avensis 2.0d ( 1Cd-ftv) engine; it was significantly more time consuming than my previous car belt changes - took about 8hrs ! There is a lot of dismantling involved , and the plastic undercovers add to this as they are awkward to realign with those tedious plastic clips.Removing the crankshaft pulley involved a y-shaped piece of roofing stay as described elsewhere and a hub puller (careful not to break the pulley casting as you can't get much depth to the claws.Don't lost the spline (Not described on the toyota CD ROM) .The crankshaft pulley is not marked TDC in the same way as the CDROM diagram on mine - there is a flat on the cog which allows indexing.The cambelt came off easily and the replacement went on easily - (i used a Continental branded one £20 from Eurocarparts can't believe the Toyota one any higher spec).Compressing the timing belt tensioner was easy enough in a large vice .I changed the other two belts at the same time even though didn't look worn - I figure the parts cost is not worth risking - though didn't use the whole timing belt kit as this is 60 000 miles not 120 000.

The whole TDC indexing business is important if you move anything , but it stands to reason that , as long as you don't turn pulleys with the belt off ,it shouldn't change the timing if you take off and put on with the important pulleys stationary.

The most difficult bit of the whole job was putting the crankshaft pulley back on .The machining on the crankshaft does not allow the spline to be fitted after the the pulley is on.It has to go on first and gets shoved back out of the way as the pulley is fitted.I wasted a good hour before I figured the only way to do this was to file the pulley spline housing a bit wider at the back and the spline a bit narrower at the front and having thoroughly degreased it , araldited it in position before refitting the pulley.Anyone know a cleverer solution?I can't see why the shaft machining doesn't extend to the tip of the shaft .

Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links